Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-19-2016, 07:21 PM   #1

Main awning piston/strut replacement

I just recently discovered one of my main arms for the awning is not going out. However, the right arm is extending and the awning on that side is rolling out. In looking at the piston/strut (or whatever you call it), it appears that it is no longer pushing out. Perhaps all the oil has leaked out of it?

I did a search for any previous discussions, but didn't have much luck on finding one related to my issue.

I've contacted Tiara RV to see how much one of those costs, since this may be coming out of my own pocket, though still under warranty.

Has anyone replaced one and can tell me how you go about changing it out? It appears that the pins holding it on are rivets.

Any advice/suggestions anyone could share with me would be appreciated.

Steve
sbenhoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 03:04 AM   #2

Steve, I had to replace last year, here is the part # , a picture of the ends, both ends are threaded on the pin in the awning arm. Once you get the strut it's about a 5 minute job.
0411151121.jpg
Hope Tiara helps, I had a hard time locating them so I ordered 2 & replaced both & kept the old one as a spare.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 0411150932a.jpg (294.1 KB, 18 views)
Traded '13 GMC Denali DRW D/A
Currently rv & truckless
Replacement undetermined
travelin' texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 01:56 PM   #3

I think gas struts can be found a lot of places --- just have to match up length, ends, and strength (in our 38gk's place higher strength would have been great it was so slow!)
https://www.amazon.com/Carefree-R001.../dp/B00C5SV2I4

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_n...5+lb+gas+strut
johnboytoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 03:46 PM   #4

Thanks guys for the information. I was able to find the R001252 at Amazon.com and have taken your advice and bought two of them.

I did contact Carefree of Colorado to compare prices and verify the item for my particular awning. Evidently, there is a difference between the "Traveler" and the "Eclipse" awning. This model #R001252 is for the "Traveler". Surprisingly, they were about $20 more if I ordered it directly from them and that didn't even include taxes.

So when I get them and try to install them, do I do it with the awning out or just enough in order to reach the piston? Also, any trick on backing out the threaded part on the pin?

Thanks again for the information. The price I'm paying for 2 pistons is what I would have had to pay for a service call to have a RV tech come out and replace it.

It's just a shame that I'm already having to replace this item after such minimal use of the awning.

Steve
Old 07-20-2016, 03:54 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbenhoff View Post
Thanks guys for the information. I was able to find the R001252 at Amazon.com and have taken your advice and bought two of them.

I did contact Carefree of Colorado to compare prices and verify the item for my particular awning. Evidently, there is a difference between the "Traveler" and the "Eclipse" awning. This model #R001252 is for the "Traveler". Surprisingly, they were about $20 more if I ordered it directly from them and that didn't even include taxes.

So when I get them and try to install them, do I do it with the awning out or just enough in order to reach the piston? Also, any trick on backing out the threaded part on the pin?

Thanks again for the information. The price I'm paying for 2 pistons is what I would have had to pay for a service call to have a RV tech come out and replace it.

It's just a shame that I'm already having to replace this item after such minimal use of the awning.

Steve
I think that is how the RV industry rolls. Make a bunch of $4!+ that has to be replaced every couple of years by a "professional"
Old 07-20-2016, 05:38 PM   #6

Steve, I carefully used a pair of channel lock pliers as close to the ends as poossible to unscrew both ends, trying not to mar them up, they weren't overly tight on mine.
Currently rv & truckless
Replacement undetermined
Old 07-25-2016, 03:11 PM   #7

I wanted to share some information regarding my recent fix of my awning pistons. It was definitely an easy fix, but I discovered you want to make sure your awning arms are extended to the maximum in order to install the pistons. I had a slight pitch on my awning and it was difficult to pull in the piston since they have 85#'s of resistance. In hind-sight, I should have taken out the pitch, which would have extended it enough so I would not have had to pull it in to install it.

Just an fyi in case someone else needs some assistance on how to install. Thanks again to all of you for your help.

Steve
Old 07-25-2016, 03:21 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbenhoff View Post
I wanted to share some information regarding my recent fix of my awning pistons. It was definitely an easy fix, but I discovered you want to make sure your awning arms are extended to the maximum in order to install the pistons. I had a slight pitch on my awning and it was difficult to pull in the piston since they have 85#'s of resistance. In hind-sight, I should have taken out the pitch, which would have extended it enough so I would not have had to pull it in to install it.

Just an fyi in case someone else needs some assistance on how to install. Thanks again to all of you for your help.

