Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-30-2012, 12:44 PM   #1

I know this has been discussed before, but Redwood really needs to do something about the creaking, popping, snapping, sounds of the leveling gear. Last night the thing popped so loud it woke me out of a dead sleep - almost sounded like a gun shot. Also, for a coach that has a retail price pushing past $130,000 I dont like the fact that the neighbors all can hear when I am walking from the sofa to the bedroom as the jacks all make that popping/snapping sound. Not to mention when the washer or dryer are in their spin cycle. I have tried everything possible to shut these things up - nothing has worked. The dealer even went so far as to bleed the fluid lines to ensure no air was potentially in the lines. I am starting to believe that they system Redwood has chosen for this unit is undersized and honestly cannot handle the load and stress a coach of this size puts on them. (As an FYI - I am on a concrete pad that is not 100% level, but is close). I really hate that the only conversation the neighbors talk about regarding my brand new Redwood is about how loud it is and the jacks appear to be cheap and flimsy at best. I welcome any Redwood Reps to stop by and hear first hand what I am referring to. I think you will agree at how frustrating and embarrassing it is.

Old 09-30-2012, 01:33 PM   #2

Dave I have to agree. The system seems a tad bit undersized for our units. My floor creeks over by the pantry but then settles down after we are there for a couple of days. We generally use our unit for five nights and six days. But as mentioned ion another stitch I have built up my unit with wooden blocks so that the extension of tahe jacks is no more than a third + of there total extension. Try that and let us all know.
Old 09-30-2012, 01:54 PM   #3
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enroute
I know this has been discussed before, but Redwood really needs to do something about the creaking, popping, snapping, sounds of the leveling gear. Last night the thing popped so loud it woke me out of a dead sleep - almost sounded like a gun shot. Also, for a coach that has a retail price pushing past $130,000 I dont like the fact that the neighbors all can hear when I am walking from the sofa to the bedroom as the jacks all make that popping/snapping sound. Not to mention when the washer or dryer are in their spin cycle. I have tried everything possible to shut these things up - nothing has worked. The dealer even went so far as to bleed the fluid lines to ensure no air was potentially in the lines. I am starting to believe that they system Redwood has chosen for this unit is undersized and honestly cannot handle the load and stress a coach of this size puts on them. (As an FYI - I am on a concrete pad that is not 100% level, but is close). I really hate that the only conversation the neighbors talk about regarding my brand new Redwood is about how loud it is and the jacks appear to be cheap and flimsy at best. I welcome any Redwood Reps to stop by and hear first hand what I am referring to. I think you will agree at how frustrating and embarrassing it is.

According to the Lippert representatives that were at the Redwood rally in August, the front jacks are rated at 14000 lbs each and the 4 rear jacks arerated at 7000 lbs each. That means that the six jacks should be capable of lifting 42000 lbs. Seems like that should be more than capable for a trailer weighing 16000 lbs. I have no way of verifying that those are real ratings other than what the were saying. It seems like as many owners that have posted about issues with this system, they would consider a few field trips to witness the issue first hand. Of course that means that they have to be taking the matter seriously.

I have had very little problem with mine but I am sure if something popped off with the sound of a shot gun I would take notice in a hurry.

Edited by: hoosierguy

hoosierguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 02:06 PM   #4

Guy just read your post and was wondering why our jacks go staright down and not off at an angle like the $$$$ rigs. Maybe the slight angle stabilizes the ability for the jacks to allow wobble and thus causing the jacks to reset themselves with no popping????
Old 09-30-2012, 02:26 PM   #5

On our 36RL, the jacks are at a slight angle. Very little popping except when there is a large temperature or altitude change.
Adamsvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 05:57 PM   #6

Jay,

I guess I will have to break down and build some blocks to place under the jacks. That is about the only thing I have not tried yet. Don't get me wrong, I am very happy with my new Redwood and really like the product. The level up system is about the only thing that I have to say that would be considered a negative toward my coach. I also have to admit that while sitting outside this afternoon, I noted that even when the wind blows, if the coach happens to move at all, I can hear the jacks popping/cracking. Sad that a breeze, not hurricane force winds, can make the jacks unhappy. I will let you know if the blocks help resolve the issue.

Edited by: Enroute
Old 09-30-2012, 08:16 PM   #7

I don't know why but it seems to help if you put a pad between the jacks and the concrete.
TravelinAnderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 08:38 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tobys Home
Dave I have to agree. The system seems a tad bit undersized for our units. My floor creeks over by the pantry but then settles down after we are there for a couple of days. We generally use our unit for five nights and six days. But as mentioned ion another stitch I have built up my unit with wooden blocks so that the extension of tahe jacks is no more than a third + of there total extension. Try that and let us all know.
Ours floor creeksso bad, by the pantry.I can hear it out side, when my wife is fixing breakfest. but onlyin the morning. as the day goes by it quites and starts again they next morning.
Linda at Redwood. told me they have had to fix this complaint, with the problem floor joist, from underneath. another item on my list for this winter.

Lillyputz
Old 09-30-2012, 09:52 PM   #9

Sounds to me like I got the better end of the stick on squeaky floor or cranky jacks. I hope Redwood is able to fix your floor Lillyputz.

Old 09-30-2012, 10:55 PM   #10
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoosierguy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enroute

According to the Lippert representatives that were at the Redwood rally in August, the front jacks are rated at 14000 lbs each and the 4 rear jacks arerated at 7000 lbs each. That means that the six jacks should be capable of lifting 42000 lbs. Seems like that should be more than capable for a trailer weighing 16000 lbs. I have no way of verifying that those are real ratings other than what the were saying. It seems like as many owners that have posted about issues with this system, they would consider a few field trips to witness the issue first hand. Of course that means that they have to be taking the matter seriously.

I have had very little problem with mine but I am sure if something popped off with the sound of a shot gun I would take notice in a hurry.

When I first got my trailer (first 2 months) my jacks would pop and sometime they would be loud. But right now I'm on a trip and I've only heard them a few times and they aren't very loud at all. I really don't know why they pop and why mine would quiet down over time. And please don't get me wrong....the money that is spent on these trailers...they shouldn't pop at all.