Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-03-2013, 09:03 AM   #21
Site Team

I have measured the height and get almost 13 ft. 4 In with the second AC and that is what I set the GPS for.
Old 05-03-2013, 09:17 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blenhardt
I have measured the height and get almost 13 ft. 4 In with the second AC and that is what I set the GPS for.

I think I would set it it to 13'6 if it was me, just to be safe.
USN Retired
Fredtp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 09:50 AM   #23

The Redwood site shows 13'4" on the units, I checked with a Host I know with a Carriage and he set his at 14' and thinks he is conservative with that. Better safe than sorry. It would be fine if you knew you could take a off and on ramp to by-pass. I'm still checking with Ford dealer also, I think you can get a upgrade for the Navigation system, for the price tag of 67,000.00 you would hope.
Old 05-03-2013, 10:50 AM   #24

I have covers on my MAXX fans which stick up a hair higher that the A/C's. I've measured the height while its not hitched and it is right at 13' 4". but I havent measured it while hooked to the truck yet.

To be safe I programmed the DEZL760 with 13' 6". I alsopurchased, downloadedand installed</span>the Low Clearances GPS Datahttp://lowclearances.com/ into the GPS.</span>
</span>
I've only used the GPS for one trip so far but the good news is Ididn'tencounter any questionable bridges!!
Old 05-03-2013, 11:22 AM   #25

I installed a program on my Nuvi years ago from a forum suggestion, kind of like freeware. I never liked it because it also alarms for low clearance bridges below you when on the interstates, and puts me in a pucker needlessly. The program is still there, as it alarmed again last weekend. I thought I had gotten rid of it.
atom ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 11:32 AM   #26

We have the Magelian Roadmate RV9165ST-LM with lifetime updates...so far so good.

I think we are set up for 13'6" (UNLESS OF COURSE I FORGET TO PUT THE DISH DOWN!!)
2013 36 RL
subdoc4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 03:18 PM   #27

Just remember that the bridge height signs were put up when the bridge was built. Any resurfacing of the pavement could reduce the amount of room you have to safely go under it. Personally, I avoid bridges and tunnels under 14 feet.
Adamsvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 06:43 PM   #28

After checking with my Ford dealer only to find out there is no updates for RV bridge clearance for my navigation system I decided on the Rand McNally TripMaker RVND 7720 from Camping World at a cost of 329.99 online.
Old 05-03-2013, 09:39 PM   #29
Site Team

Remember, if you do get hung up under a low bridge ....it's better to let the air out of your tires instead of dragging your trailer back out from under the bridge. If you have air bags, drop those too.
Old 05-04-2013, 01:02 AM   #30

I measured the height of my unit and it is 13' 4" as well from the second AC unit.
Old 05-04-2013, 07:28 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddy
After checking with my Ford dealer only to find out there is no updates for RV bridge clearance for my navigation system I decided on the Rand McNally TripMaker RVND 7720 from Camping World at a cost of 329.99 online.

That internet sale price is a good one.
Oh...I forgot the five kids.
spindrift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 07:47 AM   #32

For several months I was leaning towards the RM7720, then the Garmin Dezl760 was released.

The reviews I've followed over time have been very inconsistant, early in the release people were happy but over time the reviews have tended to be more negative. I've seen reports of being routed down narrow 2 lane dirtroadwhen a 4 lane highway ran parallel within a quarter mile, routed on roads with low clearances, taken on senseless routes, etc.

While no GPS is perfect, I've grown to trust the Garmin navigation system understanding that there are going to be some glitches but over all they are consistant.

Thats why I chose to go with the Garmin. The cost was $399, I bought mine thru Amazon... no shipping and no taxes so overall it was a little more expensive than the RM.

I am very happy with my choice.
Old 05-04-2013, 07:54 AM   #33

Chuck...where are you seeing these reviews. If the Rand McNally product is inexpensive, but doesn't work as advertised, it doesn't do me much good. Looking for as much good info on product comparisons that I can get. Thanks.
Oh...I forgot the five kids.
spindrift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 08:40 AM   #34

Buddy hit the nail on the head. My '12 GMC dually was obviously ordered to be a hauler. When you order Nav ($2,200 option), on a unit like this, they should at least have a "trucker option" for the software to route around low clearance and tunnels with propane restrictions - but they do not. That's pretty lame - especially when you can purchase every one of the devices you guys have talked about and stick them all over the dash for half the price the factory charges,
Mike & Pam '12 36RL, Kodiak Discs, 17.5" G114s H-Rated, SRE4000 w/HD Shackles, Joy Rider Shocks, Flex Air, 5.5 Onan, W&D, DW, 4 Scare Lights, (2) 6V Trojan T-145s; Progressive EMS-HW50C, Winegard DTV Sat, Sony/Denon 4K Home Theater, WiFiRanger EliteAC Pack, weBoost 4G-X Cell Booster.

