Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-20-2018, 02:49 AM   #1

Lifting Safety

I will be having some brake work/repair done, probably replacing the backing plate assemblies and maybe the drums. I realize I can lift each side of the unit separately to remove the wheels. My mechanic is concerned about the safety of having the trailer only supported on the Lippert leveling jacks. I know we could just remove and work one wheel at a time, but it would expedite the work to do at least two at once. Any experience with this and what do you recommend for additional safety support? Thanks, Will
Old 09-20-2018, 03:02 AM   #2

I put 10” wooden blocks under the pads. You can easily lift the whole coach with all four tires well off the ground. The blocks make it much more stable. But then you need enough heavy duty jack stands, each rated to support their share of 16,000 pounds. Or you can crib it up with timbers like six by six’s. But I would never work under just the level up. A hydraulic hose ruptures and it is down on you.

Here is an example of cribbing.

https://goo.gl/images/SnjVVk
Highcountrybarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 03:23 AM   #3

Mine sat for 4 days only on the jacks while waiting on all the same brake components.
If I recall each jack is rated at more than enough to lift the entire RW each jack alone.
Traded '13 GMC Denali DRW D/A
Currently rv & truckless
Replacement undetermined
travelin' texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 03:27 AM   #4

I had also considered the blocks and would never recommend doing both sides at once. My unit is the 31 SL at 35’. How many additional HD Jack stands do you suggest and what should the placement be? Uniformly spaces front to rear?
Old 09-20-2018, 03:50 AM   #5

If you have four capable of handling your gross weight, that would be fine. I would put them right on the main frame rails about 8’ from each end. You might rent them but here are the ones I bought for just such use.

Torin Big Red Steel Jack Stands: 6 Ton Capacity, 1 Pair https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000CODPF6..._sMWOBb9B81C87

I agree that the level up should hold it, but I got a car off a kid one time and saved his life. If I hadn’t heard the crash he would be dead today. For me, it just isn’t a chance worth taking.
Highcountrybarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 01:16 PM   #6

Each Lippert jack is rated for 14,000#... Whenever I do any type of work like brakes, bearings, etc, I Hook up to the truck first, then after putting blocks under the pads, I raise 1 side at a time.

If I were going to have it up for an extended period of time, I would place some sort of cribbing, or HD jack stands under as a precaution...

Joe
Ford truck guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 01:20 PM   #7
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highcountrybarry View Post
If you have four capable of handling your gross weight, that would be fine. I would put them right on the main frame rails about 8’ from each end. You might rent them but here are the ones I bought for just such use.

Torin Big Red Steel Jack Stands: 6 Ton Capacity, 1 Pair https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000CODPF6..._sMWOBb9B81C87

I agree that the level up should hold it, but I got a car off a kid one time and saved his life. If I hadn’t heard the crash he would be dead today. For me, it just isn’t a chance worth taking.

Exactly what I used when I upgraded the suspension 3 years ago. I placed the 4 jack stands under the I-beam rails before and after the spring hangers as safety back-up with the coach supported on the hydraulic jacks. I adjusted the hydraulic jacks and the jack stands to be right at the rails.

hoosierguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 09:52 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford truck guy View Post
Each Lippert jack is rated for 14,000#... Whenever I do any type of work like brakes, bearings, etc, I Hook up to the truck first, then after putting blocks under the pads, I raise 1 side at a time.

If I were going to have it up for an extended period of time, I would place some sort of cribbing, or HD jack stands under as a precaution...

Joe
I did the same thing when I did the brakes and bearings on my 31SL. I left the truck hooked up, raised one side, placed a jack stand at the front and back of the trailer, and adjusted the lift to lightly load the stands. The total load on my trailer axels is 12,000 lb, so I'm only supporting 6,000 lb when I lift one side with the truck hooked up. Even still, I always set jack stands if I'm going to be under a vehicle.
shrode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2018, 06:10 PM   #9

I carry two 12 Ton hydraulic bottle jacks with me at all times. They can be used on blocking to lift one side of the coach by the frame or to change a tire on the tow vehicle. I use the level up as a safety measure in an emergency but the odds of two hydraulic jacks and the level-up failing are slim.
I also carry a battery impact wrench to make everything go faster. At home I will use wood blocking for safety after jacking up the side I'm working on.
Old 09-29-2018, 11:28 PM   #10

The six level up jacks are more than sufficient to support the weight of your trailer while you change all 4 brakes. Mine sat overnight while waiting for new tires last summer. For safety sake, I wouldn't crawl around under it without supporting with cribbing or jack stands but you shouldn't need to just to change brake shoes, etc.
rmthelen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 09:34 PM   #11

Lifting one side is risky, especially if the ground is uneven. The trailer could slip sideways and do damage to itself. I've seen it happen. Lifting the whole trailer slowly Landing gear, rear, landing gear, rear, etc. is the best way of doing it.
Elliott & Vicky is offline   Reply With Quote