Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-12-2015, 04:40 AM   #1

Leaking Levelling Jack(Lippert Auto Level System)

Anyone out there have any issues with there jacks leaking. With all 6- jacks down and trailer stationary for month it seems drivers side rear jack developed a leak,which seems to be coming from the 3- bolts on bottom of jack . Checked bolts but all tight ,but maybe because pressure on. Still waiting to here back from my RV Dealer on matter?
BobH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 02:27 PM   #2

Mine will do that in the winter, but stops once I start using it again. I'm sure mine probably has a bad O-ring.
atom ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 08:47 PM   #3

We went thru two leaking Jacks on our 36RL, both replaced under warranty, and thought we had a third, but it turned out to be a loose hydraulic line fitting on the Jack, tightened and was fine. So far no leaks on this 39MB.
2018 Chevy 3500HD Crew Cab High Country DRW, D/A, 2016 RW39MB, Dual ACs, Auto Level, Auto Sat Dish, Stack W/D, King Sleep #, 17.5" Sailuns w/Disc, MORryde IS & Pin, Comfort Ride Hitch, 5.5 Onan, Res Fridge & Induction Cook Top
mhs4771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 09:57 PM   #4
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobH View Post
Anyone out there have any issues with there jacks leaking. With all 6- jacks down and trailer stationary for month it seems drivers side rear jack developed a leak,which seems to be coming from the 3- bolts on bottom of jack . Checked bolts but all tight ,but maybe because pressure on. Still waiting to here back from my RV Dealer on matter?

This is caused by a bad o-ring and it'll only get worse. The company will just replace the whole jack. To prevent this in the future, spray down your leveler legs while they're extend with a silicone and wipe them clean of any dust or dirt. The dirt acts like sand paper on the o-rings. Redwood replaced one of mine
Old 10-13-2015, 05:45 AM   #5

I had one of my front jacks replaced under warranty a couple of years ago. RW approved a mobile tech to perform the work. I do wipe them down often and spray with silicon.
Old 10-14-2015, 03:44 PM   #6

A couple years ago, I had a slightly leaking front jack and Lippert sent techs to replace them at the rally. When they arrived with the jack, the ram was bright silver rather than the dark grey of the originals. When I objected, they said it was a production change and they would even replace both fronts if I wanted. I thought Yikes, "the cure is worse than the disease."

Later, after I did the CAT anti-stiction oil treatment, I noticed the jack seepage had stopped. That was a year ago... coincidence??
Mike & Pam '12 36RL, Kodiak Discs, 17.5" G114s H-Rated, SRE4000 w/HD Shackles, Joy Rider Shocks, Flex Air, 5.5 Onan, W&D, DW, 4 Scare Lights, (2) 6V Trojan T-145s; Progressive EMS-HW50C, Winegard DTV Sat, Sony/Denon 4K Home Theater, WiFiRanger EliteAC Pack, weBoost 4G-X Cell Booster.

2022 RAM 3500 Limited CC, LB, 4x4, DRW, Max Tow, Cummins HO, AISIN, 4.10, Mopar 30K w/OEM Prep, Transfer Flow 70gal Aux Tank/Toolbox.
5th_Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2015, 07:03 PM   #7

What's the cat anti-sticktion oil treatment? Will you please enlighten me? I haven't heard of it.
TexasRver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2015, 07:56 PM   #8

Here is a link to Lipperts' page on the subject.

http://www.redwoodowners.com/forums/...7a42a5a2e6a811

They actually list 3 different products you can use. I found the Torco fluid at my local motorcycle shop. It's RFF (racing fork fluid)

chris
r time soon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2015, 09:20 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasRver View Post
What's the cat anti-sticktion oil treatment? Will you please enlighten me? I haven't heard of it.
Here is the actual LCI memo
Old 10-15-2015, 05:58 PM   #10

Great info on the fluid additive. Thank youDoug
TexasRver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2015, 08:11 PM   #11

I had a leaking jack 2 years ago and it was the plug in the top of the jack, the o ring was bad. All that was require was change the o ring, Lippert changed the whole jack. Some of the jacks only have 3 lines on the top, the fourth hole is plugged. that is where mine was leaking. You might want to look there
Old 10-15-2015, 11:20 PM   #12

We had a leaking front jack in May. Woke up with the nose on the ground. Added fluid to retract Jacks for hook up and then one of the rear Jacks wouldn't retract. Had to remove it to tow home. Both replaced by Redwood.
Old 10-16-2015, 12:58 AM   #13

So I been reading about level jacks leaking and yes it's a fact they do. Also on this forum the offer different solutions for it . I went to motorsportland SLC UT this week to look at some 15 models and see what was different in the quality and others and the salesman said he had never even heart about this issue. So I showed him the forum conversation also pointed out at least 5 or 8 little things that are wrong with the coach just from walking in, after talking to him for 30min he was very happy that a redwood full timer could point out all this little things with out even living in it. No disrespect to RW but the need to step up the touch up quality on the product if the want to keep charging what a house mortgage is.
Old 10-16-2015, 05:29 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaidocl View Post
So I been reading about level jacks leaking and yes it's a fact they do. Also on this forum the offer different solutions for it . I went to motorsportland SLC UT this week to look at some 15 models and see what was different in the quality and others and the salesman said he had never even heart about this issue. .
Salesman and Service Managers are trained to give the look of surprise for each issue you present to them, even if they have 5 in the back they already are working. They are trained very weil - not even a curled lip when they say they have never heard of an ST tire blowing out

They are good!
Old 04-04-2019, 07:32 PM   #15

LevelUp jack replacement

I seem to have a leak at the top of the leg and discovered a small scratch. Has anyone replaced a jack on their own?
LoSt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 07:57 PM   #16

Yes , very easy, just make sure when you start take the pressure off the jack that needs replaced by raising them up. then uncouple the hoses, make sure you have a rag so you can keep the connections clean from dirt before reconnecting to the new jack. Also ,note when you unbolt the defective jack to make sure what holes on the frame you have to rebolt the new jack too. Very Easy. Hope this helped BobH
BobH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 10:02 PM   #17

LevelUp jack replacement

Thanks BobH,
While I was waiting for a reply I decided to check YouTube and sure enough, there was a video on replacing the jack! I guess I should have checked there first...
Here is the link for the other Redwood owners.
LoSt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 10:47 PM   #18

Check if there's a hydraulic repair shop, tractor service shops or oilfield shops locally or near by, they can rebuild your jacks for about 25% of the cost of a new one from Lippert. If the ram is bent or heavy scored then replacement would be best.
Traded '13 GMC Denali DRW D/A
Currently rv & truckless
Replacement undetermined
travelin' texans is offline   Reply With Quote