Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 06-29-2014, 04:51 PM   #1
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 7
Many problems 38FL

Let me start my rant My 38Fl is less than 6 months old and i have had the following problems First the awning arm pitch button on the arm fell off inside the arm only fix for this is to replace the whole drive arm. The LED readout on the level system failed and doesn't have any way of telling you what the system is doing only fix for this is to replace the control panel. The drain elbow in back of the kitchen sink broke when running the Kitchen slide out and wedged the slide crooked and also broke the teeth off of the slide gear. The paneling on the interior is separated in many places. looks like bad glue to me. the bottom panel on the outside has pulled away from the coach in several places. If this is how you build a 100,000 dollar coach something is wrong would just love to return it there dealer network is a joke as i am 1500 miles from my purchase dealer and can get any one to even write the warranty orders as they give me the story you did not purchase it from us. UHG Redwood is not worth the money.
markwzuehlke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 05:01 PM   #2
Site Team
 
Dave&Ginny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 5,379
Have you been in contact with the factory yourself?
__________________
SOB "The RV Wiseguy"
Dave&Ginny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 05:19 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
0nTheRoad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 1,092
Call Redwood Customer Service (855) 226-7496 and talk with them to explain your issues. Explain your dealings with dealers.

Redwood is a good company but you will need to be persistent.
__________________
SOB
0nTheRoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 05:52 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
atom ant's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 7,101
Redwood will find you a Dealer for repair - doesn't even have to be Redwood. Any Crossroads Dealer, and even some mobile folks.

I've had a couple of the walls pop in on my large slide. I bought a couple of slide clamps and liquid nails, all fixed, and the slide clamps work wonderful holding the tablecloth on the picnic table

The damage caused by the sink elbow sucks, but the rest have nothing really to do with Redwood. DRV uses the same awning arm and levelor system. Doesn't matter if its a $50K coach or $150K coach, these things are put together with their own "breed" of parts right there out of Indiana and it doesn't matter what company it is.

Redwood needs to step up to the plate and get you fixed, but once they do, I think you will appreciate your coach.
__________________
Brad & Dory - Lone Tree, CO
CURRENT - 2013 Itasca Meridian 42E/2013 Wrangler 4dr Sahara
SOLD - 2014 Redwood 36RL/2014 F350 DRW
atom ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 05:54 PM   #5
Traveling
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 910
You have a wonderful coach. Give a Redwood a chance to make it right. Yes, there are some loser dealerships to be sure, but that is true in ANY industry or brand. Our dealings with Redwood have been outstanding. Best wishes.
TNTBaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 04:26 AM   #6
Senior Member
 
Steve & Linda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 310
Sorry to hear of your problems. You have done the right thing bringing it to the attention of this forum. The wisdom and advise found here is unsurpassed. good luck.
__________________
2015 38GK
2014 Silverado 3500HD 4x4 DRW CC
Steve & Linda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 07:12 AM   #7
Senior Member
 
Oriana's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 1,257
Hate to hear of other owners having problems with their coach. However, if you read the posts on the forums most owners are glowing in their praise for how Redwood resolves issues.

As others have said, give them a ring and explain the issues and I bet they will help you as they have assisted many others.
__________________

Andy & Judi, Canine Companions Duke & Kona
2012 F350 Lariat CC SRW Airlift 5000 |2013 RW 36FL Winegard Trav'ler
Travel Blog: www.andyandjudi.com
Oriana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 10:25 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
DLRAKOWITZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 392
I wish you the best of luck. As you heard before there are definitely loser dealerships. I should know since I as well have some big issues with mine. Both aC's went out on mine the day I picked mine up. One for sure went out and the other just stopped cooling Try to enjoy your first 3 days in a trailer that didn't drop below 91 degrees inside. Called redwood today and still waiting for a call back I informed them I just want to hand my 38br back to them since we just waited way to long to be given this as a completed unit. But I do wish you some very good luck on yours. Maybe yours will work out but I think my wife just gave up on ours
__________________
David and Beth with our sidekick red heeler Queso the "big cheese". 2016 38GK with double unagaurd awnings with led lights and trailair air tri-glide pin box 8K axles with Linc System. 2012 Ram 3500 4x4 crew cab Laramie LWB Edge Juice with attitude with B&W 20k companion hitch.
DLRAKOWITZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 04:03 AM   #9
Senior Member
 
