Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-24-2013, 01:38 AM   #1

I have a 2013 Redwood 36RL and on my second camping trip with it & decided to use my built in RCA surround sound Blu-Ray player to watch RV the movie with the family. Well only the AM/FM stereo will work the disc drive will not open. I tried a bunch of things with no success. So I unplugged everything & removed the cover & got the tray to open with some alignment of the drive inserted the disc & it sounded like a jet taking off that drive was spinning so fast. I unplugged it & got my disc out. I have read that a lot of other people have had problems with this RCA unit. I guess I will give Redwood a call on Mon. Anyone else have this same surround sound unit in their coach ?
blrover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 08:30 AM   #2
Site Team

The RCA players were all replaced with better units because of problems. Ours would only run about half way through a movie and then shut down.
Old 08-24-2013, 09:57 AM   #3

Our 36FL came with a LG surround sound system and we have had no problems with that component thusfar
Old 08-24-2013, 10:20 AM   #4

Yes the replacement was an LG. So far so good on ours, and it does have wifi
atom ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 10:36 AM   #5

The Crossroads Service Center replaced ours with a LG 3D Blueray entertainment center. Works like champ!Edited by: Adamsvr
Adamsvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 11:52 AM   #6

After I posted this I saw a thread on this topic that shows most if not all have had the same issues with their RCA unit & had it replaced with an LG. Will Redwood send me the replacement or will I have to go to the dealer ? I guess I will go get a Blu-Ray player while on this trip so we can enjoy movies + I want a player for the bedroom tv.
Thanks,
Brian

Old 08-24-2013, 11:55 AM   #7

I recently purchased a blu ray player at Target for $80, wi fi enabled, with built in program for netflix, etcworks great in the coach bedroom
Old 08-24-2013, 12:06 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by COLJDM
I recently purchased a blu ray player at Target for $80, wi fi enabled, with built in program for netflix, etcworks great in the coach bedroom
X2, I got an LG blue ray with wifi at Wallmart I think for $85. Works great in the Bedroom.
atom ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 06:43 PM   #9

Just got our replacement for our defective RCA unit, just called our dealer and he did the rest. We are are doing the install. If you have not already discovered it, the speaker wires are not color coded so you will need to hook them up one speaker at a time so you can figure out which set of wires goes to each speaker, you will also have to splice a new end on the sub woofer line as it is different on the LG replacement unit. Our LG came with the new end included.
Old 08-24-2013, 07:31 PM   #10
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel chaser

Just got our replacement for our defective RCA unit, just called our dealer and he did the rest. We are are doing the install. If you have not already discovered it, the speaker wires are not color coded so you will need to hook them up one speaker at a time so you can figure out which set of wires goes to each speaker, you will also have to splice a new end on the sub woofer line as it is different on the LG replacement unit. Our LG came with the new end included.
The sub woofer can be found behind the fireplace on the RLs
Old 08-26-2013, 08:10 PM   #11

Installed the new LG unit last night , had to splice the new connector on to the subwoofer wires so it would plug in , other than that it was a 15 minute install and works great.
Old 08-26-2013, 08:41 PM   #12

Can anyone give me a contact to get ours replaced? I've tried our dealer and can't get a call back. I'm using a Vizio connected via HDMI, but would like to have the surround sound working. Thanks.

USN Retired

Radio_Flyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 09:26 PM   #13

Also had to replace my RCA with an LG, but now the words or sound is a split second slower than the visual, anybody have the same problem?
George66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 10:46 PM   #14

George66 is your LG connected directly to your TV? Is is connected via HDMI or optical?
Old 08-26-2013, 10:56 PM   #15

Radio Flyer I recommend you contactLeonard or Ron atCrossroads at 1</span>855-226-7496</span>
Old 08-27-2013, 12:58 AM   #16

Thanks everyone for the help. I went to Target to get a cheap Samsung Blu-Ray player to watch movies for the time being while I wait for my replacement from Crossroads. I just had to do without surround sound .Then I will just move the Samsung to the bedroom tv. I called Leonard today &amp; he is sending me a replacement under warranty along with a call tag to send the faulty RCA unit back to them. Very easy since my dealer is about one hour away. I did notice the wires were not color coded &amp; thought about marking them but didn't have a good way to mark them at the time. The wire you spliced must be the optical wire. I looked around for a replacement but found only complete systems with speakers included &amp; only the RCA models have the FM tuner which is nice to have.
Thanks,
Brian

Old 08-27-2013, 08:31 AM   #17

The wire I spliced is for the subwoofer, it uses a different plug than the other speakers on the LG unit. Hope this helps.
Old 08-27-2013, 10:09 AM   #18

George 66, we also had that sound problem. I discovered if you turn the TV volume down to nothing and adjust volume level through dvd player that cures the offset/echo effect.
Traded '13 GMC Denali DRW D/A
Currently rv & truckless
Replacement undetermined
travelin' texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 10:29 AM   #19

Thanks everyone, just got off the phone with Leonard, new blu-ray player on its way with a call tag. Nice guy to talk to and very helpful.

USN Retired

Radio_Flyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 09:35 AM   #20

Did you happen to receive your replacement Blu-ray player ? It has been two weeks &amp; I have not received it yet. Just wondering how long it should take.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radio_Flyer
Thanks everyone, just got off the phone with Leonard, new blu-ray player on its way with a call tag. Nice guy to talk to and very helpful.