Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-14-2018, 03:35 AM   #1

New Redwood Owner

Hi, We are getting ready to purchase our first Fifth Wheel, Redwood 3991RD. We are fairly new to RV-ing. Have had a travel trailer for the last 2 1/2 years. I am doing the walk through of the new unit next week. Is there anything in particular that I need to look for, potential problems or concerns? I appreciate any advice! Thank you!
tinac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 02:25 PM   #2

Just make sure you have enough Truck to haul that beast. If you add much of any options that will be pushing 16K before you put anything into it.
I would make sure you have the Disc Brakes on that unit because of it's size and weight.
2018 Chevy 3500HD Crew Cab High Country DRW, D/A, 2016 RW39MB, Dual ACs, Auto Level, Auto Sat Dish, Stack W/D, King Sleep #, 17.5" Sailuns w/Disc, MORryde IS & Pin, Comfort Ride Hitch, 5.5 Onan, Res Fridge & Induction Cook Top
mhs4771 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 03:24 PM   #3

Try to test every single system and be sure it works. For instance my dishwasher leaked water when the valve was turned on because it had not been tested. The same is true for the ice maker and water dispenser, it leaked when the water was turned on because it had not been tested. I would recommend that you run the washer dryer and air-conditioning, hot water heater, fresh water pump, furnace, vacuum system(be sure filter bag is in place), turn on and scan television channels and check all cabinet latches to be sure the screws did not split the plastic. Check the shower doors, move them and check the threshold and make sure the holes drain back into the shower. Run all appliances, flush all toilets and check behind them for leaks. Check all window screens and be certain the fit and won’t fall out when towing.

Outside operate the level up system, be sure you understand the inverter and refrigerator and what needs to happen when you are towing and using the refrigerator, make sure all plumbing connections and drain valve handles are labeled and make them prove the labels are correct. Check for water behind the sewer connection cap and be sure no valves are leaking. Run the generator if you have one. Operate the cord reel, ask if they can hook up cable tv and ask where the booster switch is. Make them show you how to access the water pump and explain how the two valves beside it work. Learn how to switch propane tanks. Have them verify the solar connection is hooked up to the batteries. Learn where the batteries are and how they charge and what charge is normal. Operate awnings and lights. And learn how to put air in the bladder on the hitch.

If there is any way possible spend the night in it there on the lot or at a minimum go to a campground ASAP and get things fixed while they are interested in you.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
Highcountrybarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 04:02 PM   #4

Thank you for the replies!

Regarding hauling unit: we have a F-350 Superduty flatbed dually so plenty of power. We did some research and took truck to a couple of hitch installers to get advice on how to tow. Since the flatbed truck has a recessed ball we can not safely install a fifth wheel hitch. The dealership is changing out current king pin on unit for a Reese Goosebox 20K with air bladder and we can use the existing ball on the truck. Anyone have this same scenario/experience?

Regarding walk thru: I will print out your list and take with me to the walk thru. As a new RVer, I missed several things on our first unit during walk thru because I was overwhelmed. This RW has A LOT more bells and whistles and I do not want to miss anything. The good news is that the dealership has agreed to keep the unit for us for several weeks after walk thru so hopefully they can address any problems that may arise.

Appreciate any feedback!
tinac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 08:13 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinac View Post
Thank you for the replies!

Regarding hauling unit: we have a F-350 Superduty flatbed dually so plenty of power. We did some research and took truck to a couple of hitch installers to get advice on how to tow. Since the flatbed truck has a recessed ball we can not safely install a fifth wheel hitch. The dealership is changing out current king pin on unit for a Reese Goosebox 20K with air bladder and we can use the existing ball on the truck. Anyone have this same scenario/experience?

Regarding walk thru: I will print out your list and take with me to the walk thru. As a new RVer, I missed several things on our first unit during walk thru because I was overwhelmed. This RW has A LOT more bells and whistles and I do not want to miss anything. The good news is that the dealership has agreed to keep the unit for us for several weeks after walk thru so hopefully they can address any problems that may arise.

