Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-16-2012, 11:59 PM   #1

My RCA DVD RTB 1100 quit playing after 3 days. Became very hot and door would not open. Reported to Redwood and I was sent a new DVD player,same kind. This one becomes very hot also and sound blips in and out. Anyone else have RCA problems?
DonMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 02:09 AM   #2

I had the same issue over the Canada Day Weekend with my unit skipping CDs and refusing to play DVDs.

Got a new unit from my dealer the other day and I will be torture testing this one when I spend a month in Nova Scotia in August... along with all the other stuff.

Old 07-17-2012, 09:54 AM   #3

I have the same problem with mine and i have replaced it once already. I also have my sat receiver on top of the RCA I'm installing some cooling fans to stop the overheating problem, I'll let you know if it works or not.

"75 FEET OF FUN ON THE RUN"
KR2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 04:49 PM   #4

We leave the door open to let some air get in there. My RCA hasn't worked right since day one. I just received a new remote yesterday and will try it this weekend. Electronics don't like heat and this is a prime example. We may remove the glass and replace it with a decorative screen. See what happens with the new remote.
Old 07-17-2012, 10:06 PM   #5

If anyone replaces the RCA with a better product, please let us know. I will be most anxious to see how mine works this weekend. I wish Redwood would have made the Bose system an option...I would have paid for that without a doubt.

Old 07-18-2012, 09:40 AM   #6
Site Team

Mine needs to be replaced because half way through a movie it just stops and most of the time the remote doesn't work even with the door open. I called the factory and with Brian's help they sent me a new unit. However when I hooked it up just before the trip I'm on now, it just popped and never really turned on. So we installed a new CD machine in the bedroom and we've been watching the movies there. When we get home next week we'll send both units to the factory.

Old 07-18-2012, 11:09 AM   #7

Obviously, the factory could do a better QC job on many things - as has been discussed.

But the real "head scratcher" is the poor quality and high failure rate of some of the components that their major suppliers are sending them.

Redwood's reputation gets tarnished and owners disappointed every time these major suppliers use us as their "Quality Control" by shipping poorly designed or poorly tested unitsto Redwood - and then "happily" honoring the product warranty. How about shipping a better product so that Redwood doesn't integrate yourpoor quality product into another 1,000 units?

From reading this forum, the RCA unit seems to be a particularly poor quality product. The Auto-leveling system andoutsidekeypad are tied forsecond.

Not defending... but you have tosympathize with Redwood on this issue.
Mike & Pam '12 36RL, Kodiak Discs, 17.5" G114s H-Rated, SRE4000 w/HD Shackles, Joy Rider Shocks, Flex Air, 5.5 Onan, W&D, DW, 4 Scare Lights, (2) 6V Trojan T-145s; Progressive EMS-HW50C, Winegard DTV Sat, Sony/Denon 4K Home Theater, WiFiRanger EliteAC Pack, weBoost 4G-X Cell Booster.

2022 RAM 3500 Limited CC, LB, 4x4, DRW, Max Tow, Cummins HO, AISIN, 4.10, Mopar 30K w/OEM Prep, Transfer Flow 70gal Aux Tank/Toolbox.
5th_Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 11:49 AM   #8

Lowest bidder?
Old 07-18-2012, 12:28 PM   #9

Sounds like the RCA unit is a first grade piece of crap and Redwood need to do a recall and replace the unit with a better quality one.

Nothing like driving around in a Bentley with a transistor radio taped to the dash for a sound system.

Old 07-18-2012, 12:38 PM   #10

If you need to tape the radio to the dash in your Bentley, make sure you use only the best tape available!

Our Blue Ray/Surround Sound system is an LG and seems to be working well. Only issue is that the speakers were wired incorrectly. The center speaker was on the back left and the back left was wired to the right front. A mess! I rewired using the built in guide for the correct output to the correct speaker. A couple of the wires were too short and fell back into the wall but used the old trusty coat hanger to retrive and completed the repair. Something that should have come from the factory wired correctly. Do Iexpect too much?
Old 07-18-2012, 10:06 PM   #11

Grandpa I would say you Don't expect to much in my mind. That said it would seem the the industry is rife with poor workmanship. I have a friend with a Monoco Exectutive & has had many of the same problems we are - he just paid closer to 1/2 mill!Edited by: Lawr&Moe
Lawr&Moe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 12:06 AM   #12

Grandpa...NO you do not expect to much. To many people just say OH! That is just the way it is. The rv industry is just rife with problems. This is a REDWOOD according to the company. A Residential RV. Nice eye candy for for those that don't look any further. How long have they been making this REDWOOD RV. Should you begin production on new styles when you have not worked the bugs out of the ones you started with. I know I am just a consumer that spends his money...what do I know. What kind of tape do you think I should use Grandpa??
Old 07-19-2012, 09:16 AM   #13

