Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-02-2013, 03:38 AM   #1

Has anyone been through this tunnel in there Redwood, just wondering if it's okay with the height and carrying propane? I'm 3.5 hours from my house to Gulf Shores, Alabama and haven't been pulling the RV.
Old 07-02-2013, 08:11 AM   #2
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddy
Has anyone been through this tunnel in there Redwood, just wondering if it's okay with the height and carrying propane? I'm 3.5 hours from my house to Gulf Shores, Alabama and haven't been pulling the RV.
Yes I've been through that tunnel without a problem. As long as the tunnel has a height of 13.6 you will be ok. Don't worry about the propane because you don't carry enough to be considered hazardous. If you were you'd have to be placard like the big trucks.
Old 07-02-2013, 08:33 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave&Ginny
Quote:
Yes I've been through that tunnel without a problem.Â* As long as the tunnel has a height of 13.6 you will be ok.Â* Don't worry about the propane because you don't carry enough to be considered hazardous.Â* If you were you'd have to be placard like the big trucks.
I started to send it to you, knowing you have traveled this route. lol
Thanks again Dave
Old 07-02-2013, 10:17 AM   #4

Don't know if its like this elsewhere in the country but if you get caught going through any of the tunnels in the Northeast, they'll take your truck and camper, throw away the keys and put you in solitary where even The Big Guy won't know where you are.
Oh...I forgot the five kids.
spindrift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 10:23 AM   #5

I actually don't think they require the LP off in the Colorado tunnels, at least it is not posted. Haz Mat trucks can't go through the Eisenhower and Johnson tunnels, but I've never been asked to shut off LP.
atom ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 10:32 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by spindrift
Don't know if its like this elsewhere in the country but if you get caught going through any of the tunnels in the Northeast, they'll take your truck and camper, throw away the keys and put you in solitary where even The Big Guy won't know where you are.
I knew there was a reason I've never been to the Northeast.
Old 07-02-2013, 10:33 AM   #7
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by atom ant
I actually don't think they require the LP off in the Colorado tunnels, at least it is not posted. Haz Mat trucks can't go through the Eisenhower and Johnson tunnels, but I've never been asked to shut off LP.
I agree...as much as I've traveled I've never seen anything posted about RVs in regards to tunnels. Each car carries more explosive power with a tank of gas than we do with our small LP tanks. Besides I carry 70 gallons of diesel which would make a bigger boom than the LP.

Several years ago a gas tanker caught fire in a tunnel I think in CA and it caused an infernal. That changed a lot of laws with the big trucks. I used to drive Hazmat but all those laws have slowly evaperated from my mind.
Old 07-02-2013, 10:37 AM   #8
Site Team

Quote:
Quote:

Maybe they're just narrow minded...because they don't like guns, large soft drinks and now us poor homeless people living in our trailers just trying to get by.
Old 07-02-2013, 11:43 AM   #9

Do not make the mistake and try to go thru the Bankhead tunnel in Mobile, that is the old tunnel next to the I-10 Wallace tunnel, it is too low for sure.
USN Retired
Fredtp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 02:20 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave&Ginny
Quote:
Quote:

Maybe they're just narrow minded...because they don't like guns, large soft drinks and now us poor homeless people living in our trailers just trying to get by.
Funny you say that, I am so trying to be homeless, can I live in the Redwood is not even a question, I am so trying to sell her on this, I figure a month in the West/Northwest will do it.
Old 07-02-2013, 02:56 PM   #11

Sorry, you can't get toAcadia National Park and Bar Harbor from the hinterlands without traveling the Northeast. Canada's a big detour to the north. Just keep your 64oz. Slurpees hidden when you go through NYC on I-95...Edited by: 5th_Time
Mike & Pam '12 36RL, Kodiak Discs, 17.5" G114s H-Rated, SRE4000 w/HD Shackles, Joy Rider Shocks, Flex Air, 5.5 Onan, W&D, DW, 4 Scare Lights, (2) 6V Trojan T-145s; Progressive EMS-HW50C, Winegard DTV Sat, Sony/Denon 4K Home Theater, WiFiRanger EliteAC Pack, weBoost 4G-X Cell Booster.

2022 RAM 3500 Limited CC, LB, 4x4, DRW, Max Tow, Cummins HO, AISIN, 4.10, Mopar 30K w/OEM Prep, Transfer Flow 70gal Aux Tank/Toolbox.
5th_Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 06:38 PM   #12

What's this about the northeast. Just shut off your LPG if you are going through a tunnel. There are many alternate routes to avoid the tunnels and associated traffic. In Maine we have have guns and will always have them. Open carry is allowed with a few exceptions. Don't lump us, NH or VT with the rest of the Northeast.
Old 07-03-2013, 09:09 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliott
What's this about the northeast. Just shut off your LPG if you are going through a tunnel. There are many alternate routes to avoid the tunnels and associated traffic. In Maine we have have guns and will always have them. Open carry is allowed with a few exceptions. Don't lump us, NH or VT with the rest of the Northeast.

Bernie Sanders...need I say more?
Old 07-03-2013, 09:32 PM   #14
Site Team

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliott

Bernie Sanders...need I say more?
Lets not start talking politics
Old 07-03-2013, 09:50 PM   #15

Not trying to be political, just rebutting a prior statement. Sorry

Old 07-04-2013, 08:28 AM   #16

All in jest, Dave, all in jest. Nothing got out of hand and I used a smiley.