Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-28-2013, 06:51 PM   #1

Ram Shoots Themselves In The Foot With New 2013 2500/3500
Trucks

I was going to buy a new 2013 Ram 3500 Lamarie Longhorn truck today but there a small problem. It
won’t hook up to our Redwood fifth wheel until maybe late summer or even fall.
It looks like Ram messed up big time by keeping the hitch manufactures in the
dark until the truck hit the streets (at least that's what they told me on the phone today).

I’ve had two new F250 Super Duty Diesels, and I like my
current ’11 a lot. That said, after taking a test drive in the new 2013 Ram
3500, I’d say this new Ram truck is a game changer. In just the first few blocks
driving over a bad road, I could tell how much tighter this truck is than my
Ford. I felt the ride was better and sensed less flex over bad surfaces for
sure.The new interior of the Laramie is a big step up from my loaded Lariat. Take a
seat in a Laramie or Longhorn and take a drive and you too might think about trading your Ford in as I
did–except wait, you can’t pull a fifth wheel for a while! Tent and sleeping bags anyone!
Other than that towing thing the only other negative I can see are
the darn Ram mirrors. Fords foldable and extendable mirrors can’t be beat in my
experience but Ford must have an exclusive. The Ram’s stop light mounted rear view camera for seeing the 5<sup>th</sup>
wheel kind of balances that out though.

Well, I was going to take delivery of our new, loaded 3500
Longhorn in early June until I did some my homework about getting hooked up. The
sales guys didn’t know, but they advised me to speak with the trailer guy in parts who
advised me about a three week wait time. Turns out according to PullRite and Reese, three
to four weeks is just for the 2500. The 3500 rail mounts have not even entered testing yet, so
August or September would be a good bet. There’s going to be a lot of trucks
out there not able to pull a trailer!

Anyway, I guess I’ll wait to fall to take delivery until fall and then I’ll
report back after a month of towing our Redwood over hill and dale. Should be
interesting. </span>It’s way cool that Ford and
GM are coming with new trucks too, so maybe they’ll one up Ram. Competition is good! </span>I find myself no longer being as brand loyal as I used to be. I
just want the best truck my money can buy and I want it now.

Edited by: Bill36re
Old 05-28-2013, 07:21 PM   #2
Site Team

With Ford offering a factory 5th wheel You'd think Dodge would have came to the game with more planing
Old 05-28-2013, 07:26 PM   #3

It sounds to me like you've definitely made up your mind. You're even going to wait patiently.<div id="LCS_C4CFC0DE_134F_4466_B2A2_FF7C59A8BFAD_commu nicati&#111;nDiv">

I was a Dodge pick-up truck guy until '06 when I purchased a Ford F-550 6.0 diesel. Also, a 2011 F-250 with a 6.7 diesel. My last Dodge was an '04. I really liked Dodge except for the 4x4 front end. Always replacing tie rods, drag links, ball joints. Had two '01's with the same. Transmissions were an issue, also. Always buy brand new.

Now that Dodge trucks have transformed themselves to RAM trucks I hope that they have made changes in their front ends and transmissions.

Coincidently, my wife and I were just talking about checking out a Ram. Love the Cummins motor.

Dave from Maine

Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 07:34 PM   #4

Don't drive one or you'll likely buy one! Heck, just sitting in the darn thing almost got me to getting my checkbook out. Same thing happened to me when I drove the new at the time '11 Ford F250 compared to my '09.
Edited by: Bill36re
Old 06-03-2013, 09:03 PM   #5

I was a GM guy until I owned my first dodge. I'm now on my 3rd, a 2008 3500 DRW with the .7. Love it. The wife even loves how it rides. While ours is running with no issues, we can't wait to be able to afford the next one, in a few years.
Old 06-04-2013, 09:55 PM   #6

I have been happy with the overall performance of my 2012 Ram 3500HD Longhorn, but not sure I would go this route again. I find the Duramax on the Silverado to be more my style. Will hold my final thoughts until I have the chance to drive a new Ram 3500HD.