2022 RAM 3500 Limited CC, LB, 4x4, DRW, Max Tow, Cummins HO, AISIN, 4.10, Mopar 30K w/OEM Prep, Transfer Flow 70gal Aux Tank/Toolbox.
5th_Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 08:41 AM   #35

Checked on Amazon review and Rand has a better review, plus it list Good Sam's campgrounds as well as other RV related stuff. Also I am buying the 2013 Rand Road Atlas Deluxe Motor Carrier Atlas from Walmart for 48.20. Tami is my navigator and we will look at both sources before going to unknown places.
Old 05-04-2013, 09:08 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by spindrift
Chuck...where are you seeing these reviews. If the Rand McNally product is inexpensive, but doesn't work as advertised, it doesn't do me much good. Looking for as much good info on product comparisons that I can get. Thanks.

Let me firt say that I have no skin in the game, I just wanted a GOOD GPS that I could use for routing. I spent over a year researching the different RV friendly GPS's and chose what I felt was the best available for MY use.

I've been monitoring the forums on Escapees, IRV2 and RVnet, I cant remember exactly which ones said what but the overall tone is not good on the RM, theMagellan was worse and I havent heard much of anything on it for some time.</span>

Here are a couple of threads you might want to scan...
http://www.irv2.com/forums/f52/rand-mc-nally-7720-vs-garmin-dezl-760-a-154445.html
http://www.irv2.com/forums/f52/new-rvnd-7720-lm-rand-mcnally-gps-143301.html
http://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/25722546/srt/pa/pging/1/page/1

The two most discussed issues with the RM are...
#1 Routing
#2 Customer support... virtually NONE!

The biggest plus for the RM is the GoodSam campground database. The Garmin has campgrounds listed too but not near as many. I also downloaded and installed a campground POI dB from POI Factory which has quite a few additional campgrounds.

I understand that GoodSam is picking up the RM GPS, not sure what that will mean???

As I said before, I have had several Garmin's as ell as TomTom's and a Lowrance... overall I favor the Garmin... hands down!

Chuck
Old 05-04-2013, 02:06 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5th_Time
Buddy hit the nail on the head. My '12 GMC dually was obviously ordered to be a hauler. When you order Nav ($2,200 option), on a unit like this, they should at least have a "trucker option" for the software to route around low clearance and tunnels with propane restrictions - but they do not. That's pretty lame - especially when you can purchase every one of the devices you guys have talked about and stick them all over the dash for half the price the factory charges,
That is about what I told the dealer, you don't buy a F350 or F450 to joy ride in, you are going to pull something with it. It makes no since, They should at least have a update. This was only the dealer, Plan on letting Ford know I'm not a happy camper as well. I do love my truck and features, but someone needs to explain the planning in this.
Old 05-04-2013, 02:25 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave&Ginny
Remember, if you do get hung up under a low bridge ....it's better to let the air out of your tires instead of dragging your trailer back out from under the bridge. If you have air bags, drop those too.
Okay, I value your advise as well, with all your travels what are you using?
Old 05-04-2013, 08:39 PM   #39

Quote:
Quote:
That is about what I told the dealer, you don't buy a F350 or F450 to joy ride in, you are going to pull something with it. It makes no since, They should at least have a update. This was only the dealer, Plan on letting Ford know I'm not a happy camper as well. I do love my truck and features, but someone needs to explain the planning in this.

Does anyone know if Peterbuilt, Western Star, or Kenworth have GPS trucker bridge, Tunnel, and propane restriction integrated.

Dave from Maine
Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 08:45 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave
Quote:
Quote:
Â*
Does anyone know if Peterbuilt, Western Star, or Kenworth have GPS trucker bridge, Tunnel, and propane restriction integrated.
Â*
Dave from Maine
Freightliner does.