Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-08-2019, 04:21 PM   #1

No AC Shore Power to Panel 2016 39MB Converter?

Our inverter and 12v systems work fine. No AC power indicated coming to panel before breakers. Confirmed power is coming into cord from source.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Could this be a converter problem? Our unit is wired for a generator, but no generator on board. Could this possibly be a transfer switch? I spoke with Magnum Energy and the tech said my issue was not the inverter.

Thank you,
Rick
RickF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 05:04 PM   #2

Rick

Our coach is a bit older, but I think this part is wired the same. If you have the gen prep pkg, then the shore power travels from the driver side rear of the coach forward to the gen prep transfer switch. Ours is located in the forward compartment where the batteries are. Our transfer switch is mounted above the compartment where the generator would reside. I had our shore power receptacle (the one the shore power cord mates up with) replaced at the rally as the neutral conductor had come loose. Take a look in those places and use a non contact voltage indicator (screamer stick) to indicate power/no power to find out where is disappears.

Jim & Mary 2013 36 RL with Titan Disc Brakes Residential Fridge Goodyear 17.5 H rated tires MORryde IS, MORryde pin box 2015 Ford F350 King Ranch DRW
Jim & Mary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 07:01 PM   #3

Thank you, we appreciate the help!
Old 01-13-2019, 06:15 PM   #4

Thank You

Jim,

Got back up to where our rig is boondocked with screamer stick in hand. Within ten minutes I had traced power to the transfer switch, none leaving. Contacted a local electrician to make up jumpers across the switch. By doing that it kept the inverter in the loop. Fired up the generator (external) and everything works perfect!

Thanks for the accurate and helpful information!

Rick
Old 01-14-2019, 11:31 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickF View Post
Jim,

Got back up to where our rig is boondocked with screamer stick in hand. Within ten minutes I had traced power to the transfer switch, none leaving. Contacted a local electrician to make up jumpers across the switch. By doing that it kept the inverter in the loop. Fired up the generator (external) and everything works perfect!

Thanks for the accurate and helpful information!

Rick
sounds like the contactor in the transfer switch has expired. I know other have posted about burned up connections and cracked terminals on the contactor.
Old 01-15-2019, 01:28 AM   #6

Thanks. Thats what the electrican said. Told me I could pull them, get the numbers and replace. Since we use an external generator I did not replace anything because it’s likely the generator caused the failure. Put jumpers across and it works fine now.
Old 01-15-2019, 05:00 AM   #7

Just be careful what you do with jumpers, as the transfer switch function is to shield the utility connection from the generator output when the utility voltage has gone away during an outage. I would be very careful with how you use jumpers in the transfer switch contactor. Just sayin'

Jim & Mary 2013 36 RL with Titan Disc Brakes Residential Fridge Goodyear 17.5 H rated tires MORryde IS, MORryde pin box 2015 Ford F350 King Ranch DRW
Jim & Mary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2019, 06:00 PM   #8

bypassing transfer switch

sorry when i read your post saying the electrician bypassed your transfer switch i can agree but in doing so either your shore power feed or your gen feed should not be able to supply current to the trailer. if you tell me that if you plug in your trailer and at the gen input wires / plug your screamer goes off then they are live and should not be. for if he took the 3 wires from each circuit and joined them that is wrong. unless when you connected your portable gen via the shore power cord. be careful you are playing with 240v so your screamer can sound while one leg is off.

also do not leave it like this as you are playing with a problem let alone your insurance if something arched. a transfer sw is not that much $$$$
2015 38 GK
Cheryl & Wayne
ted 95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 01:26 AM   #9

Thank you. Appreciate your advice.

We are deep woods boondocking for an extended time. Yes, the generator is connected to the shore power cord. A new transfer switch will happen but needed power. Had licensed electrician with Rv experience performing at work and do testing the back of my findings.

Rick
Old 02-05-2019, 02:12 AM   #10

I have the same coach year and model, I had a similar issue but only power to frigerator receptacle (even on shore power) Tried everything I could think of including running refrig with extension cord off of island receptacle. but finally discovered that ground from battery had been left off when changing out the batteries. I assume that inverter was not getting any juice , in any event , when I reconnected the ground, everything works.
Pockets52 is offline   Reply With Quote