Old 06-05-2013, 12:26 AM   #7
Dan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enroute
I have been happy with the overall performance of my 2012 Ram 3500HD Longhorn, but not sure I would go this route again. I find the Duramax on the Silverado to be more my style. Will hold my final thoughts until I have the chance to drive a new Ram 3500HD.

I tried out the new 2013, huge hugedifferenceits closer to a 4500\5500 everything is totally upgraded and a big price. I fell in love with this new truck!!! finallyDodge has stepped up to the plate with more than just the mighty "C" under the hood

Dan

07 Dodge 3500, Exhaust Brake, Edge Programer, Killer "B" Turbo
13 RL ALL options except Gen and W/D
Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 01:07 AM   #8

Someone finally mentioned a GMC product, I have a 2010 Duramax 6.0 4x4 Crewcab SLT, world of difference between the 2010 & 2006. The 2010 seems to be better overall. I did not want the EXTRA fuel additive. I have a weights & measure Texas State LT across the street, he says my RIG is good for the weight, of truck and 5'er.
Got to get SETUP weighted this next week. I pulled 5 'er to Eisenhower State park , 80 miles, small I know but it was an easy pull except for SHERMAN to DENNISON stretch of 75, that was rough. My hat is off to you who are pulling a bigger RIG, this thing is a MONSTER, THE CONSTANT 13'6" is also a worry.
Herb
Old 06-05-2013, 08:01 AM   #9

we traded our 2012 king ranch f350 for a 2012 ram 3500 drw both have the 6.7 both pulled my 40kb great but the ram rides better drives better looks better, first dodge I have ever had and I love it
Old 06-05-2013, 08:38 AM   #10
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by RifRaff
Someone finally mentioned a GMC product, I have a 2010 Duramax 6.0 4x4 Crewcab SLT, world of difference between the 2010 &amp; 2006. The 2010 seems to be better overall. I did not want the EXTRA fuel additive. I have a weights &amp; measure Texas State LT across the street, he says my RIG is good for the weight, of truck and 5'er.
Got to get SETUP weighted this next week. I pulled 5 'er to Eisenhower State park , 80 miles, small I know but it was an easy pull except for SHERMAN to DENNISON stretch of 75, that was rough. My hat is off to you who are pulling a bigger RIG, this thing is a MONSTER, THE CONSTANT 13'6" is also a worry.
Herb
Don't worry about it HERB. The more you pull it the easier it gets. Hit the road and enjoy! Just keep your wits about you until you get used to it.
Old 06-05-2013, 10:38 AM   #11
Site Team

FWIW, Dodge cured the Trans problem in late 010-early 011. They are now using the Aisin transmission (same one Isuzu has used for years in the cab forward utility trucks) This is basically a Japanes built very similar to the Allison. If many thousands of Landscapers and Towing contractors haven't killed it, it should hold up well. So far, many are in service with EMS fleets in Ambulances and I'm not hearing any issues . That's about the toughest service there is.

Guess I'm gonna have to go drive a 2013 Dodge DRW .....................
Old 06-05-2013, 10:46 AM   #12

Good looking trucks! Looked at them myself, but had no idea about the hitch thing. I was drawn to the sexy look ever since they changed the front, but they are no longer the cheaper alternative.
atom ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 10:20 PM   #13
Dan

Quote:
Originally Posted by atom ant
Good looking trucks! Looked at them myself, but had no idea about the hitch thing. I was drawn to the sexy look ever since they changed the front, but they are no longer the cheaper alternative.

Yup love the look of the new truck but they want $10,000 more than the other two. Was looking at trading my 07 in for an 14 but price is a concern, all three are producing great dependable trucks now so its a toss up.

Dan

07 Dodge 3500, Exhaust Brake, Edge Programer, Killer "B" Turbo
13 RL ALL options except Gen and W/D
Dan is offline   Reply With Quote