Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-18-2014, 12:47 AM   #1

Key broke off in one of the "slam latches"

Upon trying to get into the main front compartment under the pin, while inserting the key it broke off. I had lithium greased all the other latches, but forgot these two. All these latches, when new, are very hard to get a key to go into, and the grease helps a lot. I guess I can talk RW into sending me a new latch, since I am fulltiming in my unit right now for work, but not real sure, as I've heard on this forum that they won't direct ship anymore. I can unlock the right hand latch, and pry a little on the left side to get the door open, so I could do the job myself. How do I get them to send me one? I also had to remove, and reinstall the Bauer NE door lock, as the deadbolt was stuck in the locked position, and couldn't be moved by the inside locking knob. Being forced to open the lock, I found a void warranty sticker, but I had no choice, I was locked in my trailer. After removing the cover, and applying some lithium grease to the inside of that, The lock knob now works, but I'm wondering if it would be replaced under warranty, where I was stuck inside, and forced into that option?
Old 10-18-2014, 01:43 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryL View Post
Upon trying to get into the main front compartment under the pin, while inserting the key it broke off. I had lithium greased all the other latches, but forgot these two. All these latches, when new, are very hard to get a key to go into, and the grease helps a lot. I guess I can talk RW into sending me a new latch, since I am fulltiming in my unit right now for work, but not real sure, as I've heard on this forum that they won't direct ship anymore. I can unlock the right hand latch, and pry a little on the left side to get the door open, so I could do the job myself. How do I get them to send me one? I also had to remove, and reinstall the Bauer NE door lock, as the deadbolt was stuck in the locked position, and couldn't be moved by the inside locking knob. Being forced to open the lock, I found a void warranty sticker, but I had no choice, I was locked in my trailer. After removing the cover, and applying some lithium grease to the inside of that, The lock knob now works, but I'm wondering if it would be replaced under warranty, where I was stuck inside, and forced into that option?
Don't know why you would try to get Redwood to pay for a latch when it wasn't lubricated properly.
Old 10-18-2014, 01:57 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Railcat View Post
Don't know why you would try to get Redwood to pay for a latch when it wasn't lubricated properly.
It came that way new, 2 weeks ago. Is my responsibility to have to lube them, for the warranty to cover it, when the factory sent it this way new? I don't remember reading in the owners manual that I had to lube them, when new. I just lubed them for ease of use.
Old 10-18-2014, 02:04 AM   #4

That's one thing about owning an RV you had better be good about maintenance and fixing things yourself or you'll be calling Redwood every month or visiting the dealer often.
Old 10-18-2014, 02:07 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Railcat View Post
That's one thing about owning an RV you had better be good about maintenance and fixing things yourself or you'll be calling Redwood every month or visiting the dealer often.
You did notice that I said this RV was 2 weeks old, and came this way, right? I have owned RVs for better than 15 years now, and these are the first latches that will hardly accept the key when new. It broke off going in.
Old 10-18-2014, 02:23 AM   #6

Yes I noticed, 2 weeks old or 2 years old latches need lubed or they won't work properly. A good dealer would have caught this in a PDI, or should have been fixed before you took delivery but they didn't. Redwood is a great company and most likely will pay for your latch, key, and shipping but its not their fault the key broke in the latch. There are many things that need lubed once in your possession, slide seals, hinges, latches, electric slide rails, spare tire cable mech, pin box, hydraulic jack rams, steps, etc...
Old 10-18-2014, 02:36 AM   #7

^ So, it's the dealers job to lube new latches that come from the factory? Thanks, I didn't know. I also realize, and do lube my trailers.
Old 10-18-2014, 02:37 AM   #8

Now, maybe we can move on to some emails that I have saw posted on here in other threads. Anybody have any?
Old 10-18-2014, 02:58 AM   #9

I'm with Jerry at 100k very disappointed in the quality.

