Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-02-2018, 02:32 AM   #1

Raining in our RW

We went out this weekend before we head South for a month and it started to rain inside!!!
Ac's were not frosted over as I always run on HI fan and On. It was about 98 today.
Since only a long weekend I didn't want to get into an AC remove there so just tilted the jacks and all was good.
Once home tonight I put my wall scope up into the outlet ducts and I see that our rear AC lags that hold it down are right through the duct work. I have not confirmed this is the leak yet since I will pull the AC off the roof this week to see what is going on. My guess is some seal up there is let go and letting all the condensation right back inside.
Anyone else run into this ?

Steve
Old 07-04-2018, 05:55 PM   #2

Send a message via AIM to NW Snowbirds
Similar situation with raining in the living room. Pulled the rear aircon and found an extra hole at the edge of the foam gasket, thru the membrane and plywood roofing. Apparently the foam gasket shrunk or shifted from road vibration opening up the passage for water entry. Assume it was an installation error not caught by quality control!
Old 07-04-2018, 06:42 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW Snowbirds View Post
. Assume it was an installation error not caught by quality control!
Surely that was sarcasm??
Traded '13 GMC Denali DRW D/A
Currently rv & truckless
Replacement undetermined
travelin' texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 11:17 PM   #4

All Fixed!!!!
Not fun today since it is about 98 degrees.
Took both ac's apart and turns out the drain holes under the cooling side radiator were plugged on the front one. This is right next to the large return air hole so in it came. Not a very good design as this side leaks down into a small pan just a little bigger then the radiator which only had two 1/8" holes. I enlarged the holes while in there.
So I learned another yearly maintenance thing to add to the list.

The rear was fine except the front when assembled was missing a screw so was not a tight seal on one corner but this was not the leak just another problem to repair.

Then onto the stove flapper vent that fell off and repaired that. Thought I was done and then noticed the wire loom holder under the slide had broke at one end so fixed that.

I hope that is it so we can get on the road next week.

Steve
Old 07-05-2018, 09:28 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Char & Steve View Post
All Fixed!!!!
Not fun today since it is about 98 degrees.
Took both ac's apart and turns out the drain holes under the cooling side radiator were plugged on the front one. This is right next to the large return air hole so in it came. Not a very good design as this side leaks down into a small pan just a little bigger then the radiator which only had two 1/8" holes. I enlarged the holes while in there.
So I learned another yearly maintenance thing to add to the list.

The rear was fine except the front when assembled was missing a screw so was not a tight seal on one corner but this was not the leak just another problem to repair.

Then onto the stove flapper vent that fell off and repaired that. Thought I was done and then noticed the wire loom holder under the slide had broke at one end so fixed that.

I hope that is it so we can get on the road next week.

Steve

I had the exact issue with my last SOB... was in DC ( Cherry Hill Park ) and it was raining inside.. I was beside myself then my neighbor told me to check the weep holes under the top...

They are now added to my yearly maintenance list...
Ford truck guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 11:43 PM   #6

I have my A/c leak and Keystone had me send them pictures, they called back and told me the A/C was not mounted right. Colman also said not mounted right and sent me the missing brackets that go inside the celling. I can not do the job so Keystone is having me take it to the Rv dealer and if they confirme that the hole in the roof is too small to fit the new brackets through then they will do the job. my rig is out of warranty but because this falls under poor workmanship they will cover it. these A/c units where not built to be lagged to the roof . With out the inside bracket the A/c gaskets can not be adjusted as per manual.
1998 International 4700LP 4 door ,DT530,300hp 6sp.with a 4:10 ,air ride https://www.redwoodowners.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic1866_1.gif[/IMG]
ET156 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2018, 05:06 PM   #7

Send a message via AIM to NW Snowbirds
Could you please post the photos so that others can determine if the "brackets" are missing. I have had my aircon off and I don't recall any mounting brackets.
Old 07-08-2018, 02:44 AM   #8

I will take a picture of the bracket and the adjustment screws that Colman sent me tomorrow and post it. If you have the A/C manuals the picture is in there also.
1998 International 4700LP 4 door ,DT530,300hp 6sp.with a 4:10 ,air ride https://www.redwoodowners.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic1866_1.gif[/IMG]
Old 07-08-2018, 05:29 PM   #9

Watching this thread. Our rear A/C has never been right. New from factory, loud vibration, in for warranty twice... No vibration but now (just OUT of warranty) find that the heat/cold valve has broken so no heat. Repair guy says valve cannot be repaired, so NEW A/C in our near future. DEFINITELY want to check the install when we do it, because I KNOW the ductwork/vents/install is WRONG. Lots of noise up there. Hasn't "rained" yet, but sure won't die of shock if it does!

