Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-20-2015, 09:26 PM   #1

Old issue revisited. AC?

I have been so engrossed with so many other larger issues that I have not paid attention to all of the threads on this fine forum. Has anyone yet successfully installed a third AC on the RW? I of course have the 38GK. Today is not what I consider a REALLY hot south Louisiana day. 92 and low humidity. Both AC's are running wide open and cannot get it any lower than 76 degrees. This is just not acceptable in my opinion. I may be expecting far to much. I have read all the other quick fixes. But have yet to have my GK at home long enough to check those issues and fix them if possible.
mstan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2015, 09:48 PM   #2

Mark,
I have Redwood working on a fix for mine. Will pm you when I get a resolution.

Ron & Margaret
2014 Ram 3500 DRW 6.7, Aisin, 4.10
"Pequod" 2015 Redwood 38GK
Titan Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2015, 10:16 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titan Guy View Post
Mark,
I have Redwood working on a fix for mine. Will pm you when I get a resolution.
Let us know what Redwoods resolution is, I have done a number of improvements and today sitting here in Williston FL (Ocala area) we are maintaining 72 degrees with ease.

I may have missed something that will help / improve our A/C performance / efficiency, I just modified the items I found that I thought were affecting our A/C performance but would sure like to hear if Redwood has any other ideas !!!
17.5 Goodyear G114's, RV Armor Roof
2018 RAM 3500 DRW, Curt Q24 Hitch

rob_fla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015, 03:32 AM   #4
Site Team

I agree, a third a/c is nice (I hace 3 on my coach) but I believe this might require a energy management system due to all the electrical draw. It's my understanding, a few 5th wheels ( the new Luxe is one of them) have this type of system but I don't think Redwood has gone down that path yet. It's way over due so hopefully they're looking at it.
Old 09-21-2015, 04:42 AM   #5

Dave, do you have the new 100A plug? I heard some of the campsites are starting to provide them.
atom ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015, 05:10 AM   #6
Site Team

No Brad....we have the 50 amp plug. The energy management keeps everything running as it should.
Old 09-21-2015, 05:17 AM   #7

I just tried to look it up - looks like they just use two 50A cords that plug into a twin 50A pedestal. I guess there aren't too many out there - a few Prevost and Newell. I thought maybe it was a new type of plug but I guess not.
Old 09-21-2015, 11:35 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave&Ginny View Post
I agree, a third a/c is nice (I hace 3 on my coach) but I believe this might require a energy management system due to all the electrical draw. It's my understanding, a few 5th wheels ( the new Luxe is one of them) have this type of system but I don't think Redwood has gone down that path yet. It's way over due so hopefully they're looking at it.
Redwood says they have gone with a Power Management System on the new models with 3 A/C units due to the amp load of all the electrical appliances and 3 A/C units/
17.5 Goodyear G114's, RV Armor Roof
2018 RAM 3500 DRW, Curt Q24 Hitch

rob_fla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015, 04:58 PM   #9

Quote:
As of yesterday when I checked, we are now offering 3 AC's and an energy management system :-) Heat pumps standard on 2 of those AC's, 3rd heat pump is an option.

Tell Luxe to do their worst
ChristianM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015, 07:03 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristianM View Post
As of yesterday when I checked, we are now offering 3 AC's and an energy management system :-) Heat pumps standard on 2 of those AC's, 3rd heat pump is an option.

Tell Luxe to do their worst
Awesome!

So what exactly does the management system do? Does is check or monitor loads and prioritize what can run so as not to overload the 50A?
Old 09-21-2015, 07:25 PM   #11
Site Team

Mine tells me how many amps are coming into the coach and then utilizes the amps according to what is needed. So even if I plug into a 30 amp plug, it will work with the power source better. I believe it also works with my inverter to power some of my plugs.
Old 09-21-2015, 08:18 PM   #12

That sounds cool - and probably a necessity with 3 ACs. Do you get to pick what is considered needed, or is that a factory setup thing?
Old 09-21-2015, 08:24 PM   #13
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by atom ant View Post
That sounds cool - and probably a necessity with 3 ACs. Do you get to pick what is considered needed, or is that a factory setup thing?
I wish I could tell you I'm smart and have all of these new things figured out.......but I'm not that smart. Too many things to do and this summer has been a very busy for us.

