Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-08-2012, 03:14 PM   #1

I was sitting in chair the other night and I heard a raccoon chatter, I didn't think much about other than I thought the chatter was a little loud. This morning my wife and I both heard it again, this afternoon I heard it again, each time I here it it sounds as though it is coming from the roof right above the surround speaker closest to the chair slide towards the front (I have a FL front living room). Does anybody have any ideas on how to get rid of it and does anybody have any ideas on how it could have got there? I have pulled the speaker down and found no signs of the coon in the roof line not to mention there is not enough room for one in the roof in that area, I have looked all over and cannot find any signs of where this critter could be coming in at. I pulled out the outlet and light behind the couch and found hat there is a lot of room for one to live but I could not find anyway for it to get there.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

"75 FEET OF FUN ON THE RUN"
KR2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 04:34 PM   #2

Oh my...I cannot offer any suggestions, but did want to say good luck getting rid of that little fella. We found a nest and 6 babies in the wall of my office a few weeks ago. We still are not sure how they got in there, but needless to say, they are gone now! Sadly, we had to pull the drywall apart to get in there.

Old 07-08-2012, 04:54 PM   #3

Well I have for sure figured out where it is, it's right above that speaker I mentioned earlier. There can't be 4 inches right there. Must not be a small coon to fit in that space.

Old 07-08-2012, 05:14 PM   #4

Good luck catching that rascal! Any ideas how he got into the roof to begin with??

Old 07-08-2012, 07:12 PM   #5

Good luck getting him out!! Hopefully soon if it's a couple weeks from now the bigger problem will be very apparent... I would leave that one speaker out to make it easy for him to get out. Easier to catch him in the living area then not being able to catch him at all in the ceiling.

Full Timers in our 2013 36FL with MoRryde 8000# IS suspension. Pulled by 2012 Sport Chassis with Hensley Trailer Saver Hitch.
UNDRPSI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 08:15 PM   #6
Site Team

Are sure they're in there and not just up om your roof? I can't imagine them getting inside without chewing a hole in the side of the unit.

Old 07-08-2012, 08:28 PM   #7

OK Bryan, I'm calling your bluff. Isn't this a hoax to see how many people will respond?? Raccoons in your Redwood... Yeah right.
Mike & Pam '12 36RL, Kodiak Discs, 17.5" G114s H-Rated, SRE4000 w/HD Shackles, Joy Rider Shocks, Flex Air, 5.5 Onan, W&D, DW, 4 Scare Lights, (2) 6V Trojan T-145s; Progressive EMS-HW50C, Winegard DTV Sat, Sony/Denon 4K Home Theater, WiFiRanger EliteAC Pack, weBoost 4G-X Cell Booster.

2022 RAM 3500 Limited CC, LB, 4x4, DRW, Max Tow, Cummins HO, AISIN, 4.10, Mopar 30K w/OEM Prep, Transfer Flow 70gal Aux Tank/Toolbox.
5th_Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 08:36 PM   #8

Mike and Dave I know it sounds weird but unfortunately its all true. I have been all over this Redwood looking for the point of entry but have not found it, I have found a lot of other things but where it's getting in.

Old 07-09-2012, 05:25 AM   #9

My grandparent's generation saw pink elephants... my dad's generation saw little green men.. I guess our generation is mutant raccoons ... j/k
Are you sure you just have squirrels or chipmunks walking on the roof in that area? At one state park I had a bird or squirrel that would walk around on my living room slide...very distracting.
TravelinAnderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 02:02 PM   #10
Site Team

I recommend 12 gauge shot gun! I'd use 7 shot because deer slug or 00-buck leaves too big of holes. Make sure you have a digital movie camera on and focused on the attack so it can be documented. You can send the footage to Hollywood and they will make you VERY WEALTHY. Remember "Caddy Shack"? Just think, you can be the new Bill Murry, chasing those little "vermin" back to the wilderness.

I believe Robin Williams had a raccoon problem in the movie "RV" but without explosions it wasn't as good. So learn from Robin William's mistake.....more boom = more money.

Lock and Load!

Old 07-09-2012, 02:48 PM   #11

Bryan,

I saw a Redwood Factory Service Bulletin on this issue but can't seem to locate it. You should call Brian Emmons on this. It might help other current & future FL buyers.
Mike & Pam '12 36RL, Kodiak Discs, 17.5" G114s H-Rated, SRE4000 w/HD Shackles, Joy Rider Shocks, Flex Air, 5.5 Onan, W&D, DW, 4 Scare Lights, (2) 6V Trojan T-145s; Progressive EMS-HW50C, Winegard DTV Sat, Sony/Denon 4K Home Theater, WiFiRanger EliteAC Pack, weBoost 4G-X Cell Booster.

2022 RAM 3500 Limited CC, LB, 4x4, DRW, Max Tow, Cummins HO, AISIN, 4.10, Mopar 30K w/OEM Prep, Transfer Flow 70gal Aux Tank/Toolbox.
5th_Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 03:03 PM   #12

Bryan,
After reading about your situation I went out and inspected the the pin box. Do you have a pin support or do you leave your truck close to the pin area so as to create a path for the little bandit to climb up into that dark hole above the pin?
Old 07-09-2012, 03:15 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tobys Home
Bryan,
After reading about your situation I went out and inspected the the pin box. Do you have a pin support or do you leave your truck close to the pin area so as to create a path for the little bandit to climb up into that dark hole above the pin?

I do use a tri pod but I looked at that and there is not enough room for a raccoon to get up in above the pin box and past the frame to make it up towards the roof line.

Old 07-09-2012, 03:17 PM   #14
Site Team

I had a bird nest in the area above the pin but I didn't see anywhere where they could get up inside the trailer. I knocked the birds out of there with a stick.

Old 07-09-2012, 03:29 PM   #15
Site Team

Bryan,

all joking aside...I can't imagine how a animal could get up in the area between the roof and the ceiling without going up in the area between the back cap or the front cap. The walls are solid bead insulation but the back and front caps have fiberglass bats. If you look at the pictures I took and posted on photo bucket while on the factory tour you can see what I'm taking about.

You had posted before that you had removed or moved aside the under belly of the trailer to put more insulation around the frame. Could you have left an opening in the under belly when you did that? Or is there a way for them to get in the basement area and then under the floor to the back of the coach, where they could get behind the rear cap?

Old 07-09-2012, 05:21 PM   #16

Dave I checked all of that and there is no openings for them to get in, it is all sealed. Then the only way to get from the roof from there would be to climb up the back cap and find some way into the roof line which is sealed off from the cap, so I am baffled.

Old 07-09-2012, 08:35 PM   #17
par

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave&Ginny
Bryan,

all joking aside...I can't imagine how a animal could get up in the area between the roof and the ceiling without going up in the area between the back cap or the front cap. The walls are solid bead insulation but the back and front caps have fiberglass bats. If you look at the pictures I took and posted on photo bucket while on the factory tour you can see what I'm taking about.

You had posted before that you had removed or moved aside the under belly of the trailer to put more insulation around the frame. Could you have left an opening in the under belly when you did that? Or is there a way for them to get in the basement area and then under the floor to the back of the coach, where they could get behind the rear cap?

Hi Dave,
Don't mean to interrupt this topic but I would be interested in seeing those pictures, can you direct me.
Thanks,
PAR
par is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 02:10 AM   #18
Site Team

Par,

go to photo bucket and type in davemolleck and they should come up in an album.