Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-05-2014, 07:16 PM   #1

Microsoft Streets & Trips... Bye Bye

FYI, for those of you using MS S&T, they are discontinuing the software. Here is the notice.

As a Mac user and not a big fan of any of the Windows emulator software I had to find a good alternative for planning. I found RV Trip Wizard http://www.rvtripwizard.com and have had good results with it. This is a subscription service but when you look at upgrading S&T the cost is justifiable. It is web based but does a good job for my purposes.
Old 07-05-2014, 07:44 PM   #2
Traveling

Any feedback on the newish Magellan unit made in conjunction with Good Sam for RV's?http://www.amazon.com/Rand-McNally-N...productDetails I want one, but I am afraid to get it, the reviews aren't that great. The big rig friendly aspect makes it attractive. I love my google maps, but we have often laughed at the route it would have sent us while hauling the RW and it would have been a NIGHTMARE. SO FAR, to my knowledge, google doesn't have a "big rig" layer or filter. If they do, someone please tell me!!! I am sure someday they will have it. I DO know that you can have it download the entire trip so if you lose coverage, it still works.
TNTBaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 11:13 PM   #3

Have used the Streets and trips for many years. Just updated last year, so will use it for a while yet before I worry about replacing.
Old 07-05-2014, 11:28 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNTBaker View Post
Any feedback on the newish Magellan unit made in conjunction with Good Sam for RV's?http://www.amazon.com/Rand-McNally-N...productDetails I want one, but I am afraid to get it, the reviews aren't that great. The big rig friendly aspect makes it attractive. I love my google maps, but we have often laughed at the route it would have sent us while hauling the RW and it would have been a NIGHTMARE. SO FAR, to my knowledge, google doesn't have a "big rig" layer or filter. If they do, someone please tell me!!! I am sure someday they will have it. I DO know that you can have it download the entire trip so if you lose coverage, it still works.
Theresa,

Many have the Good Sam/Rand McNally GPs's and some like them, some don't. I own a Garmin 760DEZL which is really designed for trucks but also has an RV mode. Garmin now has a 760RV which is designed for RV's and has the same base mapping system as the DEZL.

I've used Garmins for YEARS and as with my past models, I'm very pressed with this one. For the lack of RV campgrounds in the POI dB on the DEZL I downloaded a Campground POI file from POI Factory so I have THOUSANDS of campgrounds in my POI dB. I also have several other files from POI Factory loaded on the GPS, ones I frequently seek, e.g. Costco, FlyingJ/Pilot, etc.
Old 07-06-2014, 12:31 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNTBaker View Post
We have used the Rand McNally/Good Sam one for the past year and are happy with it. Have also used Tom Tom & Garmin previously and don't notice too much difference.

First one died after about 4 months and Camping World did a straight replacement, no questions asked.

Andy & Judi, Canine Companions Duke & Kona
2012 F350 Lariat CC SRW Airlift 5000 |2013 RW 36FL Winegard Trav'ler
Travel Blog: www.andyandjudi.com
Oriana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 01:22 AM   #6
Traveling

Thanks, that helps. I am just really wanting something that won't route us through a narrow, winding road or through a neighborhood.
Old 07-06-2014, 03:42 PM   #7

Theresa - they are excellent for not sending you down roads you shouldn't travel on, provided it is set up correctly.

Just after we got the unit we took it to Hawaii with us, but it was still set up for the RV. Punched in a destination and it replied no route was available. After some choice language and almost tossing it out the window I remembered about the vehicle type settings. Changed it to a car and it happily provided a route.

Therefore, they do work. However I still don't trust it 100%

Andy & Judi, Canine Companions Duke & Kona
2012 F350 Lariat CC SRW Airlift 5000 |2013 RW 36FL Winegard Trav'ler
Travel Blog: www.andyandjudi.com
Oriana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 03:46 PM   #8
Traveling

Thanks Andi and Judi;
I have noticed that it has come down almost half in price since it came out, so maybe I will go ahead and give it a try. Hopefully the big rig category extends to gas stations too! We need to do whatever it is we need to do so we can fuel up at truckstops when towing. That would be convenient. Usually, we don't travel beyond a whole tank of gas in one day, but it's a new game with the RW, I am sure the tank will drain PRETTY FAST! LOL!
Old 07-06-2014, 03:51 PM   #9

Regardless of GPS brand, look at POI Factory, you can download POI files for virtually anything you like.

Want to know where to ring FlyingJ/Pilot, all truck stops, McDonalds, Campgrounds, Starbucks, Costco, WalMart, SAMS, Cracker Barrel, etc... All these are FREE!!!
Want to know where they have red light cameras [this one you have to pay for]?
Old 07-06-2014, 07:05 PM   #10
Site Team

Theresa ~ if you have an iPad, Rand McNally makes an app for it with the RV GPS. $((.95 and free updates. It is essentially a Truck GPS with the addition of the RV database for campgrounds, etc. You plug in your height and weight restrictions and also the propane and it will pretty much always keep you away from bad places. Like Oriana said, I never 100% trust any of them.

Another app that is GREAT is called Trucker Path. When we are on the road, Tracy uses this one all the time. it will give you Truck stops and also tell you how many spaces, clearance issues, and fuel prices. If I had to run with just ONE piece of help, it would be Trucker Path. Has saved our butt many times when we were planning routes and fuel stops.
Old 07-06-2014, 07:05 PM   #11
Site Team

The Rand McNally should have been $99.95 LOL
Old 07-06-2014, 07:25 PM   #12

As most of the large truck stop chains have, Pilot Flying J has a free app that helps us locate them with current pricing, etc..

while not mandatory to go to them, I have their fuel card and makes it convenient to fill up with fuel and def when towing...
johnboytoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 07:32 PM   #13

When towing I generally will goto Pilot/Flying J. I too have their RVPlus card which saves you $.08/gallon. I usually also fill DEF from there as you can pump it right at the pump.
Old 07-06-2014, 09:29 PM   #14

FYI the DEF is usually about half price at the pump as opposed to the jug.
Traded '13 GMC Denali DRW D/A
Currently rv & truckless
Replacement undetermined
travelin' texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 09:37 PM   #15

Yep, thats why I try to fill @ Flying J/Pilot or Loves, I think those two are pretty consistent for having bulk DEF @ the pump.

When in a pinch I get the jug.
Old 07-06-2014, 10:06 PM   #16
Site Team

Does the DEF at the pump have an auto shutoff ? I always seem to overflow the tank no matter how careful I am
Old 07-06-2014, 10:41 PM   #17

@ pilot, have done it probably ten to twenty times and never had it overflow for me...
(not traveled that many miles, I just top it off whenever I go by a pilot )

BUT, I do push the nozzle as far into the tanks filler neck as it will go... and I only use the truck lanes since that's where I get the discount with the good sam card...
johnboytoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 01:47 AM   #18
Traveling

VERY COOL Vaughan! I will check it out. Especially like the sound of Trucker Path. Thanks very much!
Old 07-07-2014, 04:02 AM   #19

There have been times the DEF pump seems to shut off way too early, shutting off after just a couple of seconds but I've never had it overflow.
Old 02-26-2016, 12:42 AM   #20

I was using streets and trips for a while but switched even before it got cancelled because I need something with an iphone app. Badger maps has an iPhone app which is great for routing.
stephenhayes368 is offline   Reply With Quote