I turn on my inverter, and let the computer do the rest. We've never had anything not work when we tell it to. IT'S MAGIC!
Old 09-21-2015, 08:26 PM   #14

hahaha MAGIC is good! Some things are best left as they are if all works good!
Old 09-21-2015, 08:36 PM   #15
Site Team

The only thing I can say for sure is with the Redwood I could tell when I was pushing the limit on the amperage that was provided. I don't know if all the energy management systems work the same but with ours, it seems to work seamlessly. I can even set mine up to where the generator automatically kicks on and provides power when the amperage gets too low (or the unit gets too cold) but I haven't played with that part yet.
Old 09-21-2015, 09:05 PM   #16

When I was looking at MHs they seemed to have their stuff together on power and probably made easy work of the residential fridges and even the cooktops. I remember even watching the gen start if the inverters pulled power too low. Trailers are going to have to take that next step of sophistication if they are going to continue to introduce residential appliances more and more. Generators may have to become standard to make them actually all work together as well as a MH.

Unfortunately at that point, they may be priced out of my reasonableness for what we use as a camper.
Old 09-21-2015, 09:42 PM   #17
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by atom ant View Post
When I was looking at MHs they seemed to have their stuff together on power and probably made easy work of the residential fridges and even the cooktops. I remember even watching the gen start if the inverters pulled power too low. Trailers are going to have to take that next step of sophistication if they are going to continue to introduce residential appliances more and more. Generators may have to become standard to make them actually all work together as well as a MH.

Unfortunately at that point, they may be priced out of my reasonableness for what we use as a camper.
Brad I agree.......

Tom and I had that discussion before his departure. I think it can be done if it's demanded by the future buyers. I believe right now the RV manufactures (5th wheels) are too focused on the glitz and glitter and not enough on function. if a survey is taken, most owners are making their decisions based on the floor plan rather than the quality of build or the functionality of the unit.

I'm surprised somebody doesn't make a large cardboard box, put nice paint on it and arrange the furniture right........it would probably sell.
Old 09-21-2015, 10:31 PM   #18

Well I definitely agree the residential fridge came out in the Redwood before it was ready. Between battery issues, not being able to shutdown the inverter, not being able to winterize, and dented doors, there could have been a little more research done on what MHs and even other brands were doing.

I know some of this just doesn't show up until production is done, but I think a lot of the aggravation could have been avoided wit a little more homework. The owners are finding out the residential cooktops aren't what they seem either - given one burner cuts to 50% when the second burner comes on, but I don't know how you avoid that on a non-220V setup. The closer these get to residential, the greater the need to bite the bullet and go to 220V like the MH, and maybe the split 50s like the new MHs are requiring to get 100A 220V service.

The future looks fun, but I still like my old fashioned gas appliances to work on 12V. For now...
Old 09-21-2015, 10:48 PM   #19
Site Team

I've still got the LP cook top but I guess the all the 2016 units have the induction cook tops. I guess I'm old fashion because we still miss the old ovens
Old 09-21-2015, 10:54 PM   #20

Quote:
I've still got the LP cook top but I guess the all the 2016 units have the induction cook tops. I guess I'm old fashion because we still miss the old ovens
hahaha - I got that too, wasn't negotiable with the DW - but I actually got her to start using the convection. She will only use it if the gas oven is tied up

And she thinks the heat pumps are silly because they don't warm the floor, so she kicks on the gas furnace! Looks like our MH might need the heated tile floor!

We looked at an older Newmar for fun that actually had no propane on board. The giant generator was diesel, and the heat was one of those hot water heat systems like you have, but when not on electric it fired up with diesel. Quite the intricate system for a gadget guy like me, not to mention the solar roof and 18 batteries in the back....