Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-05-2014, 11:15 AM   #1

Need some help with the furnace

Hello folks:

We are on our way south (but still in the cold north in Indiana!). The furnace stopped running yesterday, the thermostat calls for heat (and it works on A/C), I hear a click indicating that a signal is going to the furnace but the furnace fan doesn't come on to start the ignition sequence. Propane is OK and no 12V fuses in the fuse panel are blown (no red lights).

Before I hit an RV repair place is there any reset that can be done by opening up the furnace from the outside?
Old 11-05-2014, 12:51 PM   #2
TnB

Just in case you have air in your propane line, try your gas stove or gas water heater, to see if they work.
TnB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 01:09 PM   #3

good point - test to see if other propane devices function...
johnboytoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 01:12 PM   #4
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by almcc View Post
Hello folks:

We are on our way south (but still in the cold north in Indiana!). The furnace stopped running yesterday, the thermostat calls for heat (and it works on A/C), I hear a click indicating that a signal is going to the furnace but the furnace fan doesn't come on to start the ignition sequence. Propane is OK and no 12V fuses in the fuse panel are blown (no red lights).

Before I hit an RV repair place is there any reset that can be done by opening up the furnace from the outside?

If the air is not completely out of the LP gas lines, when the furnace tries to start ignition, it will try 3 times. If no ignition, the control will shut down the furnace. You would then have to set the switch on your thermostat to OFF, then back ON. Before turning the thermostat ON, check your stove burners and ensure they are burning correctly. Also, check that the water heater burner will ignite.

I recently had a leak at the red single stage regulator on the passenger side tank and I could not get the stove burners to burn correctly or hot water heater to ignite. I had to replace single stage regulator. I have also had to replace both leaking pigtails in the past year.

hoosierguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 02:00 PM   #5

You can also have moisture condensation in the line and the line can freeze.
JohnEileen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 06:53 PM   #6

Thanks for the suggestions folks!

I tried your suggestions without success, but I lucked out, I called an outfit called Marks mobile RV repair near Columbus Indiana after we pulled into a campsite in Columbus, they arrived in less than an hour.

Turns out the circuit board was toast, the furnace is back running again with a new board. I watched the re and re, the board is mounted to a bracket that screws onto the main fan, getting it out isn't obvious. Just in case I need to do it again!
Old 11-14-2014, 02:15 AM   #7

We are encountering this same thing tonight. We believe it is the circuit board but considering it is 8 pm and 26 degrees we need to finish inspecting in the morning. What furnace do you have? Ours is Suburban SF-42
Old 11-14-2014, 02:26 AM   #8

Our furnace is the same model as yours. Based on our experience it probably is a bad board.
Old 11-05-2021, 06:50 PM   #9

Furnace Motor Issue

Here it is getting chilly in CA, high 40s & 50s at night, testing out the furnace this week. The fan/motor is making a loud squaking sound. Out regular RV repair guy is extremely busy so we ve waited a week for him to assist us. He has indicated the motor appears to have gotten wet showing rust.
Any ideas?

We ve been lucky, living in our 5th wheel since 2014 has taught us alot. Now as we reach the tender age of 70+ it becomes more challenging.
gayboyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2021, 11:40 PM   #10

Our water heater board did the same. Seems to be very common. Dinosaur makes quality replacements which I believe is the same board as the furnace. At least theres electric backup for the water heater.
drj564 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2021, 09:26 PM   #11
Site Team

Changing out the furnace motor is not a particularly hard job. Take a look at a few YouTube videos It’s about an hour or so.