Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-27-2015, 03:12 PM   #1

New roof ??

Our 2014 38RE is in for its first inspection. Nothing major on our list of repairs but they called us and said we have several cuts in our roof! Said they could patch but recommend a new roof as the patch would only be a band-aid. We knocked off our antenna a few months ago (stupid newbie mistake) so that's the only way we can think of that this happened. Maybe a tree limb? Anybody else had theirs replaced?
2014 Chevy Silverado 3500 Dually Duramax
Dro67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 03:43 PM   #2

I would want to see the cuts myself to see just how bad they are. If they are not real bad and few of them I would use EternaBond tape to patch them. The tape is incredible and I believe it has a 10 year warranty. I wouldn't want to replace the roof unless absolutely necessary due to the fact you really don't know if the tech doing the replacement really knows what he's doing.........could end up with greater problems with a less than quality roof replacement. That's just my opinion. I can tell you that a roof replacement is not an inexpensive repair.
Rick and Mindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 03:52 PM   #3

I second that... favourite story when I had my inspections... just had them fix with tape or adhesive... very minor tears on mine.
Search this site... there are other posts about a far superior product than what RW used but it is expensive... about $6,000(?) to totally replace the roof membrane with a guaranteed for life product that is installed at your location or one of their authorized service centers by a qualified technician from the supplier.
Old 03-27-2015, 04:54 PM   #4

I had a small tear in the top corner of one of my slides. I have used this prduct ( 3M 5200 silicone) to make through hull repairs on my deep sea boat ( New sonic probe and pump suction fttings) you can not believe how strong and resilient this silicone is. I used this to repair the tear in my slide roof. It is there to stay, no more problems. It does tend to run if to much applied and takes a few a days to completly cure.
Joel and Janis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 05:00 PM   #5

There are 2 products for boats in that 3M family... one dries hard and one dries flexible... specific application would need to be reviewed. I have used both on my sailboat... flexible one would be the right call for the RW. I believe the 3M stuff only comes in white or black.
3M 3 oz. Marine Adhesive Sealant-PN5203 - The Home Depot
Old 03-27-2015, 06:05 PM   #6
Site Team

I agree with everyone here. I put a patch on my old tt and it was still there without problems 8 years later. If I did replace my roof I would use the spray on stuff like what john used
Old 03-28-2015, 03:54 AM   #7

If you hit something that knocked your antenna off. The damage should be covered by your insurance.

Mark
Old 03-30-2015, 03:47 AM   #8

we had a tear in our roof that caused a soft spot in the roof our insurance covered it and had the flex armor sprayed on roof installed. The cost is approx $150 per linear foot plus any repairs and the cost of the paint for the trim. It has a lifetime guarantee and the only maintenance you have to do is wash it with mild soap and water. My insurance company recommended it and we are extremely happy with the product.
Old 03-31-2015, 05:56 PM   #9

I agree with getting repaired-vs-replaced. Had a travel trailer that suffered roof damage from tornado. Local dealership replaced the entire roof...the leaks never stopped (even with their so called state-of-art roof leak detector system).
Bob and Debbie (both retired) with Senior FurBabies Grizz (a German Shepherd mix) and Bailey (a Lab mix)...and sometimes a Grandkiddo or 2! Full Time RVers since July 2013 Redwood: 2012 36FL with sliding patio doors
Tow Vehicle: 2011 Chevy Silverado 3500 HD with 6.6 DuraMax Dually
Grizzby is offline   Reply With Quote