Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-19-2015, 04:45 PM   #1

Level up issue.

So we arrived at our destination the other day for our second trip since taking delivery in May. The pull thru spot that we set up at has about a 5inch drop off & was far from reasonably level. After raising the front jacks & pulling truck out, hit auto level & that's when the system got screwed up & forced us to manually level the coach. I think I know the answer but wanted to hear from those of you that experienced a similar issue with "auto leveling". Just want to make sure that something isn't wrong with the system.
Duramax, Allison Tranny, 62 Gal. Titan Tank
2016 39MB 5.5 Onan, Residential Package, Goodyear G114's, Mor/ryde heavy duty Shackle/bushing upgrade.
Rosey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2015, 05:01 PM   #2

Exactly what kind of problem did you have? Any messages displayed ? Like 'Out of Stroke '? We have gotten that before when the ground under the nose is really low compared to the rest of the campsite. I almost always use 3" slabs of wood under front jacks when removing the truck out from underneath. More than once I had to re-hitch to the truck, raise front jacks and add under the front jacks. Then the problem goes away.

Chris
r time soon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2015, 05:12 PM   #3

We got a message something to the effect "side to side" level issue Chris. Had to rehitch and put blocks under the pads and just "eyeballed" things with a carpenters level on manual. Agree with you that this system isn't totally "auto level" & there are instances when blocks are necessary. Just hope system works ok next time in reasonably level surface & I won't have to reprogram things.
2016 39MB 5.5 Onan, Residential Package, Goodyear G114's, Mor/ryde heavy duty Shackle/bushing upgrade.
Old 09-19-2015, 05:14 PM   #4

Is the space out of level front to back or side to side. More than likely you have maxed out the stroke in one direction or the other and may need to use some wood or blocks to level.
Old 09-19-2015, 05:20 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWJSIM2003 View Post
Is the space out of level front to back or side to side. More than likely you have maxed out the stroke in one direction or the other and may need to use some wood or blocks to level.
Side to side AND dip to front. Lesson learned to carry plenty of blocks next trip just in case.
Old 09-19-2015, 05:24 PM   #6

Once you added the blocks you should've been able to auto level provided you added enough blocks to which ever jack was out of whack. Also recalibrating it is a piece of cake, but I'd wait til you were at a spot with a good semi level solid surface, level rig manually checking with a level, then with level up off push up 10 times, down 10 times & enter, it beeps & says level, close door, walk away.
Traded '13 GMC Denali DRW D/A
Currently rv & truckless
Replacement undetermined
travelin' texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2015, 05:27 PM   #7

I put block down every time on all 6 pads. Always best to Carry some blocks most sites are not perfectly level.
Old 09-19-2015, 05:53 PM   #8

Thanks guys...
Old 09-19-2015, 05:57 PM   #9

After I had the Lippert center point system installed, the rig was a few inches higher than before the install. Even on fairly level sites, I got an out of stroke message most all of the time.

I then checked with Lippert to see what the specs were for the pads retracted from the ground. They told me 8-10". Mine were way above that. I lowered the center and rear jacks to specs and have not had an issue since. There is plenty more travel now to auto level.

BTW, a friend of mine was helping me and tried to take the bolts off by hand. It was nearly impossible. He then used an impact wrench and they came off easily.

Ken
brenkco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2015, 06:52 PM   #10
Site Team

Remember, when you're setting your system to keep the nose a little high. This will help keep the water on the slides and roof running to the back of the coach. Whenever I level any RV....I'd rather go high on the front. There's times where I know I'm a full bubble off on my coach when I grab a quick overnight at a campground.

I agree with others...carry some sort of blocks with you for those time where you have to shore up the rig. The best home made blocks I've seen were made by Steve.
Old 09-19-2015, 07:12 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by brenkco View Post
After I had the Lippert center point system installed, the rig was a few inches higher than before the install. Even on fairly level sites, I got an out of stroke message most all of the time.

I then checked with Lippert to see what the specs were for the pads retracted from the ground. They told me 8-10". Mine were way above that. I lowered the center and rear jacks to specs and have not had an issue since. There is plenty more travel now to auto level.

