Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-02-2012, 08:28 AM   #1

Just had a Winegard DirecTV satellite antenna installed on our 36RL. Unfortunately, we did not have the DirecTV box at the time of installation. Now that we have it, attempted to hook it up, but we have no video signal from the Slimline antenna. Went up to the roof of the RV and measured the output of the four coax connections with a Satellite Finder signal meter- all read zero dbm.

We have a 75ohm coaxial cable running from the anntenna to the prewired connection on the roof. This is connected to the DirecTv box. The DirecTv box is connected to the Toshiba Tv via a HDMI cable. Have run the setup on the TV setting it to cable and turned off the TV booster and still can't get any signal. Anyone know how to configure the setup? TIA
Adamsvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 09:02 AM   #2

Well if you're using an HDMI cable you have to select that HDMI input for the TV not cable. Our Toshiba has two HDMI, one (HDMI 1)is connected to the BlueRay/Home Entertainment and the other (HDMI 2) is connected to our DirecTV DVR. We had the Factory install four cables for our SlimLine with 2 to the LR, 1 to the BR and the 4th to the Basement. BUT none in the LR were labeled so it was a trial and error to pick the correct 2 cables for the DVR.
2018 Chevy 3500HD Crew Cab High Country DRW, D/A, 2016 RW39MB, Dual ACs, Auto Level, Auto Sat Dish, Stack W/D, King Sleep #, 17.5" Sailuns w/Disc, MORryde IS & Pin, Comfort Ride Hitch, 5.5 Onan, Res Fridge & Induction Cook Top
mhs4771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 10:04 AM   #3

Thanks, will go out and buy another HDMI cable, and give it a try. Is there anything special with the setup?
Old 10-03-2012, 11:25 PM   #4

Make sure that none of your lines have a splitter on it. It took my dealership almost 18 hours of labor to get my Winegard directv dish installed and working. My dealer ended up running new wiring through the coach as the cables ran at the factory were not run or connected correctly.

Old 10-04-2012, 04:20 PM   #5

Spent the better part of day trying to trace the coaxial cables running from the back of the Directv box to the Winegard antenna. Here's what I found... The output voltage coming out of the Directv box was 18.32 VDC; however, it was zero at the coax that is connected to the antenna. Went back in the RV and measured it at the wallplate behind the main TV- still 18.32. Took the wallplate off and measure it on the other side of the wallplate - it read zero VDC - bad barrel connector in the wallplate - replaced the barrel connector and went back on the roof and measured the coax- still zero VDC... Argh! Went back in and pulled the orange coax until I found a two way splitter. Took off the input connector and measured it- and you guessed it, it read zero. Replaced both coax connectors and remeasured it and it now read 18.32VDC. Put the splitter back on and now measured it after the splitter. - it read zero. Double Argh!! Took the splitter off and connected the two coax's with a barrel connector. Went back on the roof and measured the coax at the antenna- it now read 13.57 VDC.Ah good - I thought, as the Winegard only needs 12VDC. Went back in the RV and ran the setup for the Directv box - drats it still couldn't lock onto the satellites. Then I ran the satellite signal strength test and found that the transponders were responding with signal levels to 97dbm. Ah good, but now what??? Didn't know what to do next, so I mixed a few stiff ones to take the sting out of the day.

I wish Redwood would provide us wiring diagrams, label the cables, and fully test their connections. I suspect their is yet another splitter somewhere, maybe behind the fireplace - will try to find it today.
Old 10-04-2012, 04:30 PM   #6

Did some more testing and discovered the cable run on the roof was bad. Replaced it and ran the set up on the Directv box. It locked.... yeah!!!!

Called Directv to try to activate the box and SIM card... they said I needed an installer to come and activate it. He's coming tomorrow. What a goat rope with Directv.
Old 10-10-2012, 08:28 AM   #7

Well, the DTv installer came and to make a long story shorter couldn't activate the box... not enough signal strength. Apparently DTv needs -95dbm to close the loop.

Getting frustrated we drove to a Winegard Antenna installer and were advised that DTv needs a dedicated antenna line for each box you want to hook up. After six hours of testing we finally had our DTv!

Here's what we've learned - when ordering your units, insist that Redwood install dedicated RG6 cables for each box you expect to have. That means no splitters or barrel connectors! So if you want four tv's hooked up to DTv', you'll need four dedicated lines. Our previously Redwood installed cable runs had at least three bad connectors, two bad barrel connectors, and one bad splitter that we could find. There had to other splitters in ours, but we couldn't find them.

All's well that ends well; however, this has been a PIA!

Old 10-10-2012, 10:13 AM   #8

Yep, that's the reason we worked with Brian and the Factory and had all four of those cables installed into you unit during assembly. Only problem we had was figuring out which two were from the SlimLine Dish in the Living room.
2018 Chevy 3500HD Crew Cab High Country DRW, D/A, 2016 RW39MB, Dual ACs, Auto Level, Auto Sat Dish, Stack W/D, King Sleep #, 17.5" Sailuns w/Disc, MORryde IS & Pin, Comfort Ride Hitch, 5.5 Onan, Res Fridge & Induction Cook Top
mhs4771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 07:51 PM   #9

Total BS for a MSRP of $125,000! Can't seem to organize a rock fight in a gravel pit on some items!
Have not gone to full time yet with satellite... we got 22 channels in Canada on Antenna this summer! May be pissed off when we retire or go to the stand alone ice maker and drink with the neighbors!

Old 10-10-2012, 09:20 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradPAjax
Total BS for a MSRP of $125,000! Can't seem to organize a rock fight in a gravel pit on some items!
Have not gone to full time yet with satellite... we got 22 channels in Canada on Antenna this summer! May be pissed off when we retire or go to the stand alone ice maker and drink with the neighbors!

We only get stations on the bedroom tv, when hooked up at a campground. can't get any on the living room tv. the tv keeps saying low signal. it's on our list of additional repairs.

Lillyputz
Old 10-11-2012, 07:55 AM   #11

In our 36rl we receive great to good signals in the our bed room and basement tv. But the big toshiba in the living room has a tough time pulling in a great signal from the campground even with a booster installed before the connectiion in the service area. I think that most campgrounds are not set up for HD processing. (some day?!) Don't forget to turn OFF the booster in your bedroom for the antenna.
Old 10-11-2012, 08:37 AM   #12

After our last saga with our Directv installation, I wish Redwood would have provided us with a wiring diagram with the location of all the splitters. Here's what we've found - when connecting to the Over The Air (OTA) antenna, turn your booster on, when connecting to a parks analog cable system turn your booster off. If you are using the satellite with a HDMI cable , it doesn't matter.