Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-01-2013, 04:06 PM   #21

I have 2x2 wood blocks and the plastic blocks and still have popping. Talked to Leppert today and they added my name and Vin number to a list they have created just for this problem. They know this happening but not why. I feel it's weather related. Mine haven't popped in 2 or 3 days and all of a sudden they are popping again and the temp is going from hot to cold in a short period of time. I have releveled my jacks and everything seems normal. It hasn't hurt anything yet, it just annoys me late at night.
Old 04-01-2013, 06:17 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by fathog99

I have 2x2 wood blocks and the plastic blocks and still have popping. Talked to Leppert today and they added my name and Vin number to a list they have created just for this problem. They know this happening but not why. I feel it's weather related. Mine haven't popped in 2 or 3 days and all of a sudden they are popping again and the temp is going from hot to cold in a short period of time. I have releveled my jacks and everything seems normal. It hasn't hurt anything yet, it just annoys me late at night.

Anyonespecial as the POC?

Thanks.
2013 36 RL
subdoc4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 06:22 PM   #23

No I spoke to the operator.
Old 04-01-2013, 06:54 PM   #24

Ha Ha. I have to laugh that this has been going on for years and try as they might, Lippert "just can't figure out" what the problem is... Even though they are a multimillion dollar corporation with dozens of engineers, they just can't figure out this Issue. It's just too difficult for the design & manufacturer to uncover what's wrong. There has been nothing but head scratching and "Lip" service for anyone who inquired about this.

Could it be that the expense of replacing Level-Up on thousands of units now might affect their annual earnings? Ya think?
Mike & Pam '12 36RL, Kodiak Discs, 17.5" G114s H-Rated, SRE4000 w/HD Shackles, Joy Rider Shocks, Flex Air, 5.5 Onan, W&D, DW, 4 Scare Lights, (2) 6V Trojan T-145s; Progressive EMS-HW50C, Winegard DTV Sat, Sony/Denon 4K Home Theater, WiFiRanger EliteAC Pack, weBoost 4G-X Cell Booster.

2022 RAM 3500 Limited CC, LB, 4x4, DRW, Max Tow, Cummins HO, AISIN, 4.10, Mopar 30K w/OEM Prep, Transfer Flow 70gal Aux Tank/Toolbox.
5th_Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 08:04 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5th_Time
Ha Ha. I have to laugh that this has been going on for years and try as they might, Lippert "just can't figure out" what the problem is... Even though they are a multimillion dollar corporation with dozens of engineers, they just can't figure out this Issue. It's just too difficult for the design & manufacturer to uncover what's wrong. There has been nothing but head scratching and "Lip" service for anyone who inquired about this.

Could it be that the expense of replacing Level-Up on thousands of units now might affect their annual earnings? Ya think?
Lippert knows exactly what the problems is. It's their engineering design. aluminum pistons and steel cylinders. This is what I was told, when I called a few months back. Do you think they are going to replace every system out there. Other systems out there, that use all steel, have no popping or going out of level, unless they are on soft ground.

Lillyputz
Old 04-01-2013, 09:08 PM   #26
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5th_Time

The problem is economics.....If Lippert had competition the problem would have been fixed long ago. However with the political situation right now...nobody is going to invest their hard earned money for the uncertain tax future of a company.

Lippert claims the jacks make noise and don't drop but that simply isn't true. Mine does drop slightly but enough to shake the trailer.
Old 04-01-2013, 10:53 PM   #27

We have a 2012 36FB. It will be 2 years next month. We have had the popping from day 1. I can say from experience that it isn't the surface the jacks are sitting on. All last summer, our 2 front jacks set on 2x12's, 12 inches long, 3 stacked under each jack. The 4 rear jacks set on big yellow motorhome pads. I really don't know why Redwood continues to use these jacks with the problem everyone is having with them. I talked to Redwood last week. I was asking about the 2013 and if they were popping. He said yes they were. We have a case number with Lippert on this problem. It is kind of embarrassing when you have a big nice good-looking rig and people ask "what's that popping noise". Everyone with this problem needs to call Redwood and Lippert for a problem solution! This is not something we should have to live with!
d-man31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 11:19 PM   #28

I agree. I'm sitting here trying to watch TV and my dogs are barking because the jacks are popping. As I said it doesn't seem to be causing any harm, but I'm tired of hearing it. Maybe we all need to call and demand they get a handle on this problem or we may not recommend RW's until it's fixed. This is the best rig I have owned but I didn't pay a lotmoney to listen to this.
Old 04-02-2013, 10:20 AM   #29