BTW, a friend of mine was helping me and tried to take the bolts off by hand. It was nearly impossible. He then used an impact wrench and they came off easily.

Ken
Interesting - I would have never thought about that. I'm glad the jacks can be physically adjusted down.
atom ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2015, 11:31 PM   #12

I've seen blocks on work over rigs in the oilfield that didn't use as big of blocks as Steve's, they look good, but I'm too weak to haul them around! LOL!
Currently rv & truckless
Replacement undetermined
Old 09-20-2015, 04:58 PM   #13

Coach Leveling NOSE Down!

I'm probably answering the question myself.
But, first time leveling coach it shows level successful, but it is NOSE DOWN or LOW!

Being a brand new coach, I'm guessing the Factory Never Calibrated the system!

Does that sound about right?

I will do a new calibration at my next stop!
JT & BT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2015, 05:04 PM   #14

Thanks for the info on the Jack Lengths. I will check that at my next stop too.
Old 09-20-2015, 05:31 PM   #15

Just a "little" nose down or a lot? It should have been calibrated at the factory which makes me a bit suspicious that the answer is that simple.

Its pretty easy to calibrate. If you need the sequence just shout and we can look it up. I just re-did mine last time out after reading the instructions on here and it corrected a "list I had to starboard"
Old 09-20-2015, 05:50 PM   #16

C'mon Brad of course it was calibrated at the factory & my shower was caulked, the bag was in the vac, filter was in water filter, why would you even question it??
Currently rv & truckless
Replacement undetermined
Old 09-20-2015, 06:03 PM   #17

well you're right there!
Old 09-20-2015, 07:03 PM   #18

We were not completely level either when the Level Up showed level, after calibration of the Level Up system, it has been level at every stop.
17.5 Goodyear G114's, RV Armor Roof
2018 RAM 3500 DRW, Curt Q24 Hitch

rob_fla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2015, 07:21 PM   #19

To set Zero point calibration:

Rev: 05.28.2015
Page 8
Level-Up® (Towable) Owners Manual
Zero Point Calibration
The “Zero Point” is the programmed point that the unit will return to each time the Auto Level feature is used.
The “Zero Point” must be programmed prior to using the Auto Level feature to ensure the proper operation of the
system.
N
OTE
:
Prior to starting this procedure, double check all connections on the controller, jacks, and touch pad.
Manually run the jacks to level the unit. This is best achieved by placing a level in the center of the unit
and leveling it both front to back and then side to side. (See “Basic Jack Operation” for instructions on
how to manually operate the system).
Once the unit is level, turn off the touch pad.
With the touch pad off, press and release the “FRONT” button (Fig. 1G) ten (10) times and then press
and release the “REAR” button (Fig. 1J) ten (10) times.
The touch pad will flash and beep and the display will read “ZERO POINT CALIBRATION ENTER to set,
Power to Exit” (Fig. 5).
To set the current position as the zero point, press the “ENTER” button (Fig. 1C).
LCD display will read “Zero Point stability check” (Fig. 6).
LCD display will read “Zero point set successfully” once process is complete (Fig. 7).
The system will set this point as its level state and the touch pad will turn off

This is from Lipperts manual here:

http://lci1.com/assets/content/suppo...ers_Manual.pdf

See page 8 for pictures of the display pad lcd also.

When I set ours I used 2 levels at once. A 2' and a 4' Placed both on the kitchen lino floor, using the 2' side to side, and the 4' front to back. Only took about a minute or 2 to change. Simple to do.

Chris
r time soon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2015, 09:48 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by atom ant View Post
Just a "little" nose down or a lot? It should have been calibrated at the factory which makes me a bit suspicious that the answer is that simple.

Its pretty easy to calibrate. If you need the sequence just shout and we can look it up. I just re-did mine last time out after reading the instructions on here and it corrected a "list I had to starboard"
I would say just a little nose down, enough to notice when inside the coach!

I'm guessing the factory did not calibrate the system! We're heading out tomorrow and will check all this stuff before we setup.