Living the Dream in our 2015 38RL: 1600 watts solar, 800 ah lithium, slide in slide, residential refer, washer/dryer, Moryde 8K, H rated tires, Kodiak disc brakes, Drainmaster system, SeeLevel II
Our big girl is dragged around by our 2019 RAM 3500 Limited DRW
Grateful Veterans, Proud Americans, Devoted Partners, Parents and Grandparents!
LOVE the Full Time RV Life @OurRomanyLife
RomanyLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 11:17 PM   #10

Update A/c bracket, here is a picture of the bracket that RW did not install at the factory. bracket is needed so as to be able to adjust the gasket and keep it from leaking. You can find this picture in the Airxcel manual on page #6.20180709_145034.jpg
Old 07-09-2018, 11:35 PM   #11

WOW! Thank you so much for taking the time to post this!

Living the Dream in our 2015 38RL: 1600 watts solar, 800 ah lithium, slide in slide, residential refer, washer/dryer, Moryde 8K, H rated tires, Kodiak disc brakes, Drainmaster system, SeeLevel II
Old 07-09-2018, 11:53 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by RomanyLife View Post
Watching this thread. Our rear A/C has never been right. New from factory, loud vibration, in for warranty twice... No vibration but now (just OUT of warranty) find that the heat/cold valve has broken so no heat. Repair guy says valve cannot be repaired, so NEW A/C in our near future. DEFINITELY want to check the install when we do it, because I KNOW the ductwork/vents/install is WRONG. Lots of noise up there. Hasn't "rained" yet, but sure won't die of shock if it does!

just in case you didn't know If the heat pump is turned on and the thermostat is set 8* or higher then the current temp the heat pump most of the time will not start. so if its 52* out side and you ask it for 62* inside it may not start . Not 100% sure if that outside temp and or inside temp that the 8* swing is based on. should be stated in the owners manual.
Hope this helps and save you a bill.
Old 07-10-2018, 12:13 AM   #13

My heat pumps have started with a much higher difference between inside and outside temps, but you don't want to set the heat pump much more that 3 degrees above the inside temp or the furnace with start. Also once the outside temps get below approx 40 there isn't enough heat left for the heat pump to extract, so you'll only get cold air.
2018 Chevy 3500HD Crew Cab High Country DRW, D/A, 2016 RW39MB, Dual ACs, Auto Level, Auto Sat Dish, Stack W/D, King Sleep #, 17.5" Sailuns w/Disc, MORryde IS & Pin, Comfort Ride Hitch, 5.5 Onan, Res Fridge & Induction Cook Top
mhs4771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 01:17 AM   #14

Thanks, and Yes we definitely know about that. we had a technician come out and he did a lot of testing on it and basically when you turn the heat pump on it's as if you have the airconditioner on it blows 32゚ air. The problem Is that the valve that switches between heat and cold has seized and it is not repairable. I guess this happens pretty frequently in heat pump air conditioners. Unfortunately they cannot be repaired because they are located inside of the tubes and they cannot open the tubes because of the hazard involved. Thanks again!

Old 10-24-2018, 08:04 PM   #15

big roll of good quality foil tape for seams too

i need to pull ac install new gasket soon

its not doing much good in the box if it ever stops raining here

not leaking but sure it needs service

karlb.
proteus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2018, 01:25 AM   #16

UPDATE:
Due to the fact that RW did not use the brackets that came with the ac unit , this is when it was installed at the factory. There is no way to install the right brackets due to the way the celling and duct work is constructed. What RW did do to install the ac unites and the adjustment screws is wrong and just another way for them to save a few $$. What RW did do is install 4 Teflon washers under the 4 lag screws that secure the ac unit to the roof. Because the Teflon washers are so thick they don't allow enough pressure to be put on the gaskets to properly seal around the ac unit, allowing the rain to weep in. when the ac is running it might be pulling outside air in from around the gasket. This is the info. that I got from the dealer that fixed my problem with the gaskets. the dealer had to install thinner Teflon washers so the lag screws would tighten down enough to compress the gasket and now the indicator tabs are at the proper adjustment as per manual.
Old 10-25-2018, 03:56 PM   #17

i dont have a manual handy but what is the correct amount of compression ?
i have a new gasket to install on the rear ac figure its time to clean dirt algae drains roof clean and inspect ducts etc retape as needed when it gets back to the shop next week.
proteus is offline   Reply With Quote