Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-08-2012, 04:51 PM   #1

OK, it's getting colder up here and almost time to winterize. Has anyone thought about some of the following non-obvious aspects of doing it? Suggestions welcome...

1) How do you winterize a unit that hasa dishwasher and/or a clothes washer?

2) How will you keep your tires from getting flat spots?

3) How will you keep your disk brake rotors from rusting badly?

4) How will you keep your cover from abraiding your paint during those winter winds (black shows everything).

5) Will you keep all your Level-Up jacks extended, just the fronts, or use blocks and extend the fronts just enough to get unhooked and then retract?

6) Is the belly pan "tight enough" to keep mice and/or chipmunks out?

7) What about mold, mildew, condensation inside?
Mike & Pam '12 36RL, Kodiak Discs, 17.5" G114s H-Rated, SRE4000 w/HD Shackles, Joy Rider Shocks, Flex Air, 5.5 Onan, W&D, DW, 4 Scare Lights, (2) 6V Trojan T-145s; Progressive EMS-HW50C, Winegard DTV Sat, Sony/Denon 4K Home Theater, WiFiRanger EliteAC Pack, weBoost 4G-X Cell Booster.

2022 RAM 3500 Limited CC, LB, 4x4, DRW, Max Tow, Cummins HO, AISIN, 4.10, Mopar 30K w/OEM Prep, Transfer Flow 70gal Aux Tank/Toolbox.
5th_Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 05:19 PM   #2

1) I found the instructions for the washer on the manufact. web site for our model. There are 2 way you can do it. I chose to run the unit to fill with antifreeze and they it gets drained out. In the spring I will just run a cycle through the machine. As for the dishwasher the should be something in the manual or you should be able to get it on their web site.
2) I am going to keep my jacks extended. This takes the weight off the tires. If I find out the the jacks should not be extended I will have to go to plan B???
3)Not sure about this one. Anyone else have any idea's
4)I don't use a cover.
5)I am extending all of mine. I will make sure I spray them with a lubricate.
6)I would have a good look around to make sure there are no open holes. the pan should keep the mice out. If there are any openings around fittings you can foam them. I put lots of moth balls on the ground under the trailer. I hope this deters them and the cat next door eats some. (just kidding).
7) We have been useing damp aid products for the last 5 years. There are different types that they make. They use a chemical to absorb the moisture out of the air and the water goes into a sealed container or bag. We put about three of these units in the trailer and they are always full by spring. If you are in a really damp area you may want to check on them now and again. They will not leak and really work. A little pricey but I want no mold!!
Hope this helps.

Hoistman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 08:01 PM   #3

Not sure if there is any 100% effective way to keep those little furry creatures out no matter what you do. About the best you can hope for is to limit their access and to discourage those that do manage to get in. As to washer and dishwasher, I agree to run some of the pink stuff through both. As to the rotors, hopefully they are a good quality and will polish up with the first use next spring with no pitting. As for us we plan to use the same method as last year, HEAD SOUTH and don't come back till summer.
2018 Chevy 3500HD Crew Cab High Country DRW, D/A, 2016 RW39MB, Dual ACs, Auto Level, Auto Sat Dish, Stack W/D, King Sleep #, 17.5" Sailuns w/Disc, MORryde IS & Pin, Comfort Ride Hitch, 5.5 Onan, Res Fridge & Induction Cook Top
mhs4771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 08:07 PM   #4

Great Plan.

Old 10-08-2012, 09:36 PM   #5
Site Team

I agree....I will put some pink stuff through the system, drain the water heater and fresh water tank. I also keep the waste water valves open and I make sure the drains are filled with antifreeze too.

The rotors will polish themselves next spring on the first trip. As for the jacks, they'll be down to take the weight off the tires which will be placed on old rubber mud flaps to help prevent cracking. I like the idea of a cover but I'm afraid of the scratches that the cover may cause if it has any dust on it.

Any extra clothing and food will be removed in an attempt to keep the little critters out.

Old 10-08-2012, 09:39 PM   #6
Dan

I tried to google winterizing the fisher paykel dishwasher but didn't come up with anything I too need to winterize mine some how, hopefully someone will come up with the procedure

Dan

07 Dodge 3500, Exhaust Brake, Edge Programer, Killer "B" Turbo
13 RL ALL options except Gen and W/D
Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 11:16 PM   #7

I went thru my manuals for the dishwasher and washer and found nothing on winterizing. The best thing to do is run a cycle hooked up to a jug of RV antifreeze. That will fill the pump and traps with antifreeze.

I am having my unit winterized by Camping in Style when they fix all my other issues in the next week or so. I will ask how they did it and post here as well.

