Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-28-2014, 07:44 PM   #1
Traveling

Preparing For An Approaching Storm

Recently I got a phone call from my son and he was concerned about a warning that just came out about an approaching high wind and hail storm and asked me to go to his house and park his truck in the barn. High winds aren't to worrisome in the RW besides pulling in awnings and such. But what about hail? I found myself wringing my hands not knowing what to expect, and didn't want hail damage on the roof or sides. What about SNOW? As winter approaches (our first as full timers) we will be having to face some harsh weather.

Can anyone share tips, experiences and what not? Would love to get some good ideas on the various foul-weather solutions. We are not able to travel away from weather yet (still about 3 years out!) but even when you can, you do occasionally get caught up in it. Thanks in advance!
TNTBaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 10:05 PM   #2

We were in Aubrey, Tx this spring & got hail between nickel to quarter size for about 30-45 minutes that covered the ground, pulled slides in & watch the radar from the bedroom, no damage for us, but several near by were out covering roof vents afterward. Also in Amarillo, Tx in May with 40+ mph sustained winds & gust to 70+, dust so bad you could not see across the street, also put slides in because of the slide toppers flapping & afraid of ripping them off, no damage, but on both occasions the pucker factor was 10+.
Traded '13 GMC Denali DRW D/A
Currently rv & truckless
Replacement undetermined
travelin' texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 10:11 PM   #3
Traveling

Thanks TT; That helps. I just don't want to wait till we are in the middle of it to start trying to figure out what to do. I agree that pulling in the slides is probably the best idea when things get severe. The heaviness of the coach will protect it from high wind unless we are in a hurricane... and that means we will be rolling down the freeway AWAY from it! One benefit of having a home on wheels. Hail storms and snow storms seem like they just blow in suddenly sometimes and you can't really get away from them as easily (Plus, Todd is still working so that is a problem too!)
Old 08-28-2014, 10:18 PM   #4

Fortunately we were in Aubrey & not 20 miles west in Denton as they got baseball to grapefruit size hail, had to close Walmart & Sams Club cause in knocked all of the skylights out in both & destroyed most of cars in the parking lots.
Traded '13 GMC Denali DRW D/A
Currently rv & truckless
Replacement undetermined
travelin' texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 10:52 PM   #5
Traveling

Yikes, I would have died of a heart attack. I think hail scares me the most because it causes so much damage and its impossible to protect yourself from it. Snow is do-able-you can shovel it off, but hail... [[[shudder]]]
Old 08-29-2014, 12:24 AM   #6
Site Team

We were in tennis ball sized hail with our Redwood and truck this spring. The bad thing was the hail lasted 25 minuites. It was scary and sounded like it was tearing the roof off the coach. We did pull the slides in. Had one broken vent cover and several of the recessed light lens came off with one breaking. Surprisingly, the roof was not damaged. The truck has damage to the hood and roof. I have a new hood but have not had the time to paint it. Considering the size of the hail and length of the hail storm we consider ourselves lucky.
Old 08-29-2014, 04:55 AM   #7

We were in horizontal rain/wind near Souix Falls SD this spring, and we had quarter size hail in Rapid City SD. The hail took out one vent cover, which I've replaced with a better cover that will withstand hail. I agree that hail is the worst of my worries when traveling through the mid West during spring. We just had the weather sirens go off last Sunday night where we are staying for the summer in Chisago City, MN. Tornado watch and severe thunderstorms. We headed into my sisters cellar for a period of time while the severe weather pasted. Luckily no damage.
Old 08-29-2014, 05:40 AM   #8

Hail is awful this year.

As stated, if you can pull in the slides, I think you are better off. I've been through many already in the Redwood and it makes your posterior end pucker! No damage so far. It seems these survive a little better than the truck might (truck may show damage and trailer none).

I had severe damage to an aluminum sided trailer once from hail - the adjuster said it needs a new cover for the range! I said "huh", and he laughed - told me once the vents broke and screens, a giant hail ball came in and put a 3" dent in the stove top!
atom ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 10:43 AM   #9

Be heavily insured and be safe, there is nothing that can't be repaired or replace outside human life.
Old 08-29-2014, 02:16 PM   #10

Our 36RL has a skylight over the shower. Did you experience damage to the skylight? It seems that large hail stones would crash right through that thin plastic. We have covers on all the vents but don't know of a way to protect the skylight.
Old 08-30-2014, 12:44 AM   #11
Site Team

Had no damage to skylight cover. The cover that broke was the Fantastic Fan cover.
Old 08-30-2014, 05:24 AM   #12

My skylight survived fine. The fantastic fan cover broke in to pieces.
Old 08-31-2014, 05:09 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNTBaker View Post
Yikes, I would have died of a heart attack. I think hail scares me the most because it causes so much damage and its impossible to protect yourself from it. Snow is do-able-you can shovel it off, but hail... [[[shudder]]]
We spent last winter in Montana - cold and lots of snow. Let me know if you have specific questions. Things of note -

Shoveling roof esp. when there is a chance of additional snow OR rain. Wet snow is extremely heavy

Supporting slide toppers (if you have them). Used a setup of insulation board and 2 x 2s.

