Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-29-2015, 07:32 PM   #1

Power problems

I just hooked up to 50 amp service after being on an extension cord for a month. Everything worked fine before, just low power. After I threw the switch, everything came on except the refrigerator (running on batteries), the island plugs and the GFI circuit (outside plugs and bathroom plugs)

I checked all the breakers and fuses

There is either a breaker somewhere I dont know about or one of the 50 amp legs isn't working

Can anyone tell me how to check the outlet? Is is a new circuit. PGE just energized it and I need to check if the powered it right before calling them

Help!!!
ichabod123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 07:48 PM   #2

I have a GFI in the bathroom, resets the outside plug, island and bathroom outlets. Fridge might not be on Auto or it may be on the same GFI. Bad leg on the circuit shouldn't cause a semi-working condition.
USN Retired

Radio_Flyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 07:50 PM   #3
Site Team

Do you have a Progressive Industries Surge Gard ? That would tell you if they wired the outlet right. If I remember correctly, the wiring for a 50a RV connection is different than a 50a House plug like a dryer.
I also think the fridge and the island are on the same power leg. I know there is a GFCI reset in the bathroom, can't remember if the island also has one.
Old 04-29-2015, 08:26 PM   #4

Question

I thought the 50 plugs were wired the same for house and RV.

I know the 30 amp plugs ARE differenet from house and RV.

Hmmmm....

Bill n Diana

His TV: 2014 RAM 3500 MC DRW 6.7 CTD AISIN
His RV: 2014 REDWOOD 38FL (House)
Her TV: 2013 RAM 1500 CC 5.7 Hemi
Her RV: 2010 VCross 20VFB (Camper)
Bill n Diana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 01:32 AM   #5
Site Team

Here is a link of how 50 amp service to an RV is made. link
Old 04-30-2015, 03:23 AM   #6

Send a message via AIM to Shane Wood Send a message via MSN to Shane Wood Send a message via Yahoo to Shane Wood
Quote:
Originally Posted by ichabod123 View Post
I just hooked up to 50 amp service after being on an extension cord for a month. Everything worked fine before, just low power. After I threw the switch, everything came on except the refrigerator (running on batteries), the island plugs and the GFI circuit (outside plugs and bathroom plugs)

I checked all the breakers and fuses

There is either a breaker somewhere I dont know about or one of the 50 amp legs isn't working

Can anyone tell me how to check the outlet? Is is a new circuit. PGE just energized it and I need to check if the powered it right before calling them

Help!!!
do you have a residential fridge or the gas electric. If no residential it maybe that the gf I is tripped. Push the reset button and see if these things come on. You can check the 50 a plug at the pedestal with a voltmeter. You should get 240 volts between the 2 hot legs and 120 volts between each hot leg and the neutral or ground.
Old 04-30-2015, 01:19 PM   #7

A couple of comments and a long shot possibility.

Go back to your extension cord. If everything is working then it's a problem with your new hookup. If you still have stuff not working then it's an issue with the RV.

Here is the long shot. We had a similar failure and the GFI in the bathroom wouldn't reset. I found the problem, there was a small leak from the black tank flusher back flow preventer that's located under the bathroom sink, the water went down the water pipes and into the electrical plug located in the basement at the curbside. I dried out the plug and the GFI reset. That GFI also sends power to the central vac, is that also off on your unit?

One of my projects is to remove/relocate that preventer, I think it's also giving me some smelly odours in that area.
Old 04-30-2015, 04:59 PM   #8

After checking the power at the pedestal, I would re-check the breakers, including the main. Even if they look like they are fine, turn them off and then back on. Also, pull the appropriate breaker and heck to make sure the wire is tight on the back.
Old 05-03-2015, 07:36 PM   #9

In my opinion, anyone who travels without a Progressive Industries EMS or equivalent, if there is one, is looking for trouble. The second campsite we stayed at had a miswired pedestal. It may have saved me what I paid for it in repairs.
Elliott & Vicky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 10:17 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by homeguy View Post
After checking the power at the pedestal, I would re-check the breakers, including the main. Even if they look like they are fine, turn them off and then back on. Also, pull the appropriate breaker and heck to make sure the wire is tight on the back.
A good suggestion!

We hit a state park on our way back from the south, it had one of those 50 amp breakers that only have one "switch" (not a ganged 50 amp breaker). One side was dead, the surge guard would not start up. I reset the breaker a couple of times and everything was good.
Old 05-04-2015, 12:59 AM   #11

Had this happen once to me.

Turned out that this one time, I didn't turn the 50 cord to the lock (few degrees to the right after inserting it). I have the round connectors on my RL. Embarrassing I called the super and then found the issue while he was standing next to me.

Once you plug in, remember you have to turn the cord to that lock position or you only get one leg. I'm sure everyone knows & checks this.
Mike & Pam '12 36RL, Kodiak Discs, 17.5" G114s H-Rated, SRE4000 w/HD Shackles, Joy Rider Shocks, Flex Air, 5.5 Onan, W&D, DW, 4 Scare Lights, (2) 6V Trojan T-145s; Progressive EMS-HW50C, Winegard DTV Sat, Sony/Denon 4K Home Theater, WiFiRanger EliteAC Pack, weBoost 4G-X Cell Booster.

2022 RAM 3500 Limited CC, LB, 4x4, DRW, Max Tow, Cummins HO, AISIN, 4.10, Mopar 30K w/OEM Prep, Transfer Flow 70gal Aux Tank/Toolbox.
5th_Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 03:53 AM   #12

Oddly had the same power issue yesterday, we moved locations everything working plugged in at next location & half the trailer no power. Start at pedestal with meter & finally found that somehow one of the wires came loose in cord, had to replace cord end & all is well. May want to ohm your cord, I certainly wouldn't of guess that would've been the problem.
Traded '13 GMC Denali DRW D/A
Currently rv & truckless
Replacement undetermined
travelin' texans is offline   Reply With Quote