Jim & Susie, 2014 36FL, 2012 F-250 6.2 trailer saver TS3
superduty glampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2014, 04:16 AM   #10
Site Team

Seriously folks.....It's not that difficult to lubricate latches, check the air in the tires and put grease in the zerks. It's the same if your pulling a pop-up or driving a 500K diesel pusher.
Old 10-18-2014, 04:27 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave&Ginny View Post
Seriously folks.....It's not that difficult to lubricate latches, check the air in the tires and put grease in the zerks. It's the same if your pulling a pop-up or driving a 500K diesel pusher.
It's brand new, and days old. Do you lube the key holes on a new car when you buy it? Do you do all you say above, as soon as you get it home? These latches never worked right from day one, that's why I lubed all but 2 of them. I missed the genny compartment, and when I inserted the key in the first latch, it broke. You guys can keep taking up for RW, after investing as much as a small house in it, but the truth is the truth. RW is a low quality company, for the money difference. The slam latches on my Heartlands, and Kountry Stars never acted like this.
Old 10-18-2014, 11:31 AM   #12

I don't get it. Why would you need to lube the key hole? I have a 2012 model and have never lubed the key hole. I have done so on a s&b before, used graphite. I have never lubed a key hole on anything else, except a frozen car lock.
Old 10-18-2014, 12:37 PM   #13

I understand our angst Jerry...

SOMEONE other than you should have prepped a two week old coach
johnboytoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2014, 12:50 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by homeguy View Post
I don't get it. Why would you need to lube the key hole? I have a 2012 model and have never lubed the key hole. I have done so on a s&b before, used graphite. I have never lubed a key hole on anything else, except a frozen car lock.
Right. You shouldn't have to, on a brand new unit. The keyhole lubing is to make it to where the key can actually be inserted into the hole easily, and be able to turn the key smoothly. On this unit, every slam latch was almost impossible to get a key into.
Old 10-18-2014, 02:35 PM   #15

Jee-Zoots - Its a broken key!

It doesn't deserve 2 pages of brand slam. Believe me - these manufacturers all share the same post office box and they buy the same parts. The only thing different is the logo!

The Dealers are having a hard time remembering to put batteries in these, so you might just have to do a little due diligence and lube your own lock if it sticks, or let it sit in line at the Dealership for another 8 weeks.

Redwood will work with you to find a Crossroads Dealer in your path to send the latch to, or if you want really fast service, drop $20 and go direct to the latch maker and write it off as you should have remembered to lube it when you noticed it was sticking.

It is a long stressful path of ownership when stressing the small stuff.
atom ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2014, 03:15 PM   #16

This has been an interesting thread for me as a newbee. I also have a 2015 that had some delivery issues, but my real question is...
Is there a list of all the preventative maintenance tasks an owner is expected to do from day 1 onward and an associated schedule? I'm pretty sure my dealer did something to prep my coach prior to delivery, but they did not seem to have much specific knowledge of the Redwood 38RL configuration I had, so I really should also go through the whole prep myself to avoid future problems.
I'm still trying to get a complete set of documentation for all the various components in the coach and when I do, I guess I will have the answer to my own question. But you Senior Members have been a very good resource in the past for my dumb questions!
2015 38RL with MORryde IS, residential fridge, DW, washer and dryer, generator, and slide in slide. 2 A/C, 1 HP and a fireplace. Added 17.5 inch wheels. Follows a 2013 Ram dually diesel with 8' bed and Reese 20K.
RW Cal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2014, 03:39 PM   #17

RWCal,

What documentation are you missing? there is a comprehensive manual set on the other forum that can be downloaded, or we can help you here if we have it!
Old 10-18-2014, 04:07 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by atom ant View Post
Jee-Zoots - Its a broken key!

It doesn't deserve 2 pages of brand slam. Believe me - these manufacturers all share the same post office box and they buy the same parts. The only thing different is the logo!

The Dealers are having a hard time remembering to put batteries in these, so you might just have to do a little due diligence and lube your own lock if it sticks, or let it sit in line at the Dealership for another 8 weeks.

Redwood will work with you to find a Crossroads Dealer in your path to send the latch to, or if you want really fast service, drop $20 and go direct to the latch maker and write it off as you should have remembered to lube it when you noticed it was sticking.

It is a long stressful path of ownership when stressing the small stuff.
The thread wasn't meant to be a brand slam. I love my 36RL. I am completely satisfied with it, and don't care at all to fix minor issues. I was just wondering the appropriate email address to converse with the right people at RW. It kind of went sideways when the first poster said that RW shouldn't be held responsible for the sticking lock under warranty. I am still wondering who the right email is at RW, that could help with both locks.
Old 10-18-2014, 04:11 PM   #19

I wish I could help Jerry, but I don't know anymore. The folks I used to email are no longer there. Can your Dealer get the lock and forward it when he gets it in?
Old 10-18-2014, 04:34 PM   #20

^I'm also not good at searching forums, and remember that you switched out your awning bolts. Can you remind me what size you used, in case when I look, they need to be switched out?