Old 12-15-2016, 02:57 AM   #1

Send a message via Yahoo to RollsRoyce
Propane problem

Came home today after dark and the DW said she couldn't light the stove or oven. Asked me to change the tanks over even though we just filled both cylinders just a few days ago. I noticed the changeover switch was in the red so I changed to the other tank. Valve didn't change from to red to green no matter what I did. Too cold and too dark to do anymore tonight . Closed both tanks and will resume problem search tomorrow. Can all this be attributed to the change over valve failing? PLEEEAZE help.
RW36FB
RollsRoyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2016, 04:54 AM   #2

what is the temperature where you are??
I just came down from Montreal to Florida The temp was 30 to 35 F on average and when i would start the furnace first then the genni, The gen set would stall as if it was being starved of propane. Also I noticed the tanks were getting frost on the outside. So I called me dealer and he explained that the gas being so cold it could not convert from liquid to gas and this was causing the starving / freezing. He actually suggested the following 1- change tanks often 2-wrap the tanks with a battery blanket (these are usually in a plastic cover /waterproof) or an old electric blanket. This will help the gas and valves from freezing.
2015 38 GK
Cheryl & Wayne
ted 95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2016, 05:07 AM   #3
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by ted 95 View Post
what is the temperature where you are??
I just came down from Montreal to Florida The temp was 30 to 35 F on average and when i would start the furnace first then the genni, The gen set would stall as if it was being starved of propane. Also I noticed the tanks were getting frost on the outside. So I called me dealer and he explained that the gas being so cold it could not convert from liquid to gas and this was causing the starving / freezing. He actually suggested the following 1- change tanks often 2-wrap the tanks with a battery blanket (these are usually in a plastic cover /waterproof) or an old electric blanket. This will help the gas and valves from freezing.

You're right but it usually has to get below zero for this to be a problem. For this reason I carry a electric heating pad that I can put on a tank with a strap if I have to.

As to Royce's problem, I doubt that it's that cold where he is. I would suggest opening up the gas burner to get the air out of the lines. Sometimes when taking both tanks off at the same time, this can cause a problem with air in the lines.
Old 12-15-2016, 11:10 AM   #4

Another option is to pull the tanks out of the holders and bang them straight down on the ground. The safety valve could be stuck.
Old 12-15-2016, 12:33 PM   #5
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by homeguy View Post
Another option is to pull the tanks out of the holders and bang them straight down on the ground. The safety valve could be stuck.
That's a good point! Along with that idea, try opening the valves slowly
Old 12-15-2016, 12:55 PM   #6
Site Team

I also think a safety valve in the tank may have stuck. I had a tank go empty, I thought, but when I had it refilled it was only about half empty. It is a pain but think shaking the tank will help in most cases.
Old 12-15-2016, 04:57 PM   #7
Site Team

I have found it harder to get the tanks completely empty in the winter, i guess because of the temp and the gas.
Old 12-15-2016, 06:33 PM   #8
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by RollsRoyce View Post
Came home today after dark and the DW said she couldn't light the stove or oven. Asked me to change the tanks over even though we just filled both cylinders just a few days ago. I noticed the changeover switch was in the red so I changed to the other tank. Valve didn't change from to red to green no matter what I did. Too cold and too dark to do anymore tonight . Closed both tanks and will resume problem search tomorrow. Can all this be attributed to the change over valve failing? PLEEEAZE help.
Royce......I don't think your dealer knows what he is talking about........propane goes to the gaseous state at -44 degrees and above.

I suspect that you need to purge the air from your propane lines or that you may have opened the tank valves too quickly. If you open the valves too quickly, the tank internal safety valve may shut off the tank. If that happens, you will have to remove the tank from the compartment and give it a very sharp downward drop onto the concrete to reset the safety valve. Then re-install the tank and open the main valve slowly. Once that is done, turn on burners on the stove/range and ignite one burner at a time. With all three burners on, I next set the water heater to propane and let it ignite and burn for a minute, then finally turn on the furnace and let it run for a couple of minutes. I generally watch the stove/range burners to make sure they continue to burn okay while the other appliance are turned on. If so, you know all of the air is purged from the propane lines and that the tank valves are okay.

Hope this helps.

hoosierguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2016, 07:03 PM   #9

On the other hand, I recently had the same problem, changeover valve showing red with both tanks full or nearly so, I tested the tanks by hooking up connector and regulator from my portable burner. When they worked fine, I replaced the changeover assembly that Atom Ant described in an earlier post. Problem solved.

Jim & Mary 2013 36 RL with Titan Disc Brakes Residential Fridge Goodyear 17.5 H rated tires MORryde IS, MORryde pin box 2015 Ford F350 King Ranch DRW
Jim & Mary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2016, 09:21 PM   #10

I totally agree with Guy. I would suggest though to bump in the dirt rather concrete cause if you dent it or damage it in any way they won't fill it.
travelin' texans is offline   Reply With Quote