Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-06-2013, 12:54 AM   #1

<div style=": rgb255, 255, 255; margin-left: 2px; margin-top: 2px; margin-right: 2px; margin-bottom: 2px; font-family: Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; color: rgb0, 0, 0; font-weight: normal; font-size: 12px; line-height: 1.4; border-top-width: 0px; border-right-width: 0px; border-bottom-width: 0px; border-left-width: 0px; border-style: initial; border-color: initial; -: n&#111;ne; ">Has anyone done this yet and if so how did the install go. About how long did it take them? We are full timing in ours and looking to at having ours swapped out to the MorRyde IS in Aug. and don’t want alot of down time. And now that you have had it done are you happy with it? I talked to MorRyde and they said that they can reuse my disk brakes and wheels and tires if I want. Or should I upgrade to the bigger 17.5 wheels and tires?
Thanks

Full Timers in our 2013 36FL with MoRryde 8000# IS suspension. Pulled by 2012 Sport Chassis with Hensley Trailer Saver Hitch.
UNDRPSI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 10:18 AM   #2

Wow that is a big upgrade for a relatively new rig. It the current ride below satisfactory?
atom ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 07:52 PM   #3

Send a message via Yahoo to RollsRoyce
They are just trying to keep up with the Joneses HE HE He
RW36FB
RollsRoyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 08:12 PM   #4

Chuck wants Mor...
Mike & Pam '12 36RL, Kodiak Discs, 17.5" G114s H-Rated, SRE4000 w/HD Shackles, Joy Rider Shocks, Flex Air, 5.5 Onan, W&D, DW, 4 Scare Lights, (2) 6V Trojan T-145s; Progressive EMS-HW50C, Winegard DTV Sat, Sony/Denon 4K Home Theater, WiFiRanger EliteAC Pack, weBoost 4G-X Cell Booster.

2022 RAM 3500 Limited CC, LB, 4x4, DRW, Max Tow, Cummins HO, AISIN, 4.10, Mopar 30K w/OEM Prep, Transfer Flow 70gal Aux Tank/Toolbox.
5th_Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 10:13 PM   #5

I tried to get them to do it when we ordered it but they wouldn’t. They said it should ride fine. Fine is good but I want MORE! Just like the commercial.
No, I just would like to have a better ride inside. Most of the roads are good but all the bridges stink. I have had several enclosed trailers with a Rubber ride axle's and you cant even compare the differences between the 2. Now you add in the difference of the solid axels to independent and again no comparison. Not to mention wear on spring hanger, spring bushings, Equalizers, or broken springs because of the roads we travel with our coaches at or very near max GVW. I know its going to add alittle more overall weight but I think its going to be well worth it in the long run down the road. Besides I want more, more is better..

Full Timers in our 2013 36FL with MoRryde 8000# IS suspension. Pulled by 2012 Sport Chassis with Hensley Trailer Saver Hitch.
Old 05-06-2013, 10:32 PM   #6

I know you aren't trying to be, but your funny!
SW1117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 11:11 PM   #7

OK
Old 05-07-2013, 02:09 AM   #8
Site Team

Chuck, you're not the first one to bring this up on the forum but I don't think anybody has done it yet. When you upgrade it's my understanding that you can also increase your carrying capacity. This might void your frame warranty but I wouldn't be too worried about that because so far there hasn't been any frame issues that I'm aware of with the Redwoods.

Let me know how it turns out for you
Old 05-07-2013, 08:58 AM   #9

Move cautiously regarding any modifications that would increase carrying capacity above rated. Although there may have been no Redwood frame failures, there certainly have been Lippert frame failures associated with other manufacturers. RW simply doesn't have the numbers off the production line as of yet.

On the other hand, I think you would be hard pressed to exceed the existing carrying capacity so the risk is minimal IMHO and the reward just might be there.
Oh...I forgot the five kids.
spindrift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 09:50 AM   #10

OK, I have to disagree a little here. It's very easy to exceed the gross, especially when you consider these are coming from the Factory a 1000 plus over the brochure spec. Because we live in our RW approx 9 months of the year (yea I know, still trying to convince the other half we need to sell the house) we're loaded heavy with 4K on the pin and 13K on the axles, so yes we're slightly over the 16.5K gross. We've already put on the 17.5 wheel and H rated tires, and have our appointment with Mor/ryde next Wednesday. And yes I know it will void the Lippert frame warranty, but I think the improvement in ride quality will put much less stress on the frame, so I'm not too worried.
2018 Chevy 3500HD Crew Cab High Country DRW, D/A, 2016 RW39MB, Dual ACs, Auto Level, Auto Sat Dish, Stack W/D, King Sleep #, 17.5" Sailuns w/Disc, MORryde IS & Pin, Comfort Ride Hitch, 5.5 Onan, Res Fridge & Induction Cook Top
mhs4771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 10:19 AM   #11
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhs4771

OK, I have to disagree a little here. It's very easy to exceed the gross, especially when you consider these are coming from the Factory a 1000 plus over the brochure spec. Because we live in our RW approx 9 months of the year (yea I know, still trying to convince the other half we need to sell the house) we're loaded heavy with 4K on the pin and 13K on the axles, so yes we're slightly over the 16.5K gross. We've already put on the 17.5 wheel and H rated tires, and have our appointment with Mor/ryde next Wednesday. And yes I know it will void the Lippert frame warranty, but I think the improvement in ride quality will put much less stress on the frame, so I'm not too worried.
Lets us all know how this works out for you
Old 05-07-2013, 12:59 PM   #12

