Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-06-2018, 05:05 PM   #1

MyRV touch pads not working

None of my touch pads in RV working. After close lightning strike pads quit working. Checked fuses on mother board in belly of rv and 25 amp fuse was blown which I replaced. Touch pad in living room was warm to touch and would not come on. Other two touch pads in coach will come on but will not work. Replaced circuit board in living room, lights up but will not work. Unable to find a repair person in area to come out and not able to take rv to shop as I'm using it for work. Any suggestions.
Marty G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 10:21 PM   #2

It may not of helped a lightening strike close by, or directly, but if you don't have a surge protector/ems then I'd HIGHLY recommend doing so, either portable or hardwired, it will save you from the same issues from bad park pedestals. The Progressive Industries 50 amp unit is a very good unit with great customer service. We have the portable which has worked great due to trading 5ers 3 times so didn't have to rewire each unit to remove or install.
Traded '13 GMC Denali DRW D/A
Currently rv & truckless
Replacement undetermined
travelin' texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 12:17 PM   #3

Thanks for the reply. Just purchased a surge protector yesterday. Did find someone to come out and check it out. Hopefully they will be able to take car of it.
Old 12-15-2018, 04:31 PM   #4

That happened to me awhile back. Turns out ONE of the pads was bad.. Have you tried removing one pad at a time?
gford10480 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2018, 01:00 PM   #5

Yes, replaced one pad in trailer that did not work. Found a RV repair who works on lippert about 60 miles away. Tech came out, spent 6.5 hrs trouble shooting system. Per technician control modules are not working. These modules are located behind the storage area in belly of fifth wheel. Very difficult to access and work on. Parts on order, hopefully this is the problem. Thanks for your reply.
Old 12-16-2018, 02:39 PM   #6

The more I read about these new fangled pads, remotes or in command systems I'm very glad we have the old fashioned switches & buttons to operate everything, there's enough stuff on rvs to keep maintained without having to haul around your own "IT" guy.
I'm sure when they work they are fantastic, but reading on here & on a couple other forums there's a lot of them that don't work & then there's no way to operate the items it's designed to control.
Currently rv & truckless
Replacement undetermined
Old 12-17-2018, 02:08 AM   #7

Ditto Danny's comments. Salesman tried to talk us into it when we ordered our '16, but we held fast and said "No Thanks" and glad we did.
2018 Chevy 3500HD Crew Cab High Country DRW, D/A, 2016 RW39MB, Dual ACs, Auto Level, Auto Sat Dish, Stack W/D, King Sleep #, 17.5" Sailuns w/Disc, MORryde IS & Pin, Comfort Ride Hitch, 5.5 Onan, Res Fridge & Induction Cook Top
mhs4771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2018, 03:20 AM   #8

My smart phone is already smarter then me, don't need my RV to also be smarter.. I'll take my switches...
Ford truck guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2018, 06:55 PM   #9
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin' texans View Post
The more I read about these new fangled pads, remotes or in command systems I'm very glad we have the old fashioned switches & buttons to operate everything, there's enough stuff on rvs to keep maintained without having to haul around your own "IT" guy.
I'm sure when they work they are fantastic, but reading on here & on a couple other forums there's a lot of them that don't work & then there's no way to operate the items it's designed to control.
Danny,

As a retired Electrical / Electronics Engineer, I agree with you 1000%. If a switch goes bad, its a $5.00 repair. If the electronic I-Pad or controller goes bad, its a $300.00 to $500.00 repair.

Guy

hoosierguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2018, 07:23 PM   #10

I recall the 2013 rally factory tour they had a new unit setup outside with the latest greatest goodies, one being the touch pad to operate everything, no switches at all & everyone I talked to or over heard talking about it thought was a cool high tech idea, but no one wanted it in their RW. I told Tom Montague while touring through that unit that it was very techie, but didn't want it mine.
Sorry, didn't mean to highjack the OP question, hopefully someone can help them out.
Currently rv & truckless
Replacement undetermined
Old 12-19-2018, 01:23 AM   #11

If you think the future is in switch's I don't think so. If anything it is going to get even more techie. My InCommand has worked flawlessly and I love using the phone to check or do whatever I need to.
afmillerdpd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2018, 03:39 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by afmillerdpd View Post
If you think the future is in switch's I don't think so. If anything it is going to get even more techie. My InCommand has worked flawlessly and I love using the phone to check or do whatever I need to.
Completely agree. It's awesome running everything from my phone.