Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-08-2017, 01:38 PM   #1

Lippert Level Up oddity

I headed to storage to bring my 2014 31SL home to winterize it. When I opened the door to my level up touchpad I was met with a message "Communication lost - check wiring". Hoping to reset the controller, I unplugged/replugged power to the controller. Sure enough all was well. We got the trailer home and winterized. On attempting to hitch back up, I was met with the message "Can't retract, front too low". According to the touchpad the front was -9.9 degrees. This was obviously not correct. This time unplugging/replugging the controller power did not clear the error. Thinking I either have a a controller that lost it's memory or a shot controller, I zero-calibrated the system. Again all was well again. However, I continued to debug the system a bit. I have found that regardless of how high/low the front of the trailer is in relation to the rear the level up touchpad displays the same front-to-back value (0.0). In the past when I did this I could see this change. Left/right controls seem to be operational and operate as expected.

Based on all this I have concluded that I either have a bad controller or bad rear sensor or something else I haven't thought of.

Does anyone on the forum know where the rear sensor is mounted on the 31SL or where I should look? Has anyone encountered anything like this before and what turned out to be the issue? Have I forgotten to check or try something else?

As always thanks to all for your advice.

Robb
2014 31SL (stock)
2013 GMC Denali HD
rlmankin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 04:27 PM   #2

If I'm not mistaken there's only one sensor in the front compartment up high on the center of the bulk head, it may be loose or has gone haywire.
Traded '13 GMC Denali DRW D/A
Currently rv & truckless
Replacement undetermined
travelin' texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 04:35 PM   #3

Send a message via AIM to Shane Wood Send a message via MSN to Shane Wood Send a message via Yahoo to Shane Wood
As Danny said the sensor could have come loose frrom it's mounting thus giving an incorrect reading. I would check with redwood as I thought there were 2 sensors
1 in the front compartment and 1 on the frame behind the rear axle
Old 10-08-2017, 05:24 PM   #4

There are 2 sensors. One in the front and one near the rear. One if for the side to side portion, the other for the front to back leveling portion. Takes both working correctly to level consistently. Usually mounted with 1 or 2 self tapping screws. The rear one should be behind the rear axles mounted to a plate welded to one of the frame zig zag bars that stretch from one I beam to the other. If loosely mounted the leveling system might perform the way you describe, but it could be your touch pad also.

Chris
2012 36RL
r time soon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 11:44 PM   #5

Thanks everyone. So i rechecked the security and connections on the front sensor. All is secure and all connection have connectors plugged in, so I am sure there is a rear sensor. We are supposed to get some weather the next day or two, so after the storm clears, i’ll lower the undercover and check for the sensor on the frame behind the rear axles. I’ll let y’all know the putcome.
rlmankin is offline   Reply With Quote