Putting tin foil over refrigerator's outside vent to prevent freezing.

Freeze tape on water line

Area at bottom of main steps will get muddy. Was so bad that I'd pour a concrete slab if we were staying again this winter.

Be prepared for expensive heating - propane not cheap as a heating fuel.

......probably some other points that I've repressed lol.
2011 Ram 3500 Laramie Longhorn 6.7L TD, SRW, 4X4.

Oregonbound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 06:46 PM   #14

When they call these units all season or full time, I don't think that they thought about the weather we are now experiencing. Most people in there right mind head for warmer climates. We had a DRV here last winter and they split after the third snow storm in CT. I was surprised that they lasted so long. Those 80# tanks outside there rig seem to be changed out every week, plus or tech replaced there furnace because it did the bed thing. Another bud next door in a 45' Monaco left their slides in most of the winter. We had our 36rl winterized and stayed HOME. Run for your lives because this winter promises to be a beauty. Point of all this is that you have to pick your battles and the colder climes are NOT THEM!
P.S. We are here for storsge another winter in a full time RV resort and the home is looking good right now.
Old 08-31-2014, 08:28 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tobys Home View Post
When they call these units all season or full time, I don't think that they thought about the weather we are now experiencing. Most people in there right mind head for warmer climates. We had a DRV here last winter and they split after the third snow storm in CT. I was surprised that they lasted so long. Those 80# tanks outside there rig seem to be changed out every week, plus or tech replaced there furnace because it did the bed thing. Another bud next door in a 45' Monaco left their slides in most of the winter. We had our 36rl winterized and stayed HOME. Run for your lives because this winter promises to be a beauty. Point of all this is that you have to pick your battles and the colder climes are NOT THEM!
P.S. We are here for storsge another winter in a full time RV resort and the home is looking good right now.
X2. Our 36FL is not a "4 season" RV unless you consider Northern California, Southern Utah, etc. as "4 seasons". Was very expensive heating it (prob. $3-400.00/month) and will not do that again. Also, in summer, the ACs are running constantly. If we were to stay another winter, we'd put the RV in storage, rent an apartment and probably still come out ahead financially compared to full-timing it.

Feel for those who do not have the option of "snow birding". It's doable, but be prepared.

Old 08-31-2014, 09:41 PM   #16
Site Team

Jay and Linda, Ian and Cara,

Thank you. I have always thought that anyone that thinks any RV is a "four season" home either has money to burn or isn't thinking quite straight!!! The "four season" stuff is just RV marketing hype. Yes you can do it, but, it isn't really very practical. JMHO.

And we love our RW 36RL.

Guy

hoosierguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 11:17 PM   #17
Traveling

Well this is all very depressing...
Old 08-31-2014, 11:30 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNTBaker View Post
Well this is all very depressing...
May not be as depressing as I made it sound. After all, when I talk about snow and cold, I was talking about having approx. 2 feet of snow from early Dec. till March (I mean 2 feet on the ground, all that time) and we had 3 cold snaps (over a week long) of -0 degree temps and many, many nights of >10 degrees (the average winter temp here is 17 degrees).

As we are planning on moving to the west coast of Washington/NW Oregon in the next 4 weeks, we REALLY hope that you don't get that kind of weather where you're at.

Knowing what I know of your part of the country, I may have to come up with a plan for RV floatation though

Old 09-01-2014, 12:19 AM   #19

I go north in the Summer and stay down South in the winter. I don't like our upper 90 degree weather in Baton Rouge and I don't like snow either. You can move if you don't like the weather or neighbors. San Diego has the best year round weather.
Old 09-01-2014, 12:25 AM   #20

Depends on what you mean by "coast" We live 70 miles inland from the Oregon coast and it snows maybe 2-3 times a winter, only lasting a day or two. The coast (Seaside, Astoria, Lincoln City, Newport) a little less snow and a little warmer temperatures. Portland metro area can get 20-25 degrees twice a winter, but only for a few days. Mostly gray skies and watering can rain for days on end.

Jim & Mary 2013 36 RL with Titan Disc Brakes Residential Fridge Goodyear 17.5 H rated tires MORryde IS, MORryde pin box 2015 Ford F350 King Ranch DRW
Jim & Mary is offline   Reply With Quote