Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-20-2015, 01:05 PM   #61

As posted previously, our 2015 38RL has developed severe blistering/bubbles. Sent photos to RW and they requested we have a Crossroads dealer (no RW dealer nearby) verify the problem which we did. It appears at this point that the roof will have to be replaced and I am waiting for a decision from RW. Curiously, Redwood now advertises an Alpha Ply roof w/12 year warranty, Crossroads advertises Alpha Ply II and Alpha systems website indicates that Alpha Ply has been discontinued and replaced with a product called Superflex. Trying to determine from RW what they would replace my roof with and what warranty or should we just go with RV Roof Armor and never have to worry about this again. RV Roof Armor would remove the old roofing, install their product in tan directly over the plywood decking and preserve the painted radius using a clear product over the painted areas. Of course this process costs more than their normal install. Hope for a decision from RW very soon.
Ken&Cyndie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2015, 04:18 PM   #62

The roof armor would be out of your own pocket - so why not let Redwood replace the roof first with with the Superflex? You might be happy with it, and its a continuance of the warranty.

I am still very leery of the claims RV Armor has with regard to lifetime. UV is a powerful adversary, and if it fades or cracks or turns to dust, it is far more permanently installed than the roof you have now. I definitely don't like the idea of clear over your painted edges, because that means you still have a portion of the old roof underneath so the RV armor isn't really attached to anything underneath at a critical point (edges), and I can't imagine clear would look right new, let alone after getting UV for a few years. It could turn yellow pretty fast. Why don't they just paint the sides like they do on the Alpha roof?
atom ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2015, 06:42 PM   #63

Ken & Cyndie,
The RV Armor clear coat for the sides of the roof sounded good to us too until they told us it would not have the same level of protection. Marilyn

2014 36FB, 2012 F350 DRW,
Onan, Washer/Dryer, Dish Washer, Satellite Internet, Comfort Ride Hitch
Current location: Ozarks, MO
Marilyn H is offline   Reply With Quote