Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-17-2016, 03:44 PM   #1

Lippert or Dexter Brakes?

I recently made a trip from TX to the RW factory and following our first stop my safety brake cable was accidently pulled by a step stool I had in the bed of my truck. Unfortunately, I wasn't aware of it until someone pointed out that I had an issue so I pulled over.

After reinserting the key, I was able to proceed. When I finally got home and pulled the hub I found the front driver side brakes were wore out. One side was actually down to metal and messed up my hub. I haven't looked at the other ones yet, but am considering replacing all the brakes.

My question is whether or not I can use Dexter brakes instead of the Lippert without any issues. I'm also considering changing to a self adjusting brake, as these are not.

I should say that my rig is a 2015 RW 38RL. It has the 7K pound axles and I've been told it is a 12 X 2.

Any helpful suggestions would be much appreciated. I don't know if the drum will be able to be turned or not, so this could be an expensive event.

Steve
Frisco, TX
sbenhoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 04:03 PM   #2

Not sure what you are wanting to spend, but check with Ron 'Titanguy" on here about Titan disc brakes. Just had mine switched over to discs. Man what a difference.
USN Retired

Radio_Flyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 04:29 PM   #3
Site Team

Skip ~ yup, discs spoil you. Whole rig brakes like its just the truck and the trailer isn't even there.
Old 05-17-2016, 04:34 PM   #4

I changed out my hubs and breaks assemblies with Dexter hubs and breaks. Did not have any problems installing them. I got them from Etrailer.com they had the best price and free shipping.
Camphost
j1251b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 04:41 PM   #5

Vaughan agree. Didn't know what I was missing until I hit brakes the first time.
USN Retired

Radio_Flyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 04:52 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbenhoff View Post
I recently made a trip from TX to the RW factory and following our first stop my safety brake cable was accidently pulled by a step stool I had in the bed of my truck. Unfortunately, I wasn't aware of it until someone pointed out that I had an issue so I pulled over.

After reinserting the key, I was able to proceed. When I finally got home and pulled the hub I found the front driver side brakes were wore out. One side was actually down to metal and messed up my hub. I haven't looked at the other ones yet, but am considering replacing all the brakes.

My question is whether or not I can use Dexter brakes instead of the Lippert without any issues. I'm also considering changing to a self adjusting brake, as these are not.

I should say that my rig is a 2015 RW 38RL. It has the 7K pound axles and I've been told it is a 12 X 2.

Any helpful suggestions would be much appreciated. I don't know if the drum will be able to be turned or not, so this could be an expensive event.

Steve
Frisco, TX
Don't know if this would help you, but it would give you another option. I recently had my brakes changed out to the Titan Disk brakes. I kept the original hubs and brake assemblies thinking someone may be interested in them. They came off of a 31SL, 2013 with the 7K axles. They are in excellent condition. If you are interested in all or part send me a message. I am located in Shreveport, LA. It would save you a ton of money and would get your brakes back to original.

Rick
Rick and Mindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 05:37 PM   #7

My original brakes, were replaced by the dealer with Dexter. Everything including the backing plates.

Mark
Old 05-17-2016, 05:44 PM   #8

If I were spending your money , I would call Titan Guy ( Ron ) and get his disc brake kit... I did and WOW what a difference... the fact that your brakes were LOCKED while towing and you did not know it is sign enough.. OR your TV is a STRONG Ford , but that's for another thread !

IF you swap out to Dexter , I would replace the entire backing plate assembly.. It come with EVERYTHING except the drum. The assembly will run you about $100.00 per axle , add in drums at about $90.00 per assembly , upgrade the cheap bearings that come with it.... That's close to $650.00- $700.00 just in parts .. I would take that $700.00 and put it towards the Titan Disc kit... I believe that his cost for the kit and install is around $2750.00 COMPLETE for NON ROG Members...
cheaper for members
Feel free to PM me if you have questions . . .
Good Luck , Joe
Ford truck guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2016, 03:21 AM   #9

Thanks to everyone for your help and suggestion

I want to thank everyone for your ideas and suggestions. The day will come when I will be ready to change over to discs, but not until we start traveling a little more than we presently do.

I especially want to thank Rick for his gracious offer of the hubs/brakes that he had before changing to discs. After reading many of his comments in this forum, I felt like I had already met him. Meeting in a Camping World parking lot is a great place to meet new friends. Rick and Mindy drove part of the way to meet me even through some heavy rain. They are true "RV'ers" at heart.

Now all I have to do is find a time when it's not raining here in TX so I can get all this put back together. The next three days look pretty promising....

Steve
Old 05-20-2016, 03:56 AM   #10

Glad we could help. It was a good place to meet. Hope the rain lets up enough for you to get your Redwood back to normal again. This is a great forum, and many ready to help if needed.
Old 05-20-2016, 02:36 PM   #11

Thumbs up

I love when a story has a happy ending !! Kudos to Rick and Mindy for assisting a Redwood family member ! !
Ford truck guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2016, 03:29 AM   #12

Send a message via AIM to Shane Wood Send a message via MSN to Shane Wood Send a message via Yahoo to Shane Wood
Thanks Rick that was awsome what you did
Old 05-21-2016, 03:40 AM   #13

It was great to be in a position to help a fellow Redwood family member. I knew when I kept the old brake assemblies and hubs that they may come in handy one day. I couldn't believe it when I saw this thread. I hope Steve will be able to get back to normal soon.
Old 05-21-2016, 07:22 PM   #14

Thumbs up Success with the "slightly used" brakes

It finally stopped raining long enough that I was able to complete my brake job today. After removing all the hubs, I only had the front left that was practically destroyed. I'm very fortunate to have made it home safely.

We hope to get it back out on the road this coming weekend, as long as it doesn't rain too hard.

Thanks again to everyone, especially Rick.....

Steve
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20160516_190732.jpg (113.7 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg 20160519_180050_001.jpg (189.7 KB, 7 views)
Old 05-22-2016, 12:57 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbenhoff View Post
It finally stopped raining long enough that I was able to complete my brake job today. After removing all the hubs, I only had the front left that was practically destroyed. I'm very fortunate to have made it home safely.

We hope to get it back out on the road this coming weekend, as long as it doesn't rain too hard.

Thanks again to everyone, especially Rick.....

Steve
Great news Steve. I know you were happy to see that it wasn't as bad as first thought. I'm surprised you made it home without something catching on fire from the heat that the brake must have been generating.
Old 05-22-2016, 03:27 AM   #16
Site Team

This is a great group of people!