Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-07-2015, 12:57 PM   #1

Please Don't Do As I Did...

All,

As embarrassing as this is for me to write I do so with the hope that it might prevent someone else from the same mishap...

Scenario: DW volunteers at a ACOE lake (Kerr Reservoir, VA) and spends 5 days or so a week on site leaving me to full-time alone during the week closer to where I work. We recently had our washer and dryer installed so as to avoid doing the dirty clothes carry to laundry facilities. Well she showed me how to run the machines and we discussed the qty of water required per load. All was good in my mind...

During the rinse cycle of the second load I hear water splashing in the closet and think OMG... what have I done... I should have asked myself, "What didn't I do???"

I forgot to open the gray water tank valve. Earlier that day DW took a shower and I cleaned up for work and I didn't take that volume into consideration...

Lesson learned: ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS open the gray tank valve when running the washing machine.

I cleaned everything up as quickly as I could and there appears to be no sign of visible damage at this point. No idea on quantity of water that went on the floor but I shut it down immediately and used three bath towels to get control of the leaked water...

Again, please take my experience to heart and always open the drain valve when you run your washer.

Happy Travels,

Bill n Diana

His TV: 2014 RAM 3500 MC DRW 6.7 CTD AISIN
His RV: 2014 REDWOOD 38FL (House)
Her TV: 2013 RAM 1500 CC 5.7 Hemi
Her RV: 2010 VCross 20VFB (Camper)
Bill n Diana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 01:23 PM   #2

Send a message via AIM to Shane Wood Send a message via MSN to Shane Wood Send a message via Yahoo to Shane Wood
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill n Diana View Post
All,

As embarrassing as this is for me to write I do so with the hope that it might prevent someone else from the same mishap...

Scenario: DW volunteers at a ACOE lake (Kerr Reservoir, VA) and spends 5 days or so a week on site leaving me to full-time alone during the week closer to where I work. We recently had our washer and dryer installed so as to avoid doing the dirty clothes carry to laundry facilities. Well she showed me how to run the machines and we discussed the qty of water required per load. All was good in my mind...

During the rinse cycle of the second load I hear water splashing in the closet and think OMG... what have I done... I should have asked myself, "What didn't I do???"

I forgot to open the gray water tank valve. Earlier that day DW took a shower and I cleaned up for work and I didn't take that volume into consideration...

Lesson learned: ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS open the gray tank valve when running the washing machine.

I cleaned everything up as quickly as I could and there appears to be no sign of visible damage at this point. No idea on quantity of water that went on the floor but I shut it down immediately and used three bath towels to get control of the leaked water...

Again, please take my experience to heart and always open the drain valve when you run your washer.

Happy Travels,

Bill n Diana
Bill
When I stay in the trailer for extended periods I always leave the greywater tank valves open. The only time i close them is if i want to have water to flush hose after emptying the black tank. I do this very seldom now the black tank has the sprayer. I have been doing this for years and have never had a problem.
Old 05-07-2015, 02:59 PM   #3
Site Team

Shane, another tip when leaving grey tanks open is to put a raised section in the drain hose. Functions as a "P" trap and prevents sewer gases from coming back into rig. Doesn't have to be a big drop. I usually pull about 2' of hose off the Slunky and let it sit on the ground until I'm ready to dump tanks.
Old 05-07-2015, 04:17 PM   #4

um, yeah. I been there too. Twice!
Old 05-07-2015, 05:28 PM   #5

The only thing worse is to turn on the sewer flusher to put some additional water into the black tank with the valve closed then get interrupted by a neighbour and have a long conversation! (don't ask what the DW said to me after that happened!).
Old 05-08-2015, 02:00 AM   #6
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by almcc View Post
The only thing worse is to turn on the sewer flusher to put some additional water into the black tank with the valve closed then get interrupted by a neighbour and have a long conversation! (don't ask what the DW said to me after that happened!).
Yep, been there done that with a previous SOB.
Old 05-08-2015, 01:10 PM   #7
Site Team

My other half was less than thrilled when the grey tank backed up into the shower......
Let's just say the words uttered were not complimentary about my failure to monitor tank levels.
Old 05-09-2015, 12:44 AM   #8

Piper Guy..... ....Mr. Cooper does know how you feel!
Lady DRV - 2017 DRV Fullhouse JX450 w/Executive Office Options
LadyEcooper is offline   Reply With Quote