Gorilla tape is my choice. It looks good next to the fuzzy dice hanging from my Bentley's rear view mirror.
Old 07-19-2012, 08:05 PM   #14

Send a message via Yahoo to Babby
5th_Time~ I agree with you. Redwood as the producer of a new product and I as a consumer of the same new product are both striving for a successfully progressive new product in the end. This forum and feedback from the consumers give the producer great information that will help them take great strides in improving their product. For me, they have not refused one opportunity to make my product satisfactory. Are there bad apples in the bushel? Yep! They are in there from the bottom of the bushel to the top! Its a process to make it all right. This forum has done a tremendous job in allowing consumers to vent and solve issues. I hope it continues to do so.
Babby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 10:08 PM   #15

Well I picked up my new 36RL yesterday and it looks like I too have a hunk of junk RCA blue ray player. Craziest part is the blue ray player will not respond to the remote if the tv is on?!!!! I also noted that when playing a cd, the volume will go up and down on its own. Also when playing a cd, i noticed that i cannot adjust the equalizer to add more or less treble and/or bass. Looks like this is going to be added to the list of warranty replacement parts that is getting ordered on Monday. Maybe Redwood will have found a better product by the time they ship me a new blue ray/receiver.

Old 07-22-2012, 10:06 AM   #16

Enroute,

They will ship you another RCA unit...

When I come back from my trip, if I have all the same issues that you mentioned I will be calling Brian directly and requesting replacement of the RCA unit with an entirely different manufacturer.

I suggest anyone with these issues do the same.... seems like some units are shipped with an LG system.

Old 07-23-2012, 10:03 AM   #17

Our RCA did not work from day one and after reading everyone's post we decided to avoid all the hassle and replace it with an Onyko receiver and a Sony blue-ray player. Works great,

WhichWay2Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 11:30 AM   #18

This is the same situation where Redwood relies on name-brand component suppliers thathave good specs, but deliverhigh-failureproducts. Our units are assembled from dozens of component suppliers. When I have a big name component fail, I am disappointed in the supplier - especially afterRedwood bends over backwards to make it right. In this case, you should be angry at RCA. Shame on them for "bagging" Redwood with such poor quality product! If anything, Redwood should change suppliers just because they're costing them a fortune.

My Redwood is a beautiful, well-engineered unit that hada number of problems.Several were Redwood's fault that could have been avoided.But the factory has beendoing whatever it takes to make it right regardless of their expense - which surprised me. Even so, I still complained - as you can read from my posts.

But if my unit was stolen, vandalized or wrecked, I would go out and purchase the same exact unit that I own - and I'll bet that 90+% would do the same. Why? because in the end, after the disappointments, warranty repairs and fixing things myself, I just wouldn't be able tofind a higher quality unit with this many features and optionsat thisprice point. Keep in mind, you didn't pay $175,000 for your Redwood - it just looks like you did.
Mike & Pam '12 36RL, Kodiak Discs, 17.5" G114s H-Rated, SRE4000 w/HD Shackles, Joy Rider Shocks, Flex Air, 5.5 Onan, W&D, DW, 4 Scare Lights, (2) 6V Trojan T-145s; Progressive EMS-HW50C, Winegard DTV Sat, Sony/Denon 4K Home Theater, WiFiRanger EliteAC Pack, weBoost 4G-X Cell Booster.

2022 RAM 3500 Limited CC, LB, 4x4, DRW, Max Tow, Cummins HO, AISIN, 4.10, Mopar 30K w/OEM Prep, Transfer Flow 70gal Aux Tank/Toolbox.
5th_Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 12:39 PM   #19

5th_Time...Well said.
Old 07-23-2012, 03:20 PM   #20
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5th_Time
This is the same situation where Redwood relies on name-brand component suppliers thathave good specs, but deliverhigh-failureproducts. Our units are assembled from dozens of component suppliers. When I have a big name component fail, I am disappointed in the supplier - especially afterRedwood bends over backwards to make it right. In this case, you should be angry at RCA. Shame on them for "bagging" Redwood with such poor quality product! If anything, Redwood should change suppliers just because they're costing them a fortune.

My Redwood is a beautiful, well-engineered unit that hada number of problems.Several were Redwood's fault that could have been avoided.But the factory has beendoing whatever it takes to make it right regardless of their expense - which surprised me. Even so, I still complained - as you can read from my posts.

But if my unit was stolen, vandalized or wrecked, I would go out and purchase the same exact unit that I own - and I'll bet that 90+% would do the same. Why? because in the end, after the disappointments, warranty repairs and fixing things myself, I just wouldn't be able tofind a higher quality unit with this many features and optionsat thisprice point. Keep in mind, you didn't pay $175,000 for your Redwood - it just looks like you did.

X2 5th time