Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-19-2017, 09:41 PM   #1

Lightbulb Patio Light

Hi All, We just picket up our 2013 Redwood last fall and noticed that the patio light is very dim. It is actually hard to see enough to unlock the door without using a flashlight. I tried turning on the scare lights and found that they are very dim as well. This is the first RV I have owned where I have had this issue. Although the paint on my rig and the awnings are black which may not be reflecting the light as I am accustomed to. Does anybody have any suggestions? Maybe change the bulbs? Change to a clear lens on the patio light? Or install additional lighting. Any help would be appreciated.
2013 Redwood RE
Det4nier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 02:35 AM   #2

Congratulations.

Are the lights bright when you are connected to shore power?

My RW is parked in my backyard, connected to 120. I use the porch light to let me know when I have lost power to the RW because after a couple days without power, the porch light becomes very dim. Once I fix the power to the RW, the light is immediately bright.

With all that said, it is likely your batteries. No charge or can't charge. If that is not the answer, I would measure the voltage at the light.
bergeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 03:01 AM   #3

Thanks for the thought. But, the batteries are fine. The lights stay the same either way, battery or shore power. I don't know if the previous owner may have replaced the bulbs with something that is not so bright or if it was a common issue among owners. It is is the shop going through some check list repairs right now, I will have to check the bulbs when I get it back.
2013 Redwood RE
Det4nier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 03:58 PM   #4

If you are saying they are dimmer than they should be given the type, possibly a loose ground on the ground bar behind the panel.
atom ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 05:17 PM   #5

Dirty lens??
If the lens cover has been removed (most probably the sealant around the cover is gone), could be the wrong bulb.
Oh...I forgot the five kids.
spindrift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 05:58 PM   #6

Seeing as you bought the unit used it is possible the previous owner installed a lower wattage lamp. These bulbs burn out a lot as most people forget to turn them off. If I recall they are only rated for 1500 hours (1500 / 10 hr per day = 150 days)
As explained if your lamp is dim and you plug in the shore power and it brightens that means your batteries are low. (they need charging or cleaning the posts or water or replaced)
If you have the correct bulb and batteries are good for the fun check the ground on the fixture along with the positive connectors that go to the switch and fixture. If by chance when the unit was wired and the wire ends into the connectors are missing braids this can cause the same problem. but this is extreme.
2015 38 GK
Cheryl & Wayne
ted 95 is offline   Reply With Quote