Appreciate any feedback!
Many people here have already given the advise, do not complete the paperwork and take delivery before your punch list is 100% corrected.
Most dealers will put you in the front of the line until you sign on the dotted line. They will ask you to bring it back later. Don't do it. You will go to the back of the line once the paperwork is completed.....
Old 06-23-2018, 05:15 PM   #6

Take good notes. We found the walk through to be a lot to absorb and we had been in an older Jayco 5th wheel for many years prior to our 38GK and there are many changes and improvements (?) in the new ones.
R38Special is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 09:43 PM   #7

If you have an iPad or phone, video the walk thru, if you're like us you'll miss some of it & forget what they said about the rest.
Traded '13 GMC Denali DRW D/A
Currently rv & truckless
Replacement undetermined
travelin' texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 01:15 PM   #8

Ask the factory if the "Goose Box" will void the frame warranty, if so then look a an "Anderson Ultimate Hitch"....I love mine.
Old 06-24-2018, 09:48 PM   #9

There is some very good advice posted here. We let the dealer do a quick walk thru with us on a 2018 3991RD. The RV was not hooked up to water and all the user manuals were “in the office.” The person conducting the walk thru did okay explaining the set-up but so much was missed. The washer/dryer combo leaked due to extremely poor dealer installation. Water leaks under the sink, dead wire to the DVD player, cable hook-up does not work, window screens will not stay up, bedroom door does not latch, bathroom door does not lock, vacuum hose was disconnected under the steps, termination valve leaks, opened sleeper sofas do not fit in allotted floor space. Take your time and save yourself the aggravation later!
LeWaDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 01:18 AM   #10

We bought a new 3991rd in April ... I agree with everything said prior .. I would try and spend a night or two on their lot before you leave .. No matter how good the the pre delivery , you will find things by living in it !!!!
Cheers and congrats!!!
Brad
brad chilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2018, 04:42 AM   #11

We have a 2018 Redwood 3991RD and we upgraded our Dodge Ram diesel 3500 crew cab with a Dodge Ram 3500 dually. Let me just say check everything. Check the awning. Make sure it’s installed correctly. Ours wasn’t and needs to be repaired. Check all the paneling and trim. Check all water fixtures. My husband had to go around and fix them. Check the commode. Check all the lights. Go over the outside full body paint. If you see any paint chipped take a picture. Take pictures of anything that may be wrong. It saves a lot of headaches. Check your theatre seats too. We had quite a few issues and it’s taking a while to get everything repaired but the technician that came out from the dealership found things we didn’t see and he’s making sure they are going to get repaired. We even called the manufacturer about some concerns. We owned several TT and 5th wheels and thought the Redwood would be a great full time RV. We are just hoping everything gets repaired before we leave PA in October. We still want to take it for a test trip but just need to wait till repairs are finished. I can only say check and double check everything. Happy journeys!
Cmjacobsusmce8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 02:17 AM   #12

as stated before you sign any paperwork have the dealer sales and service dept show you how everthing works. I would expect this to take 2hrs + and do a compleat set up with them. Have a check list and gover over fit , finish , functioning of every single piece of the unit. If something is wrong note it and keep going thru your check out. Even if its a light not working DO NOT be in a rush to sign anything. If you sign your name your going to accept the fact that your waiting in line at the service dept for them to do your repairs and possible waiting on factory to OK repairs. You would be amazed how easy it is to get the dealer to do the right thing before they get your money...….. truck wise as stated I own a 2016 GMC diesel 3500 single rear wheel truck , it has enough power but not enough rear payload compacity. My tires where 400+lbs over weight and air bags with good aftermarket shocks are a must in my eyes. as for the tires I upgreaded to 19.5 wheels and commercial truck tires rated at 4950 lbs each well over the stock 3520lb rated tires , is it ok in the laws eyes.....NO bottom line watch what you carry and your barely ok . I am still under the 25400 may combine rating of the truck, trailer combine weight. stay safe and good luck with your point to point inspections . Enjoy it!