What me and the wife plan on doing is staying a month at each place we go, only traveling 400 miles a day then moving to the next place we want to see. If we go 3 to 400 miles a day and camp for a month that's 4800 miles a year on the Redwood. That's not enough miles to spend the money for a upgrade. If we were going to be on the move non stop I would have probable bought a motorhome, it would hold up better under the bad roads. We want to take our time and see everything there is in the area before moving on.
Old 05-07-2013, 10:44 PM   #13

You guy’s are right. I could put the 8000# axles under our coach, and probably will. We all also could of had the 8000# axles option when we ordered it. And I bet it wouldn’t have changed (increased) our GVW of our coaches. Mines is 18,000#. The only thing the 8000# axles do is give you a peace of mind when your fully loaded close to your factory GVW, which we all are or do. And if you asked about the 8000# axles when you ordered it they say it will probably rattle the coach apart and almost advise you against getting them. Leaf spring ride hard, firm or bad how ever you want to say it by natures. Iam very familiar with suspension and understand what makes them tick. Ask yourselves this. Why do you add air bags to the back of our trucks or to the 5th wheel pin? Are the factory leaf spring on our trucks not good enough to carry the load or do we just want a better ride, and all the other benefits that go along with them. If I can get a better suspension at a added cost to me to make our coach ride better while going down the road the benefits are going to be worth it for years to come. As for the frame warranty if my frame was going to break with the factory spring I think with this suspension it would take longer to do the same and they would have to prove that the new suspension was the direct cause of the break. Isn’t that correct?
Just wish they would offered the MORryde IS when you order your coach. Just my opinion.

Old 05-08-2013, 12:06 AM   #14
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNDRPSI
You guy’s are right. I could put the 8000# axles under our coach, and probably will. We all also could of had the 8000# axles option when we ordered it. And I bet it wouldn’t have changed (increased) our GVW of our coaches. Mines is 18,000#. The only thing the 8000# axles do is give you a peace of mind when your fully loaded close to your factory GVW, which we all are or do. And if you asked about the 8000# axles when you ordered it they say it will probably rattle the coach apart and almost advise you against getting them. Leaf spring ride hard, firm or bad how ever you want to say it by natures. Iam very familiar with suspension and understand what makes them tick. Ask yourselves this. Why do you add air bags to the back of our trucks or to the 5th wheel pin? Are the factory leaf spring on our trucks not good enough to carry the load or do we just want a better ride, and all the other benefits that go along with them. If I can get a better suspension at a added cost to me to make our coach ride better while going down the road the benefits are going to be worth it for years to come. As for the frame warranty if my frame was going to break with the factory spring I think with this suspension it would take longer to do the same and they would have to prove that the new suspension was the direct cause of the break. Isn’t that correct?
Just wish they would offered the MORryde IS when you order your coach. Just my opinion.

you can also put air ride on the coach from kilderman. It'll cost about $2800.
Old 05-08-2013, 12:29 AM   #15

My 8k axle option changed the GVWR.

Yours could not have a GVWR of 18000 unless you already have 8k axles. You must have meant 16000.Edited by: atom ant
Old 05-08-2013, 12:24 PM   #16

What 17.5" tires did you end up getting? and where if you dont mind telling.
AE New Holland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 04:08 PM   #17

Andy, not sure if you were asking me or not. But I ordered the Goodyear 17.5" G114 "H" rated tires mounted and balance on HiSpec Aluminum Wheels from Trailer Tires and Wheels out of Ohio. Just put 1200 miles on them crossing Florida, then heading North to South Central Ohio. Well be at Mor/ryde next Wednesday and Thrusday for the IS install. Normal trailer spring suspension gives between 2 1/2 to 3 inches total travel, while the Mor/ryde IS gives 5 plus inches of travel so it can absorb bumps better and not transfer the shock to the RV's frame. Before we did the upgrade on our Montana, I asked on the Montana forum to get opinions from those that had done it, every answer was that they would do it again, no question. And many others were thinking about it, just trying to come up with the cash. We put approx 10K miles on our unit per year, so I feel it's a very worth while investment.
2018 Chevy 3500HD Crew Cab High Country DRW, D/A, 2016 RW39MB, Dual ACs, Auto Level, Auto Sat Dish, Stack W/D, King Sleep #, 17.5" Sailuns w/Disc, MORryde IS & Pin, Comfort Ride Hitch, 5.5 Onan, Res Fridge & Induction Cook Top
mhs4771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 09:23 PM   #18

Atom ant your are correct. 160000# GVW on our coach 36FL. Which kinda stinks that means that I can only carry 2214 lbs of stuff. Going to have to weight our's sometime. I know we still have plenty of storage space left so I cant be to overloaded. i hope. But still think Im going to go with the 8000# axle upgrade for peace of mind. Although when I used to add a tag axel and rework the semi's frames I filled out a new GVW sticker that raised their GVW. But like I say I’m really not interested in raising my GVW, bonus if it does but that will be a question that I will ask friday when I call them.

Old 05-08-2013, 09:39 PM   #19

With the 8K axles, the factory gave me 16,500 lb GVWR, of course limited by the G614 tires. If Redwood would offer the 17.5 G114's at the factory, we could get the full 18,000 lbs on the sticker. I'm sure they will in the near future, but like you said, I would have opted for 10K axles if they offered them just for piece of mind.
Old 05-08-2013, 10:03 PM   #20

I planned on changing out the axles to the MORryde from the time we found out it wasnt a option when ordering. I agree about the wheels and tires I asked about them too but have to do this one at a time. Maybe next year on them. The G14’s and disk brakes will be swapped out to the new axels for now.