Not to belittle the situtation because I'm not looking forward toinheriting the problem in a couple of weeks, but because Lip makes the same sytem for Keystone, Forest River, Dutchman, and all those in between, certainly this is a much larger problem than Redwood isn't it? How could Lip be holding strong on this while giving Lip service to all of them? Keystone owners are especially hard to get along with
atom ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 11:03 AM   #30

I have a Camping World by me so it was convienent, they came in a draw string bag for easy storage and will hold 25,000 Lbs. Also sold online.
Old 04-02-2013, 11:15 AM   #31

Atom Ant if you have bought a Redwood you will be inheriting more problems than just the popping. You might not care so much if you are a "camper" but if you are fulltiming......... I have extreme popping problems and have been in contact with Lippert for almost a year. If you visit other RV forums you will se that this problem has been going on at least for a couple of years. Lippert has no answer for the popping but the say they are working on it. They know that it is caused by temp changes effecting the alum rods verses the steel housing. At least that is what Carl hase told me and he is working on a solution. Some people have put various types of blocks to shorten the stroke and it has helped. Mine popps as the temps change to the highest or lowest temps of the day. Popps,shakes but never goes out of level. I am on 4" blocks that sit on gravel. Now popping in middle of the night due to low temps being reached around 0300. I might not notice if I drank Jack untill I passed out in a stuper. But thats not me. Also have had three jacks replaced due to leaks but there are many who have done the same.Leaking jacks is anotherLippert problem.A good forum to check out is the Heartland forum ref the jacks. Much more information on the popping from the posters and you can see how long ago the posts were done. I believe it would cost Lippert a bundle to recall all the rigs with this problem so me thinks one will have to live with it or find one's own fix if possible.
DonMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 11:44 AM   #32

I posted this once before, but time to do it again. We had the Level-up system retrofitted to our Montana by TrailAir at the TrailAir Factory in Goshen (this was prior to TrailAir selling out/being bought out by Lippert). We used the Montana alot on all types of surfaces without anything under the jack pads and never experienced the popping. Now we did have a leaking jack that was replaced under warranty and the replacement leaked worse than the original, so it to got replaced then no leaks. Last April we traded in our trusty Monty for our RW. We do experience the jack popping off and on. We hadn't been having the problem till just recently I pulled the back jacks up part way and did a re-level, now they're popping on a regular schedule, in the AM when the Sun starts hitting them, then in the PM after the Sun goes down and the temps start to drop. Guess I need to bring them all up and cycle a couple of times, but we'll be moving in a couple of weeks, so we put up with it for the time being. We love our RW and have had minimal problems (did have the washer drain issue), but to date we haven't been to any service center anywhere. Do have an appointment to get one jack replaced and have our yearly inspection done. Well be done at Copley's RV in Hobe Sound, just South of where we in Fort Pierce, FL.
2018 Chevy 3500HD Crew Cab High Country DRW, D/A, 2016 RW39MB, Dual ACs, Auto Level, Auto Sat Dish, Stack W/D, King Sleep #, 17.5" Sailuns w/Disc, MORryde IS & Pin, Comfort Ride Hitch, 5.5 Onan, Res Fridge & Induction Cook Top
mhs4771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 11:51 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonMac
Atom Ant if you have bought a Redwood you will be inheriting more problems than just the popping. You might not care so much if you are a "camper" but if you are fulltiming......... I have extreme popping problems and have been in contact with Lippert for almost a year. If you visit other RV forums you will se that this problem has been going on at least for a couple of years. Lippert has no answer for the popping but the say they are working on it. They know that it is caused by temp changes effecting the alum rods verses the steel housing. At least that is what Carl hase told me and he is working on a solution. Some people have put various types of blocks to shorten the stroke and it has helped. Mine popps as the temps change to the highest or lowest temps of the day. Popps,shakes but never goes out of level. I am on 4" blocks that sit on gravel. Now popping in middle of the night due to low temps being reached around 0300. I might not notice if I drank Jack untill I passed out in a stuper. But thats not me. Also have had three jacks replaced due to leaks but there are many who have done the same.Leaking jacks is anotherLippert problem.A good forum to check out is the Heartland forum ref the jacks. Much more information on the popping from the posters and you can see how long ago the posts were done. I believe it would cost Lippert a bundle to recall all the rigs with this problem so me thinks one will have to live with it or find one's own fix if possible.
So you just confirm what I said, this is not isolated to Redwood. In other words, there was nowhere else for me to turn to avoid the issue other than BigFoot on a LifeStyle.

atom ant is offline   Reply With Quote