Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-21-2019, 01:27 AM   #1

No shore power to breaker panel!!??

Hi All, 2016 38MBS purchased New.
New to posting here, not new to full time RVing. Hear is an electrical problem that has me very puzzled. At 4ish this morning we lost 110 power to the coach. When it was light enough out to see, I went to check on things, note-there was no bad weather or lose of power to the CG. CG had power and my BB (breaker box panel) in the coach did not. The Progressive EMS showedm124v line 1&2, 0 amp draw line 1&2, 60h and a Error code of 0. All should be fine ….Not. The process begins, multimeter in hand I double checked the CG pedestal to confirm 124 volts, yes it has. Checked the voltage at the end of the pigtail where it plugs into the coach, still 124 volts. All outside plugins look to be in excellent condition, no melting or discoloring. Tripped the CG main breaker, unplugged and replugged EMS and both ends of power cord, turned breaker back on and again confirmed 124 volts to the outside of the coach. Outside should be good to go!!?? I would think. The problem is I have 124 volts of power to the inverter in the basement and the same to the transfer relay in the battery compartment but batteries are not charging, don't know why? I don' have a generator but is prewired. I DO NOT have power to the BB in the coach, zero voltage line 1&2. All 12 volt items work until the batteries die, even the frig until I turned the inverter off to save the batteries. Factory wiring diagram is of no use in this case. Motel time, no A/C no fulltime RVing for us. Now question is, what is inline with the on board power line to allow power to inverter and charger but not the BB No previous electrical problems thanks to the EMS. Someone on this site once said there is no such thing as to much info... to all that take the time to read this, Thanks very much.
PS I think this will be a Redwood question on Monday.
RVn4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2019, 01:37 AM   #2

Do you have 124 going into and out of the Generator Transfer Switch?? If you are pre-wired for a generator, you should have a transfer switch. If you have power going into it, but not out, you could move that input cable to the other input port (the one where the generator would go). That is provided the contacts haven't burnt up in the transfer switch, would get you power back until the transfer switch gets replaced.
2018 Chevy 3500HD Crew Cab High Country DRW, D/A, 2016 RW39MB, Dual ACs, Auto Level, Auto Sat Dish, Stack W/D, King Sleep #, 17.5" Sailuns w/Disc, MORryde IS & Pin, Comfort Ride Hitch, 5.5 Onan, Res Fridge & Induction Cook Top
mhs4771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2019, 01:43 AM   #3

do you have a generator OR generator prep ? there is a swap over relay for campers with Gen Prep in the front basement that may have a bad power connection. Mine is mounted up high near the closet floor If your on a 50 amp site you should have 120 / 240 volt If you don't have 240 phase to phase and 120 volt on two legs to ground / neutral its site wiring problem . A 30 amp site would have 120 volt only. So I am not sure I follow you on how you tested for power.

If you have enough cord ask you neighbor to pug in for 10 mins then check your camper.
Old 07-21-2019, 04:03 AM   #4

mhs4771, I only checked the one lead at the automatic transfer relay switch not thinking about how it works. No generator on this coach so if it isn't fried inside I would think your suggestion would work temporarily. Thanks immensely!!!

xcmark, no generator on board but is generator prepped. My ATR switch is in the same spot, very hard for this old fart to get to. Will be searching the CG in the morning for someone a little more limber than myself. All voltage readings made at my 50 amp site and in the coach were read on only one leg of power (or one line at a time to make sure both legs had power) from pedestal. No pedestal wiring problems with the neutral or ground. Hope that clears things up with how I previously posted it. Also, no tripped breakers in the coach or on the pedestal outside this morning. Thanks for your response and questions!

Another question, can a ART switch (automatic transfer relay) fail with it never being used, (no generator)
Old 07-21-2019, 11:09 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVn4Ever View Post
mhs4771, I only checked the one lead at the automatic transfer relay switch not thinking about how it works. No generator on this coach so if it isn't fried inside I would think your suggestion would work temporarily. Thanks immensely!!!

xcmark, no generator on board but is generator prepped. My ATR switch is in the same spot, very hard for this old fart to get to. Will be searching the CG in the morning for someone a little more limber than myself. All voltage readings made at my 50 amp site and in the coach were read on only one leg of power (or one line at a time to make sure both legs had power) from pedestal. No pedestal wiring problems with the neutral or ground. Hope that clears things up with how I previously posted it. Also, no tripped breakers in the coach or on the pedestal outside this morning. Thanks for your response and questions!

Another question, can a ART switch (automatic transfer relay) fail with it never being used, (no generator)

every time you plug in the coach the ats (auto trans switch ) pulls in and has power and power is flowing threw it. With no power on the utility cord its id in the generator position. When it has power on the utility cord it pulls in and disconnects the generator side. You should hear a bang with plugging in . You can bypass the relay up front completely if your never going to install a generator . sound like your on the right track , good luck
Old 07-21-2019, 09:36 PM   #6

If I remember right you have 2 legs of 120v going into the rig. When you meter tested the power at the trailer did you check both legs? I recently lost power to one of my a.c. units and after much frustration found that the surge protector was reading good voltage from the source into both legs but found out it wasn't allowing voltage to go out on one leg. Eliminated surge protector and surprise! Learned that the reading on the surge protector reads power coming into it not going out.
Rick and Mindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2019, 12:49 PM   #7

Our friend with a Grand Design had the same problem, came back from a trip without the RV and found spoiled food in the fridge etc. Turned out to be the transfer switch ( a bad board in it), he had to get a new switch as they don't sell parts of the switch. He bypassed the switch temporarily until the new one arrived.
Old 07-25-2019, 10:08 PM   #8

Hi All again,
First off, thanks to everyone on this site! My EMS is functioning properly as to voltage in and voltage out on both legs of it. Problem, the automatic transfer switch contactor failed. We moved the shore power leads to the unused generator contactor and we are once again back in our home.
Old 07-27-2019, 04:53 PM   #9

My transfer switch burnt up last year. 2013 36 RE. You need to replace that. Your symptoms are identical to what I had.
skipperr is offline   Reply With Quote