Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-09-2014, 04:34 AM   #41

Mine is not hardwired & the first one burnt up, thank goodness we had it.
Traded '13 GMC Denali DRW D/A
Currently rv & truckless
Replacement undetermined
travelin' texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 04:39 AM   #42

I use one of these portable ones, not as good as a hard wired unit but it's added protection and should stop a major incident.
http://www.campingworld.com/shopping...r-50-amp/56424
Blue Dogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 04:41 AM   #43

We have this Progressive Industries:
http://www.amazon.com/Progressive-In...urge+protector

it was on sale when I got it...
johnboytoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 04:44 AM   #44

Read all the specs on the surge suppression units, they are not equal as to what they protect against.

With that, we have a hardwired Progressive Dynamics on this one because I got spooked with all the electronics, but this is the first rig of 5 or so that I ever put surge suppression in and I never had problems before.
atom ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 05:03 AM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by csb View Post
As a new Redwood owner. Should you always use a surge protector???
As soon as we saw all the electronics provided in these coaches and read about some of the power issues at some campgrounds we decided a surge protector was essential.

Like Chuck we had it installed by the dealer before we took delivery.

I consider it cheap insurance, as I recently priced a convection/microwave in Canada and it was over $1,000.

Andy & Judi, Canine Companions Duke & Kona
2012 F350 Lariat CC SRW Airlift 5000 |2013 RW 36FL Winegard Trav'ler
Travel Blog: www.andyandjudi.com
Oriana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 03:29 PM   #46

We have also heard of nightmares in campgrounds when it comes to pedestals. Personally, we were in a campground we have used frequently when I woke up in the middle of the night and noticed our fan was surging. I have a small voltage meter plugged into our bedroom outlet and the voltage was bouncing up and down. I immediately turned everything off and unhooked the fifth wheel from the pedestal. We left the next day but informed management of the problem. The next time we visited that place I asked them about that incident and they informed me that the power company had an issue with the transformer providing power to the campground. Needless to say, we purchased the portable Progressive surge protector with readouts and have used it ever since. I like the idea of being able to keep my surge protector when I switch or trade coaches. I lock my surge protector to the pedestal with a cable to deter the "not so honest" people. I wouldn't be hooked up without it!
Rick and Mindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 07:36 PM   #47

first.. thing i did was install this.... http://www.progressiveindustries.net/ssp_50.htm as i have on every unit we have owned.. not the best but darned good enough.. saved our unit several times.. (lightning strikes and power surges) here is a video for the rl...
mesg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 08:00 PM   #48

as a side note.. to my other post.. i carry/use these...very accurate.. and show everything you need ....when used in conjuction with..http://www.progressiveindustries.net/ems_hw50c.htm
Old 05-09-2014, 09:50 PM   #49

Send a message via AIM to NW Snowbirds
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxfire View Post
That's what I'm using right now works fine displays all important data real nice unit
X2 and works perfectly.
Old 05-10-2014, 02:45 AM   #50

guess i missed a link ... my bad.. this is what i recommend http://www.p3international.com/products/p4490.html also available...http://www.p3international.com/produ...gy-savers.html
Old 05-10-2014, 07:04 PM   #51

Ours is not hard wired, but in area's with lighting, it is critical, so as to protect every RV system. At llano state park ours showed a pedistal ground issue, ranger brought checked using a $15.00 tester, our's was/is $450.00. Guess which was right, ped connector melted to protector, I pulled the pesdistal block apart, ours was more sturdy. I think everybody needs one.
Old 05-11-2014, 12:54 AM   #52

Send a message via AIM to NW Snowbirds
Quote:
Originally Posted by RifRaff View Post
Ours is not hard wired, but in area's with lighting, it is critical, so as to protect every RV system. At llano state park ours showed a pedistal ground issue, ranger brought checked using a $15.00 tester, our's was/is $450.00. Guess which was right, ped connector melted to protector, I pulled the pesdistal block apart, ours was more sturdy. I think everybody needs one.
Did you mean "lightning"?
Old 05-13-2014, 02:44 PM   #53

Well I write this response as I sit in the Lazy Days service waiting area for the 8th day, just informed I'll be here for yet another day - that is a whole other story! Redwood or more specifically Crossroads has been very responsive, but I cannot express enough how much these waits and delays have cost me personally out of pocket. Lengths of stay in hotels, meal expenses, overnight fees for parts to get them in a timely manner, as Redwood won't cover those (those cost for overnight being cheaper then being dislodged from my home).

Bought our 31SL in June of 2013 from Southwest Coaches.

We live in ours fulltime when it works.

