Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-17-2016, 10:55 PM   #1

New Tires

Ok here we go, I know this has been discussed a million times. On the way up here to the mountains from Phoenix we had one of our tires blow out. It didn't do too much damage to the RV, I can fix it up ok, but here's my question. I read a lot of threads on people jumping to H rated tires, but I don't have the money to do that yet. I have called down to Phoenix and talked to a couple of Tire stores. They have a Goodyear G rated tire, 235/85R16 load range G for $320 each or one made by Carlisle 235/85R16 load range F for $177 each. I don't trust these Goodyear 235/80R16 load range E anymore, I have read on here everyone is getting rid of them and putting on better tires. I just want some advice on if the F load range is good enough or do I need to spend twice the money and get the G rated. I will take just the one tire down with me to Phoenix and have a new tire put on and buy 3 more and have mounted when I get back home at the end of the month. I thank you all in advance, I have read and used a lot of the information I have read from you all on here. This is a great bunch of people.
Geo9350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2016, 11:04 PM   #2

Send a message via AIM to Shane Wood Send a message via MSN to Shane Wood Send a message via Yahoo to Shane Wood
If you have any model other than the 31sl
You will want a minimum g rated Tire. You will have to check your rims as the e rated are good to 80psi and the G,'s 110 psi. You may need to replace your rims if only good to 80psi
Most everyone with the Rl,'s fb,'s and Gk models are going to H rated tires and 17.5 rims
Try and put your trailer info in your signature cause it really helps to answer your questions
Old 06-17-2016, 11:55 PM   #3

Contact Ron/Titan Guy, he has a Sailun H tire & wheel for $1200 or GY 114s for $2000 and no more tire worries.
Traded '13 GMC Denali DRW D/A
Currently rv & truckless
Replacement undetermined
travelin' texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2016, 12:17 AM   #4

As the previous post says, if your rims aren't rated to take 110PSI, you're going to have to get new ones just to put G rated on the rig. Ron's Sailun and Goodyear H rated with new wheels are priced as low as you'll find anywhere, and you're dealing with a fellow Redwooder who walks the walk. You won't spend much more for these and then your tire worries will be over.

Jim & Mary 2013 36 RL with Titan Disc Brakes Residential Fridge Goodyear 17.5 H rated tires MORryde IS, MORryde pin box 2015 Ford F350 King Ranch DRW
Jim & Mary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2016, 01:20 AM   #5

Our RV is the 2013 36RE. I haven't figured out how to add my information at the bottom of the thread yet. I am in Arizona without a spare tire now so have to get something before I pull it on home another 200 miles anyway and I don't want to go without a spare that far.
Old 06-18-2016, 01:32 AM   #6

If it is just the spare, put on the least expensive tire and if it all possible, upgrade to at least Ron's Sailun tire when you get back. Your new spare will remain a spare. Nothing is wasted.
bergeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2016, 02:25 AM   #7

Just a word of caution, there have been many posts on this and other RV Forums, that once one of the China Bombs goes, others have been know to follow. Sometimes within a few hundred miles.
As for the Carlisle times, some seem to have good luck with them, while other no so good.
I had ordered our '12 36RL with the Gs, but then upgraded to the 17.5 Hs. On our current '16 39MB I ordered it with the 17.5s. We travel long term, so I know we're heavy and don't want to mess with tire problems.
2018 Chevy 3500HD Crew Cab High Country DRW, D/A, 2016 RW39MB, Dual ACs, Auto Level, Auto Sat Dish, Stack W/D, King Sleep #, 17.5" Sailuns w/Disc, MORryde IS & Pin, Comfort Ride Hitch, 5.5 Onan, Res Fridge & Induction Cook Top
mhs4771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2016, 03:16 AM   #8