atom ant's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 7,101
Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLRAKOWITZ View Post
I wish you the best of luck. As you heard before there are definitely loser dealerships. I should know since I as well have some big issues with mine. Both aC's went out on mine the day I picked mine up. One for sure went out and the other just stopped cooling Try to enjoy your first 3 days in a trailer that didn't drop below 91 degrees inside. Called redwood today and still waiting for a call back I informed them I just want to hand my 38br back to them since we just waited way to long to be given this as a completed unit. But I do wish you some very good luck on yours. Maybe yours will work out but I think my wife just gave up on ours
Follow up- did you get any resolve to your ACs? Curious what is going on with them.
__________________
Brad & Dory - Lone Tree, CO
CURRENT - 2013 Itasca Meridian 42E/2013 Wrangler 4dr Sahara
SOLD - 2014 Redwood 36RL/2014 F350 DRW
atom ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 03:08 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 344
RW knows about some of these dealers as they have directed me by one to another one 50 miles beyond it. The worst part of the warranty is that the dealer who diagnoses the problem and gets an authorization for a fix is the one who has to fix it. You are held captive until the parts arrive, or you can use duct tape until you get home.
__________________
Elliott & Vicky, and Sadie the GSD copilot
2014 36RE, Onan, Titan disc brakes, 17.5 inch Sailun H tires, lots of other options
2013 RAM 3500 CC, LB, DRW, Cummins, AISIN, 4x4
Elliott & Vicky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 06:27 AM   #11
Senior Member
 
rob_fla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 1,645
Quote:
Originally Posted by markwzuehlke View Post
Let me start my rant My 38Fl is less than 6 months old and i have had the following problems First the awning arm pitch button on the arm fell off inside the arm only fix for this is to replace the whole drive arm. The LED readout on the level system failed and doesn't have any way of telling you what the system is doing only fix for this is to replace the control panel. The drain elbow in back of the kitchen sink broke when running the Kitchen slide out and wedged the slide crooked and also broke the teeth off of the slide gear. The paneling on the interior is separated in many places. looks like bad glue to me. the bottom panel on the outside has pulled away from the coach in several places. If this is how you build a 100,000 dollar coach something is wrong would just love to return it there dealer network is a joke as i am 1500 miles from my purchase dealer and can get any one to even write the warranty orders as they give me the story you did not purchase it from us. UHG Redwood is not worth the money.
Our 38FL has had several pieces of trim fall off / come loose on its maiden voyage up to our homebase. (about 275 miles)
Our Level Up System display did not work at the dealer, they replaced the module with a new one.
At PDI, I found the Plastic underbelly just in front or the kitchen slide hanging down, dealer took care of it, a could of window screens with the rubber trim out that holds the screen in the frame, dealer took care of those.
We have had one shade fall down and one shade had the bar at the bottom of the shade come off in our first week of ownership.

Sure would expect more at this price point !!!!

Robert
__________________
Robert & Sheryl
2014 Redwood 38FL
MoRyde 8K IS, Disc Brakes, MoRyde Pin Box
17.5 Goodyear G114's, RV Armor Roof
2018 RAM 3500 DRW, Curt Q24 Hitch

rob_fla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 03:01 PM   #12
Senior Member
 
Oriana's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 1,257
Quote:
Originally Posted by rob_fla View Post
Our 38FL has had several pieces of trim fall off / come loose on its maiden voyage up to our homebase. (about 275 miles)
Our Level Up System display did not work at the dealer, they replaced the module with a new one.
At PDI, I found the Plastic underbelly just in front or the kitchen slide hanging down, dealer took care of it, a could of window screens with the rubber trim out that holds the screen in the frame, dealer took care of those.
We have had one shade fall down and one shade had the bar at the bottom of the shade come off in our first week of ownership.

Sure would expect more at this price point !!!!

Robert


Frankly most of these issues should have been picked up by your dealer prior to your PDI.

We have experienced the round light shades in the ceiling vibrating free, but the frequency is way less than I experienced while at sea. I can retrieve them, usually from atop a slideout or go around and tighten them periodically. No problem. Trim falling off, yep it happens while driving - tools aren't my friend, but even I can fix that.


For our first house, over 35 yrs ago, we paid more for that than the Redwood last year and the house had more problems. The house also didn't get pulled along lousy roads.
__________________

Andy & Judi, Canine Companions Duke & Kona
2012 F350 Lariat CC SRW Airlift 5000 |2013 RW 36FL Winegard Trav'ler
Travel Blog: www.andyandjudi.com
Oriana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 07:56 PM   #13
Senior Member
 
DLRAKOWITZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 392
Many problems 38FL

from early in the post some wanted to see what I was stating for the rear compartment door being a flaw from the factory for 2014. here are some photos showing that. I put my power cable and drain hoses in their and noticed when I finally brought it home from the mobile rv techs shop I had my power cable hanging out that would of been a bad day if I lost that on the way to my destination. here are 4 photos showing that and more on other post in a minute.

209.jpg

210.jpg

211.jpg

212.jpg
__________________
David and Beth with our sidekick red heeler Queso the "big cheese". 2016 38GK with double unagaurd awnings with led lights and trailair air tri-glide pin box 8K axles with Linc System. 2012 Ram 3500 4x4 crew cab Laramie LWB Edge Juice with attitude with B&W 20k companion hitch.
DLRAKOWITZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 08:00 PM   #14
Senior Member
 
DLRAKOWITZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 392
Many problems 38FL

this was missed during the PDI, the door latch for the auto level sticker arm was a little short but I guess no biggie just force it. noticed this flapping in the wind when I picked up my trailer to take it home for the first time. they locked it when I was hooking up the brakes to my truck.

213.jpg
__________________
David and Beth with our sidekick red heeler Queso the "big cheese". 2016 38GK with double unagaurd awnings with led lights and trailair air tri-glide pin box 8K axles with Linc System. 2012 Ram 3500 4x4 crew cab Laramie LWB Edge Juice with attitude with B&W 20k companion hitch.
DLRAKOWITZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 08:21 PM   #15
Senior Member
 
Steve & Linda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 310
Use of the space in the rear was a great idea, but Redwood dropped the ball on the design. Our coach, made in March, has the side hinge with a latch mechanism that is junk. Looks to be the 2nd design of this compartment door. Not worthy to be on a Redwood at all.
__________________
2015 38GK
2014 Silverado 3500HD 4x4 DRW CC
Steve & Linda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 08:23 PM   #16
Senior Member
 
DLRAKOWITZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 392
that is the door they are going to custom fit on this trailer since there is no fix for the design I have.
__________________
David and Beth with our sidekick red heeler Queso the "big cheese". 2016 38GK with double unagaurd awnings with led lights and trailair air tri-glide pin box 8K axles with Linc System. 2012 Ram 3500 4x4 crew cab Laramie LWB Edge Juice with attitude with B&W 20k companion hitch.
DLRAKOWITZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 08:37 PM   #17
Senior Member
 
DLRAKOWITZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 392
38BR back room setup

but for the lighter side, here is my work in progress. I am waiting for the freezer to match with my man cave beer fridge. and oh yeah I get to share this with my sidekick...thank god the fridge locks or Queso will help her self to my stash...she's my beer drinking dog.
214.jpg
__________________
David and Beth with our sidekick red heeler Queso the "big cheese". 2016 38GK with double unagaurd awnings with led lights and trailair air tri-glide pin box 8K axles with Linc System. 2012 Ram 3500 4x4 crew cab Laramie LWB Edge Juice with attitude with B&W 20k companion hitch.
DLRAKOWITZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 09:40 PM   #18
Senior Member
 
rob_fla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 1,645
Quote:
Originally Posted by DLRAKOWITZ View Post
from early in the post some wanted to see what I was stating for the rear compartment door being a flaw from the factory for 2014. here are some photos showing that. I put my power cable and drain hoses in their and noticed when I finally brought it home from the mobile rv techs shop I had my power cable hanging out that would of been a bad day if I lost that on the way to my destination. here are 4 photos showing that and more on other post in a minute.
Our 2014 has the updated rear door, instead of the lift up bus style rear door that is on the early 2014 models, our 2014 has the hinged rear door.
Appears to be a pretty simple design / concept, time will tell.
Since my wife follows behind me when we travel, she would see the door come open.

Sounds like Redwood may have figured out the lift up style bus door was a bad design / concept and made a mid year change.

Robert
__________________
Robert & Sheryl
2014 Redwood 38FL
MoRyde 8K IS, Disc Brakes, MoRyde Pin Box
17.5 Goodyear G114's, RV Armor Roof
2018 RAM 3500 DRW, Curt Q24 Hitch

rob_fla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 10:28 PM   #19
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 335
My 2015 38FL has the hinged back door. Since the door is rather long and the hinge very weak it is very easy to bend. Unless I am very careful just the smallest amount of pressure on the end will bend the hinge.

The hinge was bent when I did the PDI and the dealer addressed the issue by using a pliers to bend it back. For about 24 hours the door lined up correctly, but it then started to sag again.

At some point I probably will be replacing it with a much sturdier hinge or may ask at the factory in August if they have a better hinge now.
__________________
Redwood 2015 38FL,
Ford 2015 F350
ksaltman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 10:34 PM   #20
Senior Member
 
rob_fla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 1,645
Quote:
Originally Posted by ksaltman View Post
My 2015 38FL has the hinged back door. Since the door is rather long and the hinge very weak it is very easy to bend. Unless I am very careful just the smallest amount of pressure on the end will bend the hinge.

The hinge was bent when I did the PDI and the dealer addressed the issue by using a pliers to bend it back. For about 24 hours the door lined up correctly, but it then started to sag again.

At some point I probably will be replacing it with a much sturdier hinge or may ask at the factory in August if they have a better hinge now.
Ok, I guess we have not used our door enough to have a issue.
(I have been very careful with it since the door is so long with the hinge on the left side)
When we were shopping, we did look at a early 2014 38FL at another dealer, it had the earlier style lift up bus door type mechanism.

Keep me posted on what the factory does to improve the hinge quality / strength on your unit.

Robert
__________________
Robert & Sheryl
2014 Redwood 38FL
MoRyde 8K IS, Disc Brakes, MoRyde Pin Box
17.5 Goodyear G114's, RV Armor Roof
2018 RAM 3500 DRW, Curt Q24 Hitch

rob_fla is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3
Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Redwood RV or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 10:54 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
×