Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-10-2018, 10:26 PM   #1

LED Bulbs

I have the fixture that came with Halogen bulbs and swapped them out for the G4 LED.

Purchased them on Amazon and just not lasting. Any suggestions on what the best ones are to purchase.

Thanks, Steve
Old 10-10-2018, 10:49 PM   #2

Send a message via AIM to Shane Wood Send a message via MSN to Shane Wood Send a message via Yahoo to Shane Wood
Steve
I would look into replacing the fixture with a led one. 10.0 each. I get them through Tiara
Old 10-10-2018, 11:05 PM   #3

There is a lot of difference in quality of LEDs. We replaced all the halogens in our '12 and never had a failure. But they were purchased thru a couple on the Montana Forum, but are no longer are involved. Lots of folks swear by M4 products.
2018 Chevy 3500HD Crew Cab High Country DRW, D/A, 2016 RW39MB, Dual ACs, Auto Level, Auto Sat Dish, Stack W/D, King Sleep #, 17.5" Sailuns w/Disc, MORryde IS & Pin, Comfort Ride Hitch, 5.5 Onan, Res Fridge & Induction Cook Top
mhs4771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 11:48 PM   #4

True or false? This is what someone recommended on another forum, the replacement bulbs had to be rated for 12 to 24 volts, straight 12 volt will burn out when converter kicks in at 13+ volts. I don't know as I had the same luck you & wasn't going to keep buying high priced leds. We don't boondock so battery conservation wasn't an issue & I could buy a truck load of halogen bulbs for the price of a couple LEDs.
Traded '13 GMC Denali DRW D/A
Currently rv & truckless
Replacement undetermined
travelin' texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 02:09 AM   #5

Led bulbs

I changed out all of ours to leds from m4 products.They make and sell some of the best lamps you can buy.They cost more but you get what you pay for.
Donhutch1800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 05:54 AM   #6

We've owned our coach since March 2013 and have only lost one halogen lamp over the fridge area, none of the smaller ones in the slideouts. I changed all the main lamps in the bedroom just because of the halogen heat generation. I find it remarkable of 12, 000 miles of travel we've only had one halogen burn out, and that was over two years ago.

Jim & Mary 2013 36 RL with Titan Disc Brakes Residential Fridge Goodyear 17.5 H rated tires MORryde IS, MORryde pin box 2015 Ford F350 King Ranch DRW
Jim & Mary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 01:41 PM   #7
HTX

Bought most of mine on ebay

and had the same problem with them not lasting anywhere close to what they claimed. Apparently I was not alone on this issue. Last week I got check for $14.50 from the FTC settling a class action lawsuit filed against the company I bought them from.
Old 10-11-2018, 02:45 PM   #8
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Char & Steve View Post
I have the fixture that came with Halogen bulbs and swapped them out for the G4 LED.

Purchased them on Amazon and just not lasting. Any suggestions on what the best ones are to purchase.

Thanks, Steve

I have used LED's purchased from M4LED sinch 2014. I have only had one failure over the past 4 1/2 years with 4 months of use each year. I have replace nearly all of the halogens in our coach.

Here is a link:
G4 Double Pin Retrofit LED Lights

Usually, at the end of the year, they offer additional discount so I try to purchase at that time.

hoosierguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 05:29 PM   #9

Send a message via AIM to NW Snowbirds
HERO-LED SG4-12T-WW Side Pin G4 LED Disc Halogen Replacement Bulb, 2.4W, 20-25W Equal, Warm White 3000K, 5-Pack(Not Dimmable)
Sold by: HERO-LED USA Product question? Ask Seller
$17.99

Replaced all ceiling halogen light bulbs with Hero LEDs purchased on Amazon in 2016. Good price and no failures, Was able to replace 10 watt halogen with 20 watt equivalent Hero LEDs in same fixture increasing lumen output. Note they are warm white so no florescent like appearance. The light looks just like the halogens.
Old 10-20-2018, 07:27 PM   #10

Try these. I have been using them for 2 years.
Cheap and reliable. Long shipping time. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B075JGYRP2/ref=dp_prsubs_1
bvbond256@gmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2018, 02:22 AM   #11

Just had 1 of my ceiling halogen lights go out after 4 years. Took off the lense and saw the yellow halogen disc which is about the size of a quarter. Noticed there are 2 smalls screws holding the disc in place. Question is do I have to replace the whole can fixture or will the 4G side pin bulbs work directly in the halogen fixture? If so can anyone provide the process to switch to led, Thanks
Pullrite 18K Autoslide
Mega Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2018, 08:37 PM   #12

Send a message via AIM to NW Snowbirds
It sounds like you have LED and not halogen. The halogen bulbs are glass. If you have LED discs just pull the disc out of the fixture to the side and insert the pins of the replacement LED disc in the same holes.
Old 10-23-2018, 09:23 PM   #13

They changed to LED fixtures on about your year model that require replacing the entire fixture, light is non-replaceable. If you have the older style Snowbirds is referring to with just led replacing the halogen then the disc should pull out & push in.
Traded '13 GMC Denali DRW D/A
Currently rv & truckless
Replacement undetermined
travelin' texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2018, 11:17 PM   #14

Yes, replaced all the halogens with warm white LEDs from M4. Just pulled them out of std fixtures and slide LEDs in. That was in ‘12. No failures.
5th_Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2018, 04:15 PM   #15

Smile led upgrade from halogen

went thru this allready the heat generated by the halogens was tremendous,
Both ac were working hard in the unshaded rv park

did not know the exact brand or style needed for reliability? looked found a g 4 replacement.

new LED bulbs
they worked for a few weeks then would flicker and die wasted a bunch of change on that deal.

ordered some fixtures from amazon various styles all plastic lenses and all very cheap
didnt match other fixtures not as bright either,

found some exact replacement with frosted glass lenses on amazon they are very bright ,exact fit

found some kinda loose electrical connections doing these changeouts too, some had crimp caps some just wirenuts sometimes wire just came out of connection cap

Diamond Group 52525 4" 36-Diode LED Down Light with Frosted Glass

Diamond Group 52445 3" 15-Diode LED Down Light with Frosted Glass

these have a five year replacement warranty also,

k
proteus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2018, 01:50 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Char & Steve View Post

Thanks, Steve

You will probably have to pay more for these, but I think they are best out there. I talked with the Pres. a few years back and he said they were stating to supply the RV manufactures with their lights.

I haven't had one go bad yet.
Command Electronics
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote