Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-18-2012, 12:22 PM   #1

With the onset of monsoon season here in southern AZ, we just discovered a leak in the slide within a slide on our 10 month old 2012 36RL. No problem heretofore, but it's there now. It's in the front part of the slides. We've pulled in just the big slide, still leaks, just the little slide, still leaks. Only way it doesn't leak is with both slides in. Going back to the dealer tomorrow (Lazy Days in Tucson). They've been great in fixing any and all issues we've had with our Redwood. One year inspection coming up in Oct. Anyone have any issues with leaks? Haven't seen any yet on the forum.
Old 07-18-2012, 12:28 PM   #2

We found a slight leak at the top of the large window in the rear of our 36RL. The shop found that the window was warped and is in the process of replacing it. We have slide toppers on the kitchen and bedroom slides so if they leak it's well hidden.
Old 07-18-2012, 05:38 PM   #3

Our 36RE bedroom slide is leaking onto the vinyl. The dealer said they rain tack was made about an inch too short. We are waiting on the part. Hopefully they won't have to pull the whole slide out to fix - I am very nervous about that idea as the quality of tech workmanship is not the best. The dining room slide has a bent bracket on the underside that prevents the slide from coming all the way in. It appears to be bent and welded poorly. I am concerned about damages I can't see and will come back to haunt later.
Old 07-18-2012, 10:25 PM   #4
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lon & Connie

With the onset of monsoon season here in southern AZ, we just discovered a leak in the slide within a slide on our 10 month old 2012 36RL. No problem heretofore, but it's there now. It's in the front part of the slides. We've pulled in just the big slide, still leaks, just the little slide, still leaks. Only way it doesn't leak is with both slides in. Going back to the dealer tomorrow (Lazy Days in Tucson). They've been great in fixing any and all issues we've had with our Redwood. One year inspection coming up in Oct. Anyone have any issues with leaks? Haven't seen any yet on the forum.
I've had mine in heavy rains but haven't found any leaks at all. The problems I have had the company has stood behind without any arguments.
Old 07-19-2012, 12:47 PM   #5
Dan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Camper
Our 36RE bedroom slide is leaking onto the vinyl. The dealer said they rain tack was made about an inch too short. We are waiting on the part. Hopefully they won't have to pull the whole slide out to fix - I am very nervous about that idea as the quality of tech workmanship is not the best. The dining room slide has a bent bracket on the underside that prevents the slide from coming all the way in. It appears to be bent and welded poorly. I am concerned about damages I can't see and will come back to haunt later.

Can you post a picture of the part that is short, my slide on the dining room side is also leaking into the vinyl and I can't seem to find where its coming in at. Thanks

Dan

07 Dodge 3500, Exhaust Brake, Edge Programer, Killer "B" Turbo
13 RL ALL options except Gen and W/D
Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 05:40 PM   #6

I will take a picture while they have both pieces side by side so we can see the difference.
Old 07-20-2012, 12:46 AM   #7

Lon and Connie:
I just wanted to say hello, we just bought a 31SL and we are staying at Fort Huachuca as well. We will be picking up our new rig Sat. I have seen your rig as I walk around. It looks very nice. Hope to talk to you soon.

Jeff and Teri
Old 07-20-2012, 06:00 PM   #8

Went to the dealer yesterday. They said the rubber around slide corners wasn't sitting correctly and fixed it. Rained last night and it leaked. Today IboughtThetford Rubber slide lubricant and sealer/UV protectant. I'll try that. I'm assuming the rubber has dried out some here in the AZ desert sun. More to follow.
Lon & Connie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 06:05 PM   #9

Stop by and take a tour. I assume you purchased from Lazy Days. They have a great repair facility (even if you have to go back twice on the same issue). We can tell you all of the little things that we've had to have fixed, replaced, adjusted. Still love the coach.

What space # are you in?

Regards,

lon
Old 07-20-2012, 09:38 PM   #10

I noticed with the bedroom slide in on the re, I can see day light coming in at the top of both corners. day light means a leak.

Lillyputz
Old 07-20-2012, 09:44 PM   #11

I see the same thing when the bedroom slide is in on our 38BR on the corner right above the frig...

Old 07-21-2012, 12:16 AM   #12

I have not noticed this, but will take a closer look. Thanks
Old 10-12-2012, 01:50 PM   #13

We also have the 36RL with the slide within a slide. We've had it out several times when raining cats and dogs, but (knock on wood) we haven't had a leak yet. Very well could be the hot, dry Arizona weather. I'd try the lube on all rubber gaskets around the slides.
Old 10-12-2012, 09:29 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by gipper22

We also have the 36RL with the slide within a slide. We've had it out several times when raining cats and dogs, but (knock on wood) we haven't had a leak yet. Very well could be the hot, dry Arizona weather. I'd try the lube on all rubber gaskets around the slides.

We also have the slide within a slide. the bottom of the main slide is bowed out in the center, over a inch and does not seal at the bottom when closed. you can put your little finger between the slide and the rubber seal. Another item on the list. Just like raking leaves. everytime you turn around, there is another one.

Lillyputz
Old 10-14-2012, 07:48 PM   #15

Lazy Days fixed the leak on our slide within a slide. It appears that the bottom slide rail on the front of the slide w/i a slide had a screw that wasn't tight or the sealant had been compromised. They tightened all screws and re-siliconed the rail and now it rains cats and dogs and does not leak. It was difficult for them to find the leak, but between me pointing out exactly where water was coming in and them working every angle of what the problem could be, they solved the problem.

PS: We came to the end of our first year, had Lazy Days conduct the annual inspection and mailed it all off to Redwood. I called them a month later to ensure they had received it and that it met the requirement. Redwood assured that they had it and it did meet the requirement for the annual inspection. Finally, after a year, just like building a new home, the punch list is complete and everything in our 2012 Redwood 36RL works correctly and the company covered everything. We are enjoying the coach a lot.
Old 05-06-2019, 03:52 PM   #16

I’m also having the very same problem on my 36RE, can you please forward me any pics and/or additional information for repairs. nwirt74@gmail.com