Old 09-20-2012, 09:12 AM   #11

If you plan to move often then I too would opt for the disc brakes and G rated tires. I have the standard 16" spoke wheels with the Marathon tires and have about 10,000 miles on them.
Although I've had no problems with the tires, I've had two wheels crack at the spokes. I am heading back to the factory to address some warranty work and figure out a solution to my wheel issues. As I mentioned to Redwood, I'm not overweight and travel mostly on the interstates so I consider my usage normal for a full timer.
BTW... Congrats on your new rig! What will you be towing it with?

TravelinAnderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 09:21 AM   #12

I didn't read carefully but we got the second awning & love it! We didn't know until too late that we could have had wind sensors for the two awnings & wish we had them but very expensive to install after.
Old 09-20-2012, 09:26 AM   #13

As for the heat and the large rear window. We have an RL and recently while at the Vermont Samboree had a shade (like those you see on the front window of MHs) made to snap on the rear window. You don't have to use it all the time, but if that back window faces the sun the shade does a good job of stopping a lot of the heat yet still allows you to see out.
2018 Chevy 3500HD Crew Cab High Country DRW, D/A, 2016 RW39MB, Dual ACs, Auto Level, Auto Sat Dish, Stack W/D, King Sleep #, 17.5" GY114s w/Disc, MORryde IS & Pin, Comfort Ride Hitch, 5.5 Onan, Res Fridge & Induction Cook Top
mhs4771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 09:49 AM   #14

Towing it with, hmmm thats a great question that I am still pondering with. Right now I have a 2006 F150 and know that my local Ford dealer will give me a great trade in due to low miles and the shape that I keep it in. I have a deal with Grumbines RV in Harrisburg who is the dealer that the rig will be delivered to from factory, that they will deliver and set it up on our site at Spring Gulch campground. I know I'm putting the cart before the horse, but not wanting another truck payment right now seemed like the way to go. I have been looking at F-350 or 450's desiel's but Andy from Redwood said I would have no problem pulling with the 350. please suggest your thoughts on trucks asI am new to the 5th wheel towing as I have a 31' TT now.
Amishco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 11:15 AM   #15

Personally, because of the size and weight of a BR rig, I would not go less an a 1 ton dually. brand is up to personal choice as any of the Big three will work. Redwoods aren't as heavy as Mobile Suites and such, but they're not light weights either. The pin weight on most models will overload a 250/2500 and even most of the SRW 350/3500s. But thats just our feelings as we do a lot of traveling and plan to do even more. I've done the "White Knuckle" thing with a small TT and 1/2 ton TV, no more.
2018 Chevy 3500HD Crew Cab High Country DRW, D/A, 2016 RW39MB, Dual ACs, Auto Level, Auto Sat Dish, Stack W/D, King Sleep #, 17.5" GY114s w/Disc, MORryde IS & Pin, Comfort Ride Hitch, 5.5 Onan, Res Fridge & Induction Cook Top
Old 09-20-2012, 12:07 PM   #16

We're awaiting delivery of our 36rl and traded in our 3/4 ton GMC and got a 1 ton diesel 4x4 GMCdually. We didn't want to take any chances with being underpowered or even worse, having less braking than would be needed, or difficulty with handling. Tires, brakes, suspension, etc. have to be able to manage the load for safety's sake. Also, from what we've read on this forum (thank God for this forum !!! so many good people and tons of great info!!!!) and elsewhere, going with too small a TV can result in problems if god forbid you have an accident. Insurance companies evidently seize on any excuse to not pay and having too small a TV seems to be one of their favorites for denying claims.
Old 09-20-2012, 01:19 PM   #17

'12 GMC Dually Diesel 4x4 tows anything, any weight, anytime . Love the exhaust brake, Allison trans and tow/haul mode.Also orderedthe Trail Air Tri-Glide which smoothes everything out.I have to keep looking in themirrors to make surethe Redwood is still attached. Even with the 4x4, the Reese Elite 18K hitch adjusts just low enough to level out therig.

Also suggest getting the bolt-in 60gal Titan fuel tank. I hate taking an exit to fuel up traveling with the 5th Wheel. You never know what you're getting yourself into...
Mike & Pam '12 36RL, Kodiak Discs, 17.5" G114s H-Rated, SRE4000 w/HD Shackles, Joy Rider Shocks, Flex Air, 5.5 Onan, W&D, DW, 4 Scare Lights, (2) 6V Trojan T-145s; Progressive EMS-HW50C, Winegard DTV Sat, Sony/Denon 4K Home Theater, WiFiRanger EliteAC Pack, weBoost 4G-X Cell Booster.

'18 GMC Denali 3500HD CC, 4x4, DRW, DuraMax, Allison, Curt Q25 w/OEM Prep, Intellihaul Cameras, Transfer Flow 70gal Aux Tank/Toolbox.
5th_Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 06:05 PM   #18
Dan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amishco

Towing it with, hmmm thats a great question that I am still pondering with. Right now I have a 2006 F150 and know that my local Ford dealer will give me a great trade in due to low miles and the shape that I keep it in. I have a deal with Grumbines RV in Harrisburg who is the dealer that the rig will be delivered to from factory, that they will deliver and set it up on our site at Spring Gulch campground. I know I'm putting the cart before the horse, but not wanting another truck payment right now seemed like the way to go. I have been looking at F-350 or 450's desiel's but Andy from Redwood said I would have no problem pulling with the 350. please suggest your thoughts on trucks asI am new to the 5th wheel towing as I have a 31' TT now.

If your looking at a Ford may I suggest looking at the F450, the F350 will do but its nice to have that extra capacity and the 450 has 19 inch tires, abiggerrear end and much more. I tow with a Ram 3500 and with the rig loaded up we are right at the max and may have to look at a 4500

07 Dodge 3500, Exhaust Brake, Edge Programer, Killer "B" Turbo
13 RL ALL options except Gen and W/D
Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 08:25 PM   #19

I think I've read on other forums that the F450 actually has slightly less towing capacity than an F350 due to the 450 being a much heavier truck, haven't checked the numbers myself. I also think that for some strange reason the Dodge 3500 towing capacity is much less than either Ford or Chevy, don't know why.
Old 09-20-2012, 09:07 PM   #20

Send a message via Yahoo to RollsRoyce

Amishco

When you make your deal for 2 batteries be sure to request 27 or 29 series matching batteries you will be glad you did...They gave me 2 type 24's Interstate...
they said that they don't carry anything else ...All they have to do is call their battery guy and and pay a very few dollars more and they can get what you want....They can do that the day the order is placed and charge the batteries fully and then install them when your unit arrives...I would also find out if they will install a hardwired surge protector at the factory
RW36FB
RollsRoyce is offline   Reply With Quote