Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-04-2012, 05:26 AM   #1

Okay so I forgot to ask the dealer a question, like I have stated in other posts we keep our unit at a local campground. We live about six miles from it and will be using it through out the Winter season (weekends)as we enjoy camping year round.So the question is this, Would you leave your slides out or bring them induring the week when your not there? our other unit was useable with slides in but the new BR is totally unusable with slides in.
Amishco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 06:48 AM   #2

if your unit is level and your leveling system is employed it is really your choice. If you were living in the coach full time you would have your slides out all of the time. For me it would depend on usage as setting our slides in our coach (36FL model) takes a couple of minutes including moving the ottomans from the chairs to the floor.
Old 12-04-2012, 08:06 AM   #3
Site Team

I agree with john.I would just leave them out if it were me.
Old 12-04-2012, 08:16 AM   #4

Bringing them in only takes a couple minutes and will reduce sun fade, protect the roofs from debris, limit exposure of the hydraulic rams to the elements and extend the life of your slide toppers if you have them. I'm sure there are other reasons to bring the slides in when you're not using the unit and I'm sure there are just as many valid reasons for leaving them out.
I'd be more concerned about placing some sort of barrier between the ground and the tires and jack pads. Tire covers will help extend the tire life too if you're going to parked long term.

As always..... just my opinion
TravelinAnderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 09:49 PM   #5

I also worry about ice and snow in northern US and Canada. We left our slides open for a few days earlier when we got a dusting of snow. Closed the slides and found a puddle on the floor the next day.

Your choice...

Old 12-06-2012, 04:42 PM   #6

I would leave them out. If the rubber side wall seals have any form of ice on them when you go to close the rooms, you risk the danger of ripping/pulling the seals out of the wall. I've seen many folks do more damage to the seals/rubber slide out roof, and toppers by trying to close the slides with snow/ice on them, than what could be caused by leaving them out. Just my humble opinion of course.

Old 12-06-2012, 05:06 PM   #7

I don't know what your snow situation is, but if I was in an area where there was a chance of getting a good dumping of snow, I would run them in. If the snow is slushy and than freezes it could do quit a bit of damage. Also, if you had a layer of ice on the slideout roofs and wanted to run them in, you wouldn't be able to. I'm a lifelong South Dakotan so I've seen a lot of winter. I think you would have less of a chance of doing damage by running the slides in as opposed to leaving them out.
Old 12-06-2012, 07:39 PM   #8

I have to agree with rcflame. You have more to loose than to gain by leaving the slides out. When everyting is in you have a tight unit that can withstand the rigors of winter.