Old 06-14-2013, 02:04 PM   #1
Site Team

All,

While getting our coach ready for an upcoming trip, I have again noticed the odor of LP gas in the vicinity of both tanks on the outside. I have noticed this ever since we have owned the unit, but, it is always very faint. Do others of you ever notice this odor when you are next to the gas tanks?

I have checked all of the gas line connections and they seem to be tight. I did notice that two of the connections to the gas tank switch overon the left side don't appear to have any teflon tape on them.

GuyEdited by: hoosierguy

hoosierguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 02:32 PM   #2

You need to go to the hardware store and get a bottle of leak tech. It's great for finding propane leaks.

john
j1251b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 02:59 PM   #3

I agree, that stuff works.
Old 06-14-2013, 03:02 PM   #4
Site Team

I know this may sound a little crazy but this is how I check for leaks.

#1 open the door and MAKE SURE you have good ventilation so you don't have a gas pocket.

#2 start following the gas lines and fittings with a lighter

Anywhere there's a leak will be a small flame like a pilot light. Simply blow it out and fix the leak.
Old 06-14-2013, 03:19 PM   #5

Dishsoap in a little water and a toothbrush works in a pinch. It reacts with bubbles just like leak tech.

atom ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 04:19 PM   #6

We also have the odor and it is driving my wife CRAZY! We have had it checked twice and no one can find a leak.
Old 06-14-2013, 05:26 PM   #7

When checking for leaks, include that POS red Chinese regulator on the opposite side of the changeover regulator (curb side on ours). I replaced that twice on my last rig because it would rupture the diaphragm and leak out the weep.
Old 06-15-2013, 09:45 AM   #8
Site Team

I have had the gas tank valves on both tanks turned off for 2 weeks so the only gas that should be available is what is in the lines to furnace and kitchen range from when I checked those earlier. The only place I notice the odor is at the location of the tanks. I am going to check for leaks today. I had the tanks filled earlier in the year when it was cold. Do these tanks have an over flow mechanism that will release gas if the pressure builds with temperature?

I think I will disconnect the tanks after checking for leaks and move them away from the trailer to see if the odor goes with the tanks.

Thanks for all the suggestions.

Guy

hoosierguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 10:17 AM   #9

The pressure relief for the tanks is on the valve itself.

Did you get any oil on you while filling tanks or anything? I got some oily discharge from the little 11 lb tank I use for my grill last time we were out, and that propane smell stayed with me all day!
Old 06-15-2013, 12:14 PM   #10

Propane itself is odorless as is natural gas. Mercaptan is added to both to give them a distinctive smell so that its presence will be noticeable. Because of many possibilities you can have the odor without actually having propane present. If you have checked all the connections etc. for leaks and still have the smell, I wouldn't be overly concerned You may be able to get rid of the odor washing the tanks, connections and propane compartment with soap and water to remove any residual mercaptan.