Old 10-09-2012, 07:15 AM   #8

What we did with our washer/dryer was to start the fill cycle at the end of the winterization process, then turn the dialto the end of the spin/drain cycle. Open the filter with a towel underneath and check for pink. Fifteen years and it worked. As for the dishwasher, we will try that method on wednesday and see if that works. Next the ice maker, there is a solenoid valve outside which you can disconnect the plastic feed tubing and force the water out until pink flows. Watch out it's like changing a babies diaperTwo people required. One to turn on the pump and the other to point the hose away from the rig. Then reattach the tube let the frig cycle the ice maker with the pump on and the pink jug hooked up. Dealers hot wire the solenoid and force it through the defrosted fridge. By the way don't forget to put some pink in you water tank. Gray and black tank vavles need pink to lubricate them as well as you toilet bowl.
Old 10-09-2012, 07:57 AM   #9

Be careful with the antifreeze. Looks like when they winterized mine at factory, theyleft somepink in the bathroom sink. I have a pink ring around the sink drain which won't come out. It probably stained the plumber's putty. Point is, try to wash it off visible plastic before next Spring... just in case. Edited by: 5th_Time
Mike & Pam '12 36RL, Kodiak Discs, 17.5" G114s H-Rated, SRE4000 w/HD Shackles, Joy Rider Shocks, Flex Air, 5.5 Onan, W&D, DW, 4 Scare Lights, (2) 6V Trojan T-145s; Progressive EMS-HW50C, Winegard DTV Sat, Sony/Denon 4K Home Theater, WiFiRanger EliteAC Pack, weBoost 4G-X Cell Booster.

2022 RAM 3500 Limited CC, LB, 4x4, DRW, Max Tow, Cummins HO, AISIN, 4.10, Mopar 30K w/OEM Prep, Transfer Flow 70gal Aux Tank/Toolbox.
Old 10-09-2012, 08:19 AM   #10

Easiest way to winterize is to live in FL and store it there!!!!!!!
Old 10-09-2012, 10:49 AM   #11

The winterizing instructions are not in the Manuel but they are online. Just google your manf. And model for winterizing instructions. There are 2 ways do doing it.

Old 10-09-2012, 10:55 AM   #12
Site Team

Has anybody had any issues with a cover? I might reconsider buying one.

Old 10-09-2012, 11:40 AM   #13

Dave we are going to be putting a CW cover on our unit as well. We had one for the motorhome and it worked great, but we had large SS bumpers on the bottom corners. With the new material we are going to use, it seems lighter and more airy plus with air vents and more tie downs. Plus I will add a few more and secure them with bungees to the frame. Another thing I am considering is to tape an old blanket to the roof and hang over the front cap to protect my wax job. It goes on at the end of NOV or close. Will let you know.
"Boy do I hate this time of the camping season!"
Old 10-09-2012, 03:37 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoistman
The winterizing instructions are not in the Manuel but they are online. Just google your manf. And model for winterizing instructions. There are 2 ways do doing it.
Your winterizing instructions are on the inside of the door for your slide controls, if not there check with your dealer, all winterizing and warranty check areas are with it as well
Old 10-09-2012, 04:21 PM   #15

Here is the link to the Splendide Washer winterizing instructions:<a href="http://www.splendide.com/WD2_AW122_Winterize.pdf" target="_blank" rel="nofollow">

</A>

http://www.splendide.com/WD2_AW122_Winterize.pdf

Edited by: 5th_Time

Old 10-09-2012, 09:48 PM   #16

Be very careful with winter covers... my experience with sailboats in Ontario is mixed.
Windy winter days cause lots of damage in very short time due to chafing, buckles or straps coming loose etc. You need to be close by to rectify issues immediately. Our trailer is 30 minutes away... I will take my chances and hope my wax does a good job. We need to check each month to run the genny and look for squatters... a real PITA if there is a cover to deal with.

Old 10-09-2012, 10:07 PM   #17

I covered my 36 RL last year and had no issues. Plan to cover again his year. I keep my unit behind my property so I keep close eye on it. Only cover it from Late October to January. Then have to find decent dry day to uncover and head to Florida for two months.
Old 10-09-2012, 11:43 PM   #18
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradPAjax
Be very careful with winter covers... my experience with sailboats in Ontario is mixed.
Windy winter days cause lots of damage in very short time due to chafing, buckles or straps coming loose etc. You need to be close by to rectify issues immediately. Our trailer is 30 minutes away... I will take my chances and hope my wax does a good job. We need to check each month to run the genny and look for squatters... a real PITA if there is a cover to deal with.

Good point
Old 10-09-2012, 11:46 PM   #19

The key here is to keep a close eye on your unit and its cover. Make a point on windy days or after a storm to check your unit if you decide to get a cover.
Last year at our yacht club a member invested several hundred dollars in a a fancy new cover and support frame for his brand new 38 foot power boat. A bad storm in mid January loosened the straps and the resulting damage in a few hours caused by the flailing frame, straps, buckles, etc. did several thousand dollars damage to the gelcoat, windows, and stainless steel railings on his boat.
He would have been better off spending a few hours washing the black streaks off in the Spring.... instead he got his boat back the end of July after the boat was repaired by his insurance company.
Sometimes the cure is worse than the problem.

Old 10-10-2012, 09:15 AM   #20

CW wants $1,100. plus for a cover. with our winds kicking up to 60 plus gust at times. I think I'll pass and keep a good coat of wax on it.

Lillyputz