Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-21-2019, 08:54 PM   #1

Mice in trailer

Never ever had an issue with mice before. And with a 5th wheel it’s even worse when their in the under belly somewhere or their just coming in from the corners of the two large slides. I have a 2014 36RL and our weather in Saskatchewan is wacky now as it’s warmer no snow so these creatures are looking for food but not finding as I’m trapping and they are eating themselves. Set 2 traps in cargo 2 at entry at fridge slide plus I’ve got 4 ultrasonic devices Usually just spread alt of downy sheets around this year did less because was trying the ultrasonic devices Have caught 4 mice so far. Set more traps including the rear cargo as found some mice droppings in there. Found dropping on outside by drivers side front tire where have tire covers on that side so added a trap there as well. Anyone out there have any other good advice As I bought this trailer 5 years ago to retire which I did retire at end of Oct. now not sure if going to need to collect insurance or what. As it’s in outdoor storage where I’ve parked it for 5 Years with no issues. Now this. Really sucks
BobH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2019, 05:11 PM   #2

Hey Bob.....Wes here (Alberta).....We have a 38RL (2015)....so far touch wood we have had no mice in our unit....(no evidence anyway)....I was a rv service tech for a number of years and found that was a huge complaint....here is what I found....first of all....with these complicated...multi slide units ...its almost impossible to have it totally sealed so a mouse that can squeeze thru a 3/8" hole cannot gain entry.....I had to deal with so many frustrated owners about this issue and had only limited success keeping there trailers "mouse proof"....where you park it is a major element....park it in the grass....in a pasture....or something similar....your in mouse habitat...Out in the open....on a gravel base...less mouse problems.....
Anything in the trailer (I mean anything) that will attract them....bad news...ulta sonic devices....dont waist your time....bounce sheets....seem to help...moth balls work....but are unhealthy for humans....steel wool in holes....helps....local ferrel cats....excellent....getting under your unit with spray foam is a good idea....did mine and found about half a dozen possible problem areas..
The big thing I discovered was they have a cycle...some years they are especially bad....big population swing....and more complaints.....for example...late in the fall. ..here on the farm we usually have a million flies....there last kick before the frost....this year hardly a fly....
I know its frustrating....mouse poop in your unit is dirty and can be dangerous....be careful about poisons....other life often gets into it and suffer
Good luck
Wes

2015 38RL 2016 F-450
wintertree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2019, 11:54 PM   #3

I have also had to battle with mice in my unit. I use "Mouse Free" spray and do the entire bottom of the unit. including the outside of the I- Beam frame. I used it on my last RV and never had mice and after I found droppings and trapped a couple of mice I decided to spray my Redwood which solved the problem. You can buy it on Amazon and it comes with a sprayer that you hook up to a compressor to spray the bottom of your unit. The draw back to it is that it attracts dirt when traveling and makes working on your unit a messy project. I also discovered that mice can walk up the Morryde steps and get under the door threshold so I always stow my stairs when not in use.