Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-02-2017, 02:45 PM   #1

Propane problems

We were returning from a camping trip running the generator to keep the Rv cool for unloading. When home the generator had stopped. I assumed the propane tank was empty and without looking at the regulator I just flipped it to the other tank which I had filled while on this trip. Genny fired up and stopped, regulator showing red (empty). I swapped the empty tank and same thing. Both tanks have propane, both showing red. No gas at the range top either.

So did my regulator quit working? If it is the regulator, where should I get a replacement? I'm not mechanical, but it looks like a fairly easy swap. Comments please?
Old 08-02-2017, 03:14 PM   #2

If you are sure both tanks have gas, close them & wait a bit then open 1 slowly, too fast triggers the check valve in the bottle, then turn the burners on the cooktop to insure there is flow, then slowly open bottle 2.
As far as a new change over regulator they can be had on line or your local propane dealer or local rv parts store, Marshall seems to be the regulators of choice. If you change it you may as well change the little 30# regulator on the curdside also, they are usually short lived as well.
Traded '13 GMC Denali DRW D/A
Currently rv & truckless
Replacement undetermined
travelin' texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 06:03 PM   #3

Thanks Danny, I tried the slow valve opening. Both tanks continue to show empty and could not light burners or oven, however I did try the genny and it started up. This while the regulator showed empty. I ran the genny for about 20 minutes, then switched tanks and it stopped. switched back and no go, could not start. Tried the range top repeatedly while the genny was running but wouldn't lite. This still sound like a bad regulator? This is my 1st Rv and my knowledge is limited.
Old 08-03-2017, 07:45 PM   #4

Here is what I would try even though others may have a problem with this. I have had several times where the internal safety vale in the propane tank is restricting the flow.

Close the valve on the tank. Remove the hoses. Open the valves on the tank (the safety valve will not let it leak). Re-connect the hoses with the valves open.

You WILL get a little spurt of propane that escapes when you re-connect the hoses so it is best to be fairly quick turning the connector and be smart about what is around you.

This has worked for me more times than not. BTW I always use this procedure after I refill. YMMV

Do not do this if you are uncomfortable with it (legal disclaimer)...
Old 08-03-2017, 09:22 PM   #5

there have been times when I have had to slam the tank on a solid surface to reset the internal safety. If opened too fast, it trips the safety thing
Old 08-03-2017, 09:28 PM   #6

Sounds like the regulator/regulators are the problem, it's not a lot of $$ to just replace them both with a better quality (such as Marshalls) than RW furnished.
Traded '13 GMC Denali DRW D/A
Currently rv & truckless
Replacement undetermined
travelin' texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 10:07 PM   #7

And if going the Replacement route, why not replace both Pig Tails that connect the Tanks to the RW's line. Those Pig Tails have been known problems that stop the flow of propane.
2018 Chevy 3500HD Crew Cab High Country DRW, D/A, 2016 RW39MB, Dual ACs, Auto Level, Auto Sat Dish, Stack W/D, King Sleep #, 17.5" Sailuns w/Disc, MORryde IS & Pin, Comfort Ride Hitch, 5.5 Onan, Res Fridge & Induction Cook Top
mhs4771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 10:09 PM   #8

That's where my problems were, the pigtail hoses material was stiff and cracked, and leaking. I just replaced them both.

Jim & Mary 2013 36 RL with Titan Disc Brakes Residential Fridge Goodyear 17.5 H rated tires MORryde IS, MORryde pin box 2015 Ford F350 King Ranch DRW
Jim & Mary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 02:02 PM   #9
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve & Linda View Post
We were returning from a camping trip running the generator to keep the Rv cool for unloading. When home the generator had stopped. I assumed the propane tank was empty and without looking at the regulator I just flipped it to the other tank which I had filled while on this trip. Genny fired up and stopped, regulator showing red (empty). I swapped the empty tank and same thing. Both tanks have propane, both showing red. No gas at the range top either.

So did my regulator quit working? If it is the regulator, where should I get a replacement? I'm not mechanical, but it looks like a fairly easy swap. Comments please?
Starting during the 2cd year of Redwood ownership, over a period of the next 2 years, I had to replace both pigtails, the red regulator on the right side and the main changeover regulator on the left side. I replaced the 15 inch pigtails with 20 inch pigtails (I only have 30 lb tanks) because the 15 inch were too short and causing too much of a bind on the pigtail. The Cavagna regulators have held up well with no problems at least over the last 2 to 3 years

The following links are to products that I purchased on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Hope this helps.

hoosierguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2017, 01:52 PM   #10

Thank you everyone for the input. The slow opening and hooking up tank with valve opened didn't work so new parts are on order.