Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-18-2017, 08:07 PM   #1

Lube support bolt for leaf spring

I have a 2016 redwood 38RL. I had to evacuate Port Aransas, TX. Before I move my rig I always get underneath it to check my suspension and tires. I pulled it approx. 300 miles to Kerrville, TX. We have been here about a month an we're getting ready to go back. When I was getting ready to leave I got back under my rig and checked out everything and found that the left rear leaf spring bolt was bent. This is a special bolt that has a grease fitting in the head to be able to lube both sides of the leaf spring. I called Crossroads warranty department and sent them pictures. They stated that I must of turned the rig to sharply or that tire was impacted to hard. From the starting point to my destination there is no where I had to turn that sharply. Also if that bolt was damaged wouldn't the other one on the front leaf spring be damaged. My wife an I have been full time rving for 10 years. This is our 3rd 5th wheel. I have had to turn my other rigs on real tight angles and never had a problem like this. I do not know of anything I hit to cause damage like this. If it's my fault that's fine I'm just trying to find out if anybody else has had a problem like this. Thanks Jim
Jimni5er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 11:17 PM   #2

Those are called "wet bolts" & it could've happened hitting a pothole or bridge transitions. When you have a chance change ALL of them & the shackles with the heavy shackle/wet bolt kit from MorRyde, the kit will replace all the bolts, all the bushings, & 1/2" thick shackles for about $100, money well spent. With hand tools, a couple jacks, & a large C clamp to press in new bronze bushings, its about a 4 hour job to do both sides.
Traded '13 GMC Denali DRW D/A
Currently rv & truckless
Replacement undetermined
travelin' texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 11:35 PM   #3
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin' texans View Post
Those are called "wet bolts" & it could've happened hitting a pothole or bridge transitions. When you have a chance change ALL of them & the shackles with the heavy shackle/wet bolt kit from MorRyde, the kit will replace all the bolts, all the bushings, & 1/2" thick shackles for about $100, money well spent. With hand tools, a couple jacks, & a large C clamp to press in new bronze bushings, its about a 4 hour job to do both sides.
Good advice!!!

The suspensions are very weak in these units
Old 09-19-2017, 01:56 AM   #4

I would check very carefully, are you positive it's bent or is it possible that it's broken in the middle?
Friends with a '15 FL had to limp into a campground this spring with a broken wet bolt and one section worked it's way all the out, and the other half bent the shackle and allowed the spring to come off.
2018 Chevy 3500HD Crew Cab High Country DRW, D/A, 2016 RW39MB, Dual ACs, Auto Level, Auto Sat Dish, Stack W/D, King Sleep #, 17.5" Sailuns w/Disc, MORryde IS & Pin, Comfort Ride Hitch, 5.5 Onan, Res Fridge & Induction Cook Top
mhs4771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 03:38 AM   #5

Thanks for the advice. The bolt was broke. I replaced it with a regular bolt so I could get back home. Thanks again. Jim
Jimni5er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2017, 04:33 AM   #6

Sure isn't looking good for the Wet Bolts. They seem to be showing up broken on other Forums also.
2018 Chevy 3500HD Crew Cab High Country DRW, D/A, 2016 RW39MB, Dual ACs, Auto Level, Auto Sat Dish, Stack W/D, King Sleep #, 17.5" Sailuns w/Disc, MORryde IS & Pin, Comfort Ride Hitch, 5.5 Onan, Res Fridge & Induction Cook Top
mhs4771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2017, 04:01 PM   #7
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhs4771 View Post
Sure isn't looking good for the Wet Bolts. They seem to be showing up broken on other Forums also.

I wonder how much of this is cause by insufficient greasing or no grease at all. I can understand that the bolts could break if they seize up due to no grease. These trailers do require some routine preventative maintenance periodically.

But of course, who knows what grade of wet bolt was originally used? When a company's designers are inclined to use nylon bushings on a 16,000 lbs. trailer, I am sure the wet bolts were lowest grade possible.

hoosierguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2017, 01:27 AM   #8

Out of the couple dozen greaseable joints on my original suspension ther were only 3 or 4 that would take grease, now all grease easily.
I agree with Guy about the maintenance or lack of as the cause of broken bolts.
Traded '13 GMC Denali DRW D/A
Currently rv & truckless
Replacement undetermined
travelin' texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2017, 03:53 PM   #9

Naa, I've never had a trailer or a fifth wheel that even had wet bolts before and never heard of a broken bolt or shackle. It's just subpar materials. My boat trailer has 10 times the mileage as our Redwood got, and it got backed in the water a dozen times a year for 23 years and no wet bolts. I know there is a weight difference, but the springs are sized according to weight so it shouldn't make a difference.
atom ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 04:17 AM   #10

While I was changing over to the MorRyde HD Shackle kit, my street side rear spring wet bolt fell out in two pieces. It had cracked right through the lube hole in the bolt. Not sure how long it was like that...
5th_Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 04:42 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimni5er View Post
I have a 2016 redwood 38RL. I had to evacuate Port Aransas, TX. Before I move my rig I always get underneath it to check my suspension and tires. I pulled it approx. 300 miles to Kerrville, TX. We have been here about a month an we're getting ready to go back. When I was getting ready to leave I got back under my rig and checked out everything and found that the left rear leaf spring bolt was bent. This is a special bolt that has a grease fitting in the head to be able to lube both sides of the leaf spring. I called Crossroads warranty department and sent them pictures. They stated that I must of turned the rig to sharply or that tire was impacted to hard. From the starting point to my destination there is no where I had to turn that sharply. Also if that bolt was damaged wouldn't the other one on the front leaf spring be damaged. My wife an I have been full time rving for 10 years. This is our 3rd 5th wheel. I have had to turn my other rigs on real tight angles and never had a problem like this. I do not know of anything I hit to cause damage like this. If it's my fault that's fine I'm just trying to find out if anybody else has had a problem like this. Thanks Jim

We have a 36RL 2017 Redwood that we ordered with 8000# axles, H tires and disc brakes. While traveling to the Redwood Rally this year in Shipshewana, IN, we loss the hanger bolt assembly on the left rear axle. We limped into the campsite and Randy with Crossroads called out Lippert and they replace all the equipment on both axles. One of the hangers on the frame had to be cut off and a new hanger welded on the frame. We contributed the failure to the lousy highways in Illinois, we thought Calif. highways were bad but Illinois are much worst. Patches on the highways are high enough to be speed bumps. Our trailer was weighed at the Rally and was spot on with the additional weight allowance of the heavier axles and tires we ordered. I thought that the nut backed off but reading all the comments perhaps the heavier bolt broke as well. We had less than 6000 miles on the fifth wheel. We do appreciate the response from Randy and Crossroads for their rapid response to our issues, if you are going to have mechanical problems you hope you are close to the factory for help.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 09-26-2017, 11:43 PM   #12
Site Team

Hate to say it, but there is still no substitute for the MorRyde IS if you're going to travel a lot. More than 25k since installing the system and nothing but peace of mind, good ride for the coach, and improved handling. The combination of the IS and disc brakes was the absolute best $$$ spent on the coach seconded only by the MorRyde pinbox and the Comfort Ride Hitch