Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-11-2012, 02:27 PM   #1

I like the floor plan on the 36FL, but I wonder about closet space. Especially what looks like a lack of hanging space. We are used to having a washer and dryer, so that area would be taken up. I would like to get owners opinions about how they deal deal with what apears to me to be very little hanging space. Thanks... Dave
dave007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 03:03 PM   #2
par

I am also interested in the FL and would agree with you on the closet space compared to other units. I mentioned that to some dealers and the answer I get is "how much space do you need for a few pair of shorts". While that answer is somewhat of a joke in some respectit is correct. As full-timers we will definitely need more than shorts, our solution is to be judicious about whatyou decide to keep, thereare also a fair amount of drawers that could help. However I am also interested in actual owners responses.
par is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 03:11 PM   #3

The FL was the first RW we looked at and my husband fell in love. However, after spending time in various models imagining living in them (we'll be full timing later this fall), we ordered on an RL. Full wall of dresser and top cabinets in the bedroom, full width closet in the bedroom, separate wide closet for washer & dryer (and some storage above). Only 1 wall of storage in the FL and the lower drawers are very shallow front to back so the bed can push them back when the slide is closed. JMHO
Old 09-11-2012, 03:58 PM   #4

We also found the FL exciting and loved the kitchen, but after thinking of half/full timing we saw that there wasn't enough storage space both inside and out. We jumped on the 36rl band wagon and havn't looked back. Lots of SPACES to put things, infact we will be in ours over five months when they close our section of campground in late October. We have had the kids use the pull out sofa bed and the parents on the floor using full twin air mattresses. Tight but it works. Thanks redwood we are looking forward to seven months next year.
Old 09-11-2012, 04:15 PM   #5

We have a 36FL and have learned to adjust. We converted the small closet next to the pantry to store a small ladder and two folding chairs for the kitchen table. We do not have a washer and dryer so we converted that space into storage and made a kittly litter "station" in the bottom of that closet. We have all the storage in the master bedroom for hanging clothes, and we use the 4 drawers under the be for folding clothes. We also use the storage in the two ottomans and the space behind the living room chairs. We use the space behind the couch to store an inflatible bed, the blankets and linens. So far it has worked well for us. We are not full time but stay in our coach about 6 to 8 months a year. We are retired so our wardrobe is not as varied as some, all casual. Hope this helps

Old 09-11-2012, 08:44 PM   #6

John, now that the rally is over, you have all that "beverage" space back too...
Mike & Pam '12 36RL, Kodiak Discs, 17.5" G114s H-Rated, SRE4000 w/HD Shackles, Joy Rider Shocks, Flex Air, 5.5 Onan, W&D, DW, 4 Scare Lights, (2) 6V Trojan T-145s; Progressive EMS-HW50C, Winegard DTV Sat, Sony/Denon 4K Home Theater, WiFiRanger EliteAC Pack, weBoost 4G-X Cell Booster.

2022 RAM 3500 Limited CC, LB, 4x4, DRW, Max Tow, Cummins HO, AISIN, 4.10, Mopar 30K w/OEM Prep, Transfer Flow 70gal Aux Tank/Toolbox.
5th_Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 10:21 PM   #7

We have the 36FL with the washer/dryer and have been full time for a year. We have all the storage we need for clothing with some room to spare. I even have a suit hanging in the closet for special nights out. Most of our clothing is for temperatures above 70 degrees but we both have clothing for cooler days. I keep my suit, a few pairs of slacks, shirts and shoes in the closet. In the armoire drawers I have jeans, shorts, undies, socks and PJs. The drawer under the bed is for cool weather clothes. Sweaters, sweat-shirts and such. I don't even use the storage over the bed. We also have two plastic containers with some dive gear stored above the washer/dryer.
I think it's a matter of packing what you actually need and not what you think you need. The old vacation adage of "bring half the clothes and twice the money you think you'll need" holds true for full timing as well.
If you like the floor plan of the 36FL but are worried about storage.... don't be.
TravelinAnderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 10:51 PM   #8
par

Quote:
Originally Posted by TravelinAnderson
We have the 36FL with the washer/dryer and have been full time for a year. We have all the storage we need for clothing with some room to spare. I even have a suit hanging in the closet for special nights out. Most of our clothing is for temperatures above 70 degrees but we both have clothing for cooler days. I keep my suit, a few pairs of slacks, shirts and shoes in the closet. In the armoire drawers I have jeans, shorts, undies, socks and PJs. The drawer under the bed is for cool weather clothes. Sweaters, sweat-shirts and such. I don't even use the storage over the bed. We also have two plastic containers with some dive gear stored above the washer/dryer.
I think it's a matter of packing what you actually need and not what you think you need. The old vacation adage of "bring half the clothes and twice the money you think you'll need" holds true for full timing as well.
If you like the floor plan of the 36FL but are worried about storage.... don't be.
I like your rendition, thank you!
par is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 04:09 PM   #9

Not really, we restocked and are enjoying phase 2 of the traveling animal kingdom party redwood coach, currently in PA with relatives, with scheduled stops for drinks and dinner with old Army buddies in Deleware, and VA, then to NC to drop off Mom and Pop and on to Syracuse, IN for repair work at the factory. Hope y'all are having a good time, and travel safe.

John and "Sam"
Old 09-12-2012, 06:11 PM   #10

Another thing to remember is the lifestyle of the full timer. My wife and I are in our 50s and change campgrounds almost every week. We don't have friends to socialize with so we hike, visit historic sites and just hang out with each other. The only time I put my big boy pants on is for Church. Otherwise I'm in shorts.
Our clothing needs aren't the same as someone that stays in the same park for months at a time. They go out with friends and participate in the various social events sponsored by the park or local community. Their clothing needs may require more closet space than they feel the 36FL provides.
TravelinAnderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 06:41 PM   #11

I like to take my guitar along. Is there anywhere in the 36FL to keep a guitar case? I keep it under the bed in my DRV. Is there any room under the bed in the FL?
dave007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 06:45 PM   #12

Put it behind the couch. We lived on a boat for 8 months and the FL has lots of space. Just think of what you need and take half. Love the front living room. We traded in our 3 year old Outback for the FL. No regrets. Love it