Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-31-2018, 04:08 PM   #21
Site Team

I think Redwood build quality goes up and down just like almost all of the other manufacturers. They're selling almost everything they can build and in my opinion the biggest culprit is the piece rate system. This was something that caused a huge problem in the boat industry 20 years ago and was done away with to a pay incentive based on quality and lack of defects. There are a few RV builders that pay their people this way now but not many and all are smaller and upper end. Luxe does, and DRV might, I'm not sure of DRV. New Horizons and Spacecraft do.

The reality is that those of us who tow actively and cover many miles are very much in the minority, even if fulltime. When I was telling another RVer yesterday everywhere we had been since last fall, he lok d at me like I was from another planet. His big trip is once or twice a year and is maybe 2-300 miles. Since we left NY last November, we've covered a bit over 9000 miles towing through 18 states.

Where I'm headed with this - we bought a Redwood b cause we liked almost everything about it. Were there some build issues we didn't like, yes. Were they fixable or changeable to what we wanted, yes. I liked a DRV. Didn't like the $$$. Could I add most of what I wanted to the Redwood that the DRV had, yes.
Over the last five plus years, we've made the Redwood into the home we want. Any system that I wasn't totally happy with, I've modified. And at this point, I still don't have the $$$ invested that I would've spent on the DRV that we looked at but I feel I have a very dependable, excellent towing and handling, comfortable coach. And even with going to the big shows like Tampa and sticking my nose everywhere, the only thing I've seen that tweaked our interest was a New Horizons. Not having a spare $300 k for a new truck and their coach, we decided that the Redwood looked even better. Lol

I do need to get her waxed at this time but I still get asked if she's new. My coach will be 6 years old in about 4 months.
Old 06-01-2018, 05:45 AM   #22

Yes after growing up with and owning RV's for over 50 years there will always be maintenance and repairs. The reason we bought our RW used was after purchasing a new special order SOB Three days after delivery the slide out flooded after a severe storm. The same thing can happen and does happen to every RV made today. So with that in mind I have taken about every preventative idea mentioned on forums like this. Knowing how crap breaks in a 9.0 earth quake everytime you go down the hwy should be a warning to those expecting perfection. You will be sorely disappointed if your expectations are set to high. Our 38 GK is love at first sight. When my wife and I walked into this unit for the 1st time we both made comments to each other that this was it. Still have things I want to get done before we take off fulltime next year that will fall into long term upgrades. Over all we are very much in love with our RW.

HDT 1999 Volvo VNL610 12.7 Detroit 10 Spd Eaton Manual trans. 430 HP, 1500 pounds of torque,
"The Beast" (retired) 2003 Dodge 3500
2014 RW 38GK14, solar panels with MPPT controller, Progressive surge guard, 2 group 31 AGM batteries, Morryde SLR4000, Titan disc brakes,
Tom's38GK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2018, 05:36 PM   #23
Site Team

I agree with about all that PiperGuy says. The piece rate plan is a killer to RV quality industry wide. RV builders have a tough time changing it when there is a manpower shortage in the area.

We are still very happy with our 2013 RW although we don't full time in it. Yes we have fixed some things and I did put disc brakes on it but for the $$$ we are happy campers.
Old 06-02-2018, 02:49 AM   #24

I have had my problems in the past and RW fixed them all and when Keystone took over they took my rig to their factory and fix the problems all for one ( water dripping inside the rear window) Well I found the problem spot today when I took the A/c covers off to tighten up the mounting bolts. to my surprise there were no mounting bolts installed at the factory so my A/c's have been floating around on the roof when I go down the rood. I sent pics to Keystone by way of rv dealer . Keystone said they will fix the problem but only time will tell. my rig is out of warranty. It might be a go idea to check out your A/c before you lose them on the road.
1998 International 4700LP 4 door ,DT530,300hp 6sp.with a 4:10 ,air ride https://www.redwoodowners.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic1866_1.gif[/IMG]
ET156 is offline   Reply With Quote