1. A/C didn't work (An issue when your in Nevada) Unit spent a month in service, both A/C's replaced, hadn't had it for a week. Took receipt of coach, and had to leave for California due to work. A/C still didn't work.
2. Microwave had to be replaced. Kept coming on by itself. Safety recall issued first week of May 2014, a year later. - RW replaced
3. 4-door Norcold Frig had to be replaced by mobile service (Oh that was fun to watch - not). It wouldn't keep temps in the safe range from receipt of vehicle. Norcold service rep said "DO NOT EAT ANYTHING FROM THE FRIG, YOU WILL GET SICK". That was after us being in the coach for a month.
4. Slides were out of sync from dealer, closed too tight on one side, split seal and knocked all the facia off the dinette side slide. Had to have a mobile service come and adjust all slides just so we could get them in and out.
5. Back in Vegas, +100 degree heat. Called mobile repair service for A/C. They were pulling handfuls of construction debris from the ducts the A/Cs attached too. That was after they removed the duct work punch-outs which were never removed. A/C barely worked now, but works.
6. Bedroom door jam is peeling - being worked on
7. Desk Draw latch didn't work - We repaired it
8. Utility shower hose had thd wrong fitting would not attach to coach. - being worked on
9. A/C ductwork being replaced/rebuilt. - beign worked on
10. Blackwater tank not venting properly - being worked on
11. Damaged real seal due to poor slide setup replaced - being worked on

I love our coach. I wish we had one of the new 2014 38MB in that awesome new silver paint scheme. I have to admit I have my reservations about getting another one. I still don't have this one working right yet. Plus their choices in dealerships seem shoddy.
Old 05-13-2014, 02:47 PM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick View Post
We had a short also early on. Kept losing the leg with the fireplace. Finally found the connection at the fitting entering the trailer was loose. Very frustrating when you are trying to use your "home".
I was told by a salesperson here at Lazy Days that they had a unit where the 50 amp plug on the unit was bad. Causing the electronics to fry.
Old 05-13-2014, 02:54 PM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by csb View Post
As a new Redwood owner. Should you always use a surge protector???
I would say yes. I have had one on since day one.
Old 05-13-2014, 03:13 PM   #56

SecretSkwerl, it sounds like you didn't have a very responsible tech when you did your PDI. Most of those issues should have been discovered and dealt with before you took possession. ALL systems should have been shown working. The microwave problem could have been missed because the problem was sporadic, but there is no excuse for the slides not being adjusted properly. I also have a 31sl which we purchased in Jan of 2013. The issues I have been dealing with are mostly resulting from poor warranty work from a Crossroads Dealer. Redwood is picking up my coach this week and taking it to the Crossroads Service Center for necessary repairs. You can see my pics of the poor warranty repairs on the photo section of this forum. Hopefully you will get the repairs done soon so you can enjoy that 31sl.
Old 05-13-2014, 03:27 PM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick and Mindy View Post
SecretSkwerl, it sounds like you didn't have a very responsible tech when you did your PDI. Most of those issues should have been discovered and dealt with before you took possession. ALL systems should have been shown working. The microwave problem could have been missed because the problem was sporadic, but there is no excuse for the slides not being adjusted properly. I also have a 31sl which we purchased in Jan of 2013. The issues I have been dealing with are mostly resulting from poor warranty work from a Crossroads Dealer. Redwood is picking up my coach this week and taking it to the Crossroads Service Center for necessary repairs. You can see my pics of the poor warranty repairs on the photo section of this forum. Hopefully you will get the repairs done soon so you can enjoy that 31sl.
Whether it was a bad tech or my ignorance or a combination of above. It just plain stinks. I came from the Airstream world. This is my first foray into 5th wheels. I wouldn't expect these kind of issues on a coach that is of residential quality. It is as if no is no quality control on certain units at Redwood.
Old 05-13-2014, 03:43 PM   #58

I don't know why, but it seems like no matter what, some things are lemons. We have had good luck with our Redwood. We have been in our 36RL for almost 2 years. Have had only a couple minor warranty issues. After reading about some of the problems other people have had, it kind of scares you and you wonder if you should expect something down the road. Need to knock on wood. In '78 bought a new 3/4 ton Chevy. Had problems from the word go. Finally got rid of it. Had Chevy's since with no problem. I guess sometimes it's just the luck of the draw.
Old 05-13-2014, 03:44 PM   #59

I agree, there needs to be better quality control when these units are being built. To be fair, this is not an issue exclusive to the Redwood units, it's an issue you find no matter what you purchase, visit some other forums and you will see the same problems. The difference is in the customer service side of the product and I will have to say that Redwood seems to far surpass others in that area. Granted, it may take some tooth pulling sometimes to get something done but I have always been greeted by a person when calling their customer service and usually that person is knowledgeable of what it takes to resolve the issue. You must be polite and persistent but so far their Customer Service has come through.
Old 05-13-2014, 03:50 PM   #60

I agree wholeheartedly. Crossroads, not particularly Redwoods has been there the whole way. Poor Terry Baughman at Crossroads probably cringes when he sees an email from me, but does that fella work to solve problems. He and Mark Quin were instrumental in getting things addressed and fixed. I can't fault them at all for trying to fix the bad. It is just a shame so much seems bad from the get.