Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-14-2018, 10:37 PM   #1

Lippert Jacks

Yesterday 2,000 miles from home I noticed a strange noise coming from my jacks as I was lowering my front jacks to get the weight off my front hitch. I pulled out and pushed auto level and all seemed good. As I was walking around I noticed a small bit of hydraulic fluid on the passenger side jack pad. I looked at my reservoir
and it looked low, however to be honest I do not know what is low. This morning in the rain I hooked up and pushed auto retract all was well and no noise. When I went to put my front jacks partially down to do my pullout safety check my passenger jack only came 1/2 way down and would not move up or down. I turned off the system and was able to raise them both. I am now staying on a Saturday night hooked up to my truck and no jacks down because of fear. I was able to extend my slides however my hydraulic kitchen slide seemed slow. I hope I can close them tomorrow on my way to Fargo, ND. I am staying there for 3 days so hope to get it fixed. One problem I have is I can't open my generator door where the reservoir is because my truck bumper blocks the door from opening all the way. Any ideas?????
gridiron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 01:27 AM   #2

I would get some blocks and block the two front jacks up as high as you possibly can. Then deploy them to raise the coach enough to get the truck out so you can reach the reservoir. Leave the other jacks up. Slides in.

Then fill the reservoir to within a couple inches of the top. When you are situated where you are comfortable doing it, you need to fully deploy all jacks and slides then pull them back in to purge air from the system and check fluid again and fill if necessary. That should get you going and you will need to keep a close watch on fluid.

Now you need to find the leak. Hopefully it is just a loose fitting that can be tightened.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Highcountrybarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 04:09 AM   #3

With all jacks up & all hydraulic slides in the fluid in the reservoir should be 1/4" to 1/2" below the fill opening. Adding fluid with any jacks down or slide out you could overfill the reservoir & have a big mess when retracting all.
I totally agree that once the reservoir is topped off run the jacks & slides in/out a few times to work out any air pockets then top it off again.
Recommended fluid is a 15w motorcycle fork oil which helps with popping & groaning jacks.
Traded '13 GMC Denali DRW D/A
Currently rv & truckless
Replacement undetermined
travelin' texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 01:13 PM   #4

I was also going to suggest to make sure all jacks are up and slides are before checking. I also have question. When we are parked our jacks make that "popping" sound. Is this air in the system? Anybody else hear this? Thanks.
Old 07-15-2018, 01:49 PM   #5

Hello. RedWood stated years ago that Lippert was already including Anti stiction fluid to their units as they were produced. I added it to mine also and the noise has mostly disappeared. Look at the attached Lippert sheet. Also the further the jack legs are extended the less stable they are. You can help limit the leg extension by using large solid blocks or pads under the sand pads of the hydraulic legs and this should also help reduce the popping. These fluids can typically be purchased at a motor cycle shop as this is racing fork oil.

Chris & Maria
2012 36RL
r time soon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 03:29 PM   #6

Hi. I had a leaky jack once, if is the center jack, check and see if the "O" ring is ok. the middle jack has a plug at the top and some time the ring on the plug fails.
Good luck