Ok so if these other tires are ready to go, what is Goodyear doing selling tires made in China. I don't have the money right now to buy the 17 1/2 tires so I will just get something to get me home then save up. But if I do get the 17 1/2 inch tires and I have a flat again can I use the spare 16" tire to get me in or is there a problem with a 17 1/2" with a 16" in front or back of it? Looks like after I get the RV home it will be down for the rest of the summer till I can save up and get better tires. They should have recalled all these older units with these bad tires and made some sort of deal for us to upgrade. There are a lot of things I have found on this RV that I fell is cheaply put together or made for an expensive RV. They should have put nothing but top quality into these for what they charge, if I wanted a cheap built RV I would have bought a Keystone.
Old 06-18-2016, 03:31 AM   #9

Send a message via AIM to Shane Wood Send a message via MSN to Shane Wood Send a message via Yahoo to Shane Wood
The 17.5 H and 16 G are the same diameter. Some people have run their E tires for a long time. It depends on the weight of your trailer. Take it to a cat scale and have it weighed and then have the truck weighed by itself. That will tell you if the tires you have on the trailer are rated for the weight. The e rated tires are marginal depending how heavy you are. My Rl is 16000 with a 4200 pinweight. The g,s I have are rated for 3700lbs each. I have 12800 on my tires which leaves me14800 caring capacity on them. I upgraded to H which are good for 4800lbs each. Just for piece of mind. The g,s were probably more than adequate.I have 10000 miles on the g tires and no problems
Old 06-19-2016, 06:38 AM   #10

Ok, it looks like I will take the advice. I will pick up a tire for right now to replace the blown one and put it on my spare rim which is steel and move the Marathon to the alum rim the blow out was on. That way when I call Ron to take advantage of his deal I will just use the one I am buying as the spare. I read that Ron is using a 235/86R16 G as his spare, I assume he used the spare tire steel rim to put it on. I will try to find that size to put on my steel spare rim. If I am messing up, please let me know. I will have to save up to get the new ones from Ron, but looks like that is the best way to go. Thanks to you all, it's great to belong to a wonderful bunch people.

2004 Dodge Ram 3500, Redwood 36RE (Yes size does matter)
Old 06-19-2016, 03:41 PM   #11

Geo9350: You have to do whatever you can to get back home. Make sure you keep the correct air pressure in those Marathons. They are not necessarily bad tires, just marginal for our 5th wheels. I had my dealer upgrade to the Goodyear G114 when I bought this rig, before I went on a trip. However, it's easy for people to spend someone else's money.

Fred
Old 06-21-2016, 03:21 AM   #12

Today we made a fast trip down to Phoenix and I had Discount Tires take the spare tire off the steel rim and put on the blowout rim and then they put a ST235/85R16 G Load Rated Hartland tire on my spare steel rim and that went back up in the rack under the RV to be used for next flat or blowout. I put the Goodyear Marathon tire that was my spare on the RV to match the other junk Marathon tires just to get me home, 200 miles away, hope they hold up that long. I want to thank all for the comments and help. Soon as I can save up I will be getting a hold of Ron and ordering up the good deal he has going. If you still have on the Goodyear Marathon tires and your rig weight is anywhere around 14k I would suggest you get better tires soon because the Marathon tires are right at the weight limit of your RV and they are ready to pop at any min going down the road.
Old 07-01-2016, 01:27 AM   #13

Ok here is the latest, we headed home today with the 4 Marathon Goodyear tires on the RV. I put the G rated tire on the spare rim and it was up under the RV. We got a little over 60 miles on the way home and booooooom there goes another China Bomb, this time on the right side of the RV. So now I have both sides messed up by these terrible tires. I put on the spare and off we went the rest of the way home over 100 miles on the spare. I drove 45 mph all the rest of the way home praying the last 3 China Bombs would last till I got home. Well we made it, after a very long day. So last warning to all that have these junk tires on your RV, get them changed as soon as possible. Now I will have to save to buy good tires. Good luck all.
Old 07-01-2016, 02:00 AM   #14

I would save those blown tires. ,and take plenty of pics... Goodyear is pretty good about paying for replacements and damage caused by thier blowouts...

And then I would call Ron ( Titan Guy ) and get hooked up with some G-614's..OR Better yet , upgrade to the "H" rated 17.5's . . . And don't look back
Ford truck guy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tires

« TV | Sailun Tires? »