Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-06-2014, 02:52 AM   #1

Mystery solved! Inverter-converter-residential refer

I finally solved my confusion regarding the wiring of the inverter/converter, residential refer and entertainment circuit.

First of all I have a Magnum MMS1012, hard wired, combination inverter-converter. The unit has a built in transfer switch. Ac is supplied via a single 15a circuit. The inverter provides 110vac from the batteries in the absence of shore/generator power.

The confusion I had was that the same 15a circuit breaker also provided current to the entertainment circuit in the main slide.

If you check out the attached photo, the ac input side of the Magnum has 2 lines of romex. One is the 15a breaker side from the panel, the other is the feed to the entertainment center. Both are tied together on the input side of the inverter, thus in effect, eliminating the inverter/converter it is entirety for the entertainment circuit.

When shore/generator power is available, the transfer switch in the inverter sends ac power to the refer output. If the transfer switch sees no shore/generator power it then it uses the batteries to power the refer.

Since the Magnum MMS series is a combination inverter/charger the house batteries are charged only when ac is present via shore/generator power. Thus, switching off the 15a breaker eliminates the battery charger and the entertainment slide. The inverter is still available to power the refer's dedicated plug.

Ken
Attached Images
File Type: jpg inverter-converter.jpg (179.8 KB, 9 views)
brenkco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 02:55 AM   #2
Traveling

Holy cow! I am going to get that translated into English and then I am going to go look at mine. It would be awesome to have the inverter power the entertainment system too so I didn't lose all the inputting of usernames and passwords!!! I wonder if that is possible??
TNTBaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 03:04 AM   #3

Yes, it is. I have ordered a double pole, double throw switch to accomplish that goal. That's what I did on my Montana. When boon docking, I had constant power to the entertainment center by running it on the inverter at all times.

I use a Dish tailgater. Switching from generator to inverter causes the software in the tailgater to reset, seek the satellites and download the guide again, a process that takes 20-30 minutes. During football playoffs this just didn't work for me, thus we (friends much smarter than me) came up with the solution of using a DPDT switch.

Let me know and I can send you the wiring diagram.

Ken
brenkco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 03:28 AM   #4
Traveling

Wow, that's exciting! I would love to try and attempt this. Not sure we are up to it tho... By we I mean TODD! :-) I will talk to him about it. I would love this since I am the one who has to "recover" from the power being disconnected. I can handle reprogramming the coffee pot and a few other things, micro clock and all that... but those darn online accounts drive me CRAZY!!
Old 07-06-2014, 04:09 AM   #5
lwg

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNTBaker View Post
Holy cow! I am going to get that translated into English and then I am going to go look at mine. It would be awesome to have the inverter power the entertainment system too so I didn't lose all the inputting of usernames and passwords!!! I wonder if that is possible??
Do you have a different Blu-Ray player than mine? I have the LG and never have to re-input usernames or passwords after moving the RV and disconnecting from power.
Old 07-06-2014, 04:42 AM   #6
Traveling

I don't know if it's different. I thought I heard someone say that their blu-ray had FM stereo. I don't have that! At least I don't think I do... I tried to find it, but no luck. Sometimes it saves my info, and sometimes it doesn't. We haven't tried it too many times yet, so maybe I am mistaken?
Old 07-06-2014, 06:28 PM   #7
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNTBaker View Post
I don't know if it's different. I thought I heard someone say that their blu-ray had FM stereo. I don't have that! At least I don't think I do... I tried to find it, but no luck. Sometimes it saves my info, and sometimes it doesn't. We haven't tried it too many times yet, so maybe I am mistaken?
Maybe it's time to read the manual for the LG player that is in that 3 ring binder that has all the manuals in it.

The LG player in our 2012 36RL indicates that the player has AM/FM tuner capability, but I have never used it because I would have to install an antenna. So, if I want music, I just tune the Dish receiver into one of the music channels.

hoosierguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 06:53 PM   #8
Traveling

I didn't get a manual. I just checked again. I got a warranty card tho. Maybe I can find it online... I'll give that a try. GOOD NEWS THO: I was able to configure my soundbar via bluetooth to access my music on both my phone and my computer WOOOO HOOOOO!
Old 07-06-2014, 07:40 PM   #9

agree - even though I have all the manuals, I prefer downloaded soft manuals myself !
johnboytoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 10:40 PM   #10

Mine has the fm radio but no sound bar. It's got the little speakers on the ceiling. And yes I didn't get my antenna for it and it wasn't in the bag o manuals either. Oh well. Guess radio shack will have it and get some tunes rolling
David and Beth with our sidekick red heeler Queso the "big cheese". 2016 38GK with double unagaurd awnings with led lights and trailair air tri-glide pin box 8K axles with Linc System. 2012 Ram 3500 4x4 crew cab Laramie LWB Edge Juice with attitude with B&W 20k companion hitch.
DLRAKOWITZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 02:22 AM   #11
Traveling

I will use the "I <heart> radio" app. Since I can now use my computer as a jukebox (I also use Pandora a lot) I am a HAPPY GIRL!