Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-12-2016, 12:36 AM   #1
Site Team

LP System Component Issues

The first two years of ownership of our 2012 36RL (built in Aug/Sept 2011) I had no problems with the LP components.

Then the issues started:
1. From new, I had always noticed a slight hint of LP odor around the right (curbside) tank. Then in year 3, the odor became stronger and in checking the tank area inside the cabinet, I detected a slight whiff of gas on my nose when I was sniffing the pigtail.......changed the 15 inch pigtail to a 20 inch pigtail............No more LP odor. By the way, I replaced with a 20 inch pigtail because the original 15 inch was in too much of a bind.

2. Early in year 4 while I had the coach stored in my barn, I again noticed a strong LP odor at that right tank and when I opened the cabinet door, I could hear a leak at the red, high side regulator. I ordered a new regulator and replaced the old one.........No more LP odor.

3. Later in year 4, we were returning home on a trip to Washington state and staying in Custer, SD. One evening the CO/LP Gas detector suddenly alarmed and in going to check and turn off the tanks, I discovered the pigtail on the left side with a strong leak. Fortunately, I had a spare 20 inch pigtail to replace the original 15 inch pigtail..........No more odor.

4. This past November, I was checking the LP system. I noticed that all of the appliances (range, water heater, furnace) could be operated simultaneously from the right tank, but, when trying to operate from the left tank location, I could only operate the range and water heater. When trying to add the furnace, as soon as the furnace would ignite, the flames on the range burners would virtually go out. I moved the tank back and forth between the two locations and got the same results each time. My initial assumption was that the automatic changeover regulator was not allowing sufficient gas flow through to operate the entire load, even the furnace by itself. So, I would replace the automatic changeover regulator when I had the opportunity.

Finally today, I replaced the automatic changeover regulator. GUESS WHAT?!! I still have the same problem. My assumption was wrong. I assumed the pigtail that I replaced a year ago was still good..........WRONG. Apparently, the pigtail itself is not allowing sufficient gas flow..........grrrrrrr! So, tomorrow I will be looking for another new LP pigtail. On the bright side, I have a new Cavagna 924A Changeover Regulator whose tank indicator is a lot easier to see than the original ACR-2 that now has become a spare.

I have read on other forums that folks do have problems with the LP components. How are you Redwood owners fairing in this regard?

hoosierguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 01:04 AM   #2

Our Red Regulator by the right side tank failed (started Leaking) so I ordered a new one.
The changeover Regulator never worked very good and was hard to read so I went ahead are replaced it with a Marshall Brass Changeover Regulator, no more problems so far and I can actually read the Changeover Regulator.
17.5 Goodyear G114's, RV Armor Roof
2018 RAM 3500 DRW, Curt Q24 Hitch

rob_fla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 03:34 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoosierguy View Post
The first two years of ownership of our 2012 36RL (built in Aug/Sept 2011) I had no problems with the LP components.

Then the issues started:
1. From new, I had always noticed a slight hint of LP odor around the right (curbside) tank. Then in year 3, the odor became stronger and in checking the tank area inside the cabinet, I detected a slight whiff of gas on my nose when I was sniffing the pigtail.......changed the 15 inch pigtail to a 20 inch pigtail............No more LP odor. By the way, I replaced with a 20 inch pigtail because the original 15 inch was in too much of a bind.

2. Early in year 4 while I had the coach stored in my barn, I again noticed a strong LP odor at that right tank and when I opened the cabinet door, I could hear a leak at the red, high side regulator. I ordered a new regulator and replaced the old one.........No more LP odor.

3. Later in year 4, we were returning home on a trip to Washington state and staying in Custer, SD. One evening the CO/LP Gas detector suddenly alarmed and in going to check and turn off the tanks, I discovered the pigtail on the left side with a strong leak. Fortunately, I had a spare 20 inch pigtail to replace the original 15 inch pigtail..........No more odor.

4. This past November, I was checking the LP system. I noticed that all of the appliances (range, water heater, furnace) could be operated simultaneously from the right tank, but, when trying to operate from the left tank location, I could only operate the range and water heater. When trying to add the furnace, as soon as the furnace would ignite, the flames on the range burners would virtually go out. I moved the tank back and forth between the two locations and got the same results each time. My initial assumption was that the automatic changeover regulator was not allowing sufficient gas flow through to operate the entire load, even the furnace by itself. So, I would replace the automatic changeover regulator when I had the opportunity.

Finally today, I replaced the automatic changeover regulator. GUESS WHAT?!! I still have the same problem. My assumption was wrong. I assumed the pigtail that I replaced a year ago was still good..........WRONG. Apparently, the pigtail itself is not allowing sufficient gas flow..........grrrrrrr! So, tomorrow I will be looking for another new LP pigtail. On the bright side, I have a new Cavagna 924A Changeover Regulator whose tank indicator is a lot easier to see than the original ACR-2 that now has become a spare.

I have read on other forums that folks do have problems with the LP components. How are you Redwood owners fairing in this regard?
For my 2013 36 RL the pig tail on the curb side was defective at the beginning and could not operate any gas appliances from the curb side tank. Found the problem by switching pigtails. The hose looked new on the outside however was collapsed internally. Couldn't even blow air through the removed line. Our RW dealer replaced ASAP and commented that this was a common failure with RV's regardless of brand.
2016 Silverado 3500 HD, High Country DRW diesel, 3.73 gear ratio, long bed, 25K Reese Elite removable hitch with 2013 Redwood 36RL with 17.5" H-rated tires and MOR/ryde heavy duty shackle links and bushings; 6.5 KW gen
RCAircraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 04:20 AM   #4

Just changed out the changeover regulator & the regulator on the curbside bottle due to same issues as Guy, have'nt had it switch over yet to see if it works from curbside.
Traded '13 GMC Denali DRW D/A
Currently rv & truckless
Replacement undetermined
travelin' texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 01:10 PM   #5

Send a message via AIM to Shane Wood Send a message via MSN to Shane Wood Send a message via Yahoo to Shane Wood
Touch wood. 16mths fulltime and no issues yet