Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-01-2016, 03:32 PM   #1

New sewer question

So now we have "the smell." At first we attributed it to the normal start up smell that we get after the coach has been sitting idle in the heat. But this goes beyond that and despite throwing every liquid known to mankind down the toilet, the smell persists. However, the smell does not appear to be coming up from the toilet. The odor is worse in the bedroom and also noticeable outside. So my question is whether this could be the vent issue that has been discussed recently (please, please) or something far more sinister with the black tank, or gray (less sinister).

Vaughan is hoping you'll reassure him that it's just the vent.
Old 08-01-2016, 08:59 PM   #2

Every so often even though we are only using city water the water stinks. It causes the toilet to double stink and sends the smell everywhere. it's also in all the faucets so any place you turn on the water stinks. The toilet is the worst.
I Winterized the system with a diluted bleach mixture let it sit for an hour, change the filter and good to go for another few months.
I didn't think the sulfur water smell was so bad until it sat in the black tank for a while.
Old 08-02-2016, 04:41 AM   #3
Dan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piper Guy's Gal View Post
So now we have "the smell." At first we attributed it to the normal start up smell that we get after the coach has been sitting idle in the heat. But this goes beyond that and despite throwing every liquid known to mankind down the toilet, the smell persists. However, the smell does not appear to be coming up from the toilet. The odor is worse in the bedroom and also noticeable outside. So my question is whether this could be the vent issue that has been discussed recently (please, please) or something far more sinister with the black tank, or gray (less sinister).

Vaughan is hoping you'll reassure him that it's just the vent.
The RL's are known for the washing machine discharge hose under the bed coming apart, it's the big flex hose I would look there first

07 Dodge 3500, Exhaust Brake, Edge Programer, Killer "B" Turbo
13 RL ALL options except Gen and W/D
Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 02:57 PM   #4

Two camping stays ago we got "the smell" in the bathroom. I checked the vent on the roof, it's ok. Opened up the cabinet under sink and WOW! That's where the odor was coming from. I dumped some bleach down the sink & flushed it. Had to repeat 3x but cleared it up. After we dumped I added some water & dishwasher soap to slosh around. Next time out, no problems.
Old 08-04-2016, 03:07 PM   #5

I had a horrible smell in my bathroom, then noticed water around the base of my toilet, I removed the toilet and a lot of smelly water ran out of the Toilet's Plastic Pedestal that the China Bowl sits on. There was a crack allowing it to leak into the Pedestal.
I replaced the Thetford toilet with a Dometic 320 and now no more smell and I have a much better Toilet
17.5 Goodyear G114's, RV Armor Roof
2018 RAM 3500 DRW, Curt Q24 Hitch

rob_fla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 04:34 AM   #6

Anyone know about the p trap alternative under the kitchen sink? Mine is mounted vertically, should it be horizontal?
Traded '13 GMC Denali DRW D/A
Currently rv & truckless
Replacement undetermined
travelin' texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 04:46 AM   #7

The Hepvo valve can be mounted vertically or horizontally. If mounted horizontally the ribs molded on the outside need to be facing downward for it to work properly.

Chris
r time soon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 05:07 AM   #8

Send a message via AIM to Shane Wood Send a message via MSN to Shane Wood Send a message via Yahoo to Shane Wood
Replace the screw on vents under the kitchen sink. And bathroom sink and your problem should go away. The vents that come with your unit do not do their job. You can pick them up at any of the big box stores. Look under your sinks and on the black drain line is a wye connection with a black plastic cap that screws on. Unscrew it and replace the vent
Old 08-07-2016, 04:23 PM   #9

Thanks that's my next step.
Traded '13 GMC Denali DRW D/A
Currently rv & truckless
Replacement undetermined
travelin' texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 11:22 PM   #10
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane Wood View Post
Replace the screw on vents under the kitchen sink. And bathroom sink and your problem should go away. The vents that come with your unit do not do their job. You can pick them up at any of the big box stores. Look under your sinks and on the black drain line is a wye connection with a black plastic cap that screws on. Unscrew it and replace the vent
I agree with Shane but would also add the following.......

Use plumbers putty around the the discharge tube of the washing machine. This will help eliminate odors from escaping that pipe. Also replace the vent cover on your roof. You should use a 360 degree cap which will help draw the odors from the tank regardless of the wind direction. The vent cap that comes on the redwoods will restrict the draw if the wind is coming from the wrong direction or if there's no wind at all.

Good Luck
Old 08-09-2016, 11:58 PM   #11

I found 2 choices for the auto vents at my local Lowes. Probably at most large home improvement stores too. One is pretty inexpensive, the other is 4 times the price. But if it works to eliminate the smell, I would guess it doesn't matter.

Chris
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_5157.JPG (123.6 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5159.JPG (83.9 KB, 8 views)
r time soon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 04:48 PM   #12

I am pleased to report that our "smell" was not sewer-related at all. It was just a little old propane leak.
Old 08-21-2016, 06:04 PM   #13

I'm hearing two smells identified here. Sulphur and sewer. With boats and my Rv, I always completely drain my fresh water and water heater at the end of any trip. If you let it sit and it develops a sulphur odor, cycle a quart or so of hydrogen peroxide along with a few gallons of water through your fresh water system and water heater (NOT HEATED). I have only had the problem once, but that fixed it.
Willbetravlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2016, 04:12 PM   #14

Could this valve be the source of bad smell. Mine is mounted vertically
CTLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2016, 06:08 PM   #15

Quote:
I am pleased to report that our "smell" was not sewer-related at all. It was just a little old propane leak.
Good grief! Glad you got THAT figured out!
atom ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2016, 06:09 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willbetravlin View Post
I'm hearing two smells identified here. Sulphur and sewer. With boats and my Rv, I always completely drain my fresh water and water heater at the end of any trip.
I've always done the same thing and never had that smell. It used to take that Redwood hours to drain. This rig one has a 1-1/2 drain valve and it makes short work of 100 gal!!
atom ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2016, 12:00 AM   #17
Site Team

Quote:

I had a similar issue occur a couple of years ago while returning to Indiana from Washington state. One evening I started to notice a rotten vegetable (specifically rotten lettuce) smell from near the island. I first thought there was something in the garbage container. Then about a minute later the propane detector went into alarm mode. I quickly went out side to check the propane tanks and when I opened the left side tank compartment, I could hear a leak at one of the pigtails. Somehow the propane was finding a path into storage area, then into the living area. Needless to say, I was very thankful for that propane detector.

hoosierguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2016, 12:12 AM   #18
Site Team

I went ahead and replaced all the pigtails, changed the regulator and changeover to Marshall Brass and also ran a new hose between the two tanks.
I feel much better now ......
Old 12-25-2016, 11:07 PM   #19

The 38RL also has one of those vents in the slide closet take the panel out by the washing machine taps all the fittings were left loose on ours and the smell was coming from there
Freedom 55 is offline   Reply With Quote