Steve
Glad to hear you got it fixed without much difficulty!
Rick and Mindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 09:31 AM   #9

So I'm having issues on my awning retracting if I fully extend it it won't come back unless you help it pushing down the retractable arms. The mobile service guy said the motor was probably bad. Has anyone replaced this motor?
Old 07-26-2016, 01:41 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaidocl View Post
So I'm having issues on my awning retracting if I fully extend it it won't come back unless you help it pushing down the retractable arms. The mobile service guy said the motor was probably bad. Has anyone replaced this motor?
If the awning goes out, but doesn't come back in, I'd lubricate the slide channels first, second...replace the struts.
Oh...I forgot the five kids.
spindrift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 01:50 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaidocl View Post
I remember that this issue was discussed in previous posts. If I remember right, many found out that the wiring to the motor was inadequate causing a drop in power to the motor. I would try the lube first then go to the motor input.
Old 07-26-2016, 02:29 PM   #12
Site Team

Also see if the installer at the factory removed the cotter pin that is put in for shipping. Odds are they did not. Causes the motor to run slow and puts extra load on it.
Old 07-26-2016, 02:36 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by piper guy View Post
Also see if the installer at the factory removed the cotter pin that is put in for shipping. Odds are they did not. Causes the motor to run slow and puts extra load on it.
Wow, I've not heard this before. Exactly where is this cotter pin located? I think I need to check mine. The only time I used mine, it retracted very slow, almost to the point where I felt like It wasn't going to make it. That's why I rarely use it.
Old 07-26-2016, 03:58 PM   #14

On each end of the Awning roller tube, on the top side. Extend the awning, get on a ladder and look at the top of the black plastic enclosure and you should see the cotter pin's head, pulls straight out pretty easy.
Or if all else, you can read the Carefree instructions where it tells you to remove the cotter pin once the awning is installed.
2018 Chevy 3500HD Crew Cab High Country DRW, D/A, 2016 RW39MB, Dual ACs, Auto Level, Auto Sat Dish, Stack W/D, King Sleep #, 17.5" Sailuns w/Disc, MORryde IS & Pin, Comfort Ride Hitch, 5.5 Onan, Res Fridge & Induction Cook Top
mhs4771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 05:07 PM   #15

I'd lubricate all joints & try it, if that didn't work try the struts, they act like a shock absorber in the wind & lime a door closer when retracting the awning, if 1 or both are weak it won't want to close. I think the motor would be the last to replace, but while your up removing the cotter pins may as well take a Phillips screwdriver, remove the plastic cover & lube the motors & idlers on the opposite end.
Currently rv & truckless
Replacement undetermined
Old 08-01-2016, 08:26 PM   #16

That is another part that had to be replaced on my bran new Sequoia, and the tech said they never go bad (yeah right) and he never replaced them before, and seeing that I had to help him, and figure out how to do it for him, I came to the conclusion that I need a new tech!!
azcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 11:04 PM   #17

maybe there is a few things I forgot to mention on my comment.
#1 I did take off the black plastic around the motor and also found allen head screw that seem to be loose to me.. so went and got the tool and tighten it. that made it so much worse.. soonest I loosen it back up worked again but not fast!
(haven't looked for cotter pins yet.
also when retracting you can see the motor wobble more then it used to.
Old 07-21-2018, 12:50 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin' texans View Post
Steve, I carefully used a pair of channel lock pliers as close to the ends as poossible to unscrew both ends, trying not to mar them up, they weren't overly tight on mine.
Danny or Steve... I'm going to replace the two gas shocks on my rear awning. I've read the instructions in the Carefree manual for the replacement, but was just trying to confirm you are leaving the pins in at the track and joint that hold the shock and just unscrewing the shock from the silver eye at the end of it? My shock came with new eyes on either end. Seems like an easier fix to just pull the two pins and put the new shock in?? Did you just use the eyes from the shock? Hope this makes sense to you? I attached a photo of the eye on my new shock?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1532130506302809959916.jpg (62.4 KB, 7 views)

Living the Dream in our 2015 38RL: 1600 watts solar, 800 ah lithium, slide in slide, residential refer, washer/dryer, Moryde 8K, H rated tires, Kodiak disc brakes, Drainmaster system, SeeLevel II
Our big girl is dragged around by our 2019 RAM 3500 Limited DRW
Grateful Veterans, Proud Americans, Devoted Partners, Parents and Grandparents!
LOVE the Full Time RV Life @OurRomanyLife
RomanyLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 03:23 AM   #19

On mine that pin your talking about is like a long rivet & a bolt to replace it wouldn't let the arms interlock, much easier to unscrew the eyes, replaced both struts in about 5 minutes once I figured it out.
Currently rv & truckless
Replacement undetermined
Old 07-27-2018, 12:22 PM   #20

We were at the Rally last week and had the RW techs look at our slide awning that would not retract most times without help. They replaced the motor, but still is slow. Good news it does retract, and got this done for free along with some work on the main slides. Our first Rally...great fun!
RV4us